Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peter Kendrick
    • By Peter Kendrick 11th Aug 19, 2:48 PM
    • 105Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Peter Kendrick
    Check your State Pension error
    • 11th Aug 19, 2:48 PM
    Check your State Pension error 11th Aug 19 at 2:48 PM
    For several years I have monitored my State Pension forecast on the government website. I last checked on 24 June 2019 and took a screenshot. It said that I could get my State Pension on 6 September 2019 and my forecast was 168.60 per week. It clearly stated that if I was working I may still need to pay NI contributions until 6 September. I am not working and it made no mention of what to do in these circumstances.

I have just received a letter from DWP stating I will get a pension of 134.76 per week. I have checked the forecast online and it has been changed. I am devastated as it is 33.84p per week less than what I have been advised for the last few years, around 20% less.

Is it a mistake or is the Government forecast website not fit for purpose? What can I do?
Page 3
    • bonnyrigger
    • By bonnyrigger 19th Aug 19, 10:23 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    bonnyrigger
    Thanks for the responses, think I've got it now.
  • jamesd
    The COPE figure is irrelevant as it's a theoretical figure calculated to get the transition between the old pension with SERPS/S2P & the new single tier pension.
    Originally posted by DBdoobydoo
    It's irrelevant for the state pension but it has a bit of value as an estimate of how much of a DB scheme's payments are due to it and the employees being contracted out.
    • MizzPenniless
    • By MizzPenniless 22nd Aug 19, 4:50 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MizzPenniless
    I've just re-checked my pension forecast after reading this thread. I am confused as it says I have credits for years when I was still at school - does anyone else have this and could it be a mistake?
    • nick74
    • By nick74 22nd Aug 19, 5:15 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    nick74
    I've just re-checked my pension forecast after reading this thread. I am confused as it says I have credits for years when I was still at school - does anyone else have this and could it be a mistake?
    Originally posted by MizzPenniless
    That is correct, students used to get NI credits for the tax years containing their 16th, 17th and 18th birthdays. It has stopped for students reaching that age now, but anyone who got these NI credits under the old rules retains them.
    • MizzPenniless
    • By MizzPenniless 22nd Aug 19, 5:40 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    MizzPenniless
    That is correct, students used to get NI credits for the tax years containing their 16th, 17th and 18th birthdays. It has stopped for students reaching that age now, but anyone who got these NI credits under the old rules retains them.
    Originally posted by nick74
    Thanks, good to know it's not a mistake!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,237Posts Today

6,075Users online

Martin's Twitter