Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,319Posts
    • 13,926Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 18, 6:09 PM
    * Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas * - It's the 2019 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 18 at 6:09 PM

Hello and welcome to the 8th Christmas Chatter Thread.

Itís hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads Ė the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2019!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2018 at 6:34 PM. Reason: tidying up
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 SPC 11 - £975 SPC 12 - £705 (so far - as at 16/06/19)
Page 18
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 15th Jul 19, 9:54 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Thanks CAZ and welcome back.

REDREDROBIN welcome back - are you going to keep us guessing your true identity? Will there be clues?
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 16th Jul 19, 1:02 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    LMG1305
    Hi All, I'm back again. I seem to get really busy at the beginning of every year & then come the summer all I can think about is Christmas

I haven't bought anything yet for Christmas but have made a few plans. Me & my sisters have set low budgets for each other, but we are planning to have a day together closer to Christmas, baking Christmas cookies, listening to Christmas music & making some Christmas presents for other people.

I have been trying to keep an eye out for any gift ideas in the sales that seem to be popping up everywhere lately. I haven't found anything though that I think would make a good present for anyone. I think I'll make a list of everyone & try to think of some ideas before I spend any money.

Not a lot else going on. We've had our family holiday this year, which was amazing. Looking to book a short break later in the year, but nothing confirmed yet. DD2 finishes primary school this week & it's making me so sad. They grow up so quickly!
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 17th Jul 19, 12:55 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 18,201 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Been really busy so not had time to do a catch up. Hope all well with everyone.

Think I am in a position to focus on Christmas now! Cakes done a few bits bought in Amazon Prime sale, will go through my list and see where I am now
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • murie
    • By murie 18th Jul 19, 5:22 AM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 10,264 Thanks
    murie
    DD's birthday was yesterday so now I can concentrate on Christmas planning!

Good to see some of the old names coming back x.

Not had much to post but have been reading along. Im sorry (inadequate wording ) for those that are having , or have friends and relatives, that aren't in the best of health or have troubles x.

Im saving on an Asda card towards Christmas and have started one for my Mom too.
    Ive also bought some small reindeer for our Christmas wreath making evening (£1.37 from E*ay) and an embossed wooden rolling pin to make gingerbread cookies . I've had a go at making some dough gingerbread figures (some of which look like they are related to Mr Blobby !) that is about the sum total of my Christmas planning so far.
    I need to up my surveys as my Paypal pennies are severely depleted and I like to try to keep my crafting obsession money neutral.
    lovin' this site!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 18th Jul 19, 8:52 AM
    • 959 Posts
    • 16,904 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi,I'm back from hols. Hi to all.

I am ready to knuckle down for Christmas now too.There has been so much change, upheaval,stress and distress this year.It is ongoing too.I need a gentle distraction.

Is the mystery poster Chrissy? Or giyd just fancying another new name? lol.

I am concentrating on getting the house ready to sell now.Lots of change and hard work to come.Today the old sofa is being collected by a charity ,new one coming.Someone is coming to dismantle and take away one of the sheds.That will leave a space that I need to spend a good amount of time making it look like part of the garden instead of a shed base!I have bought 2 metal garden chairs and a bistro table for the garden.They are currently dark green,hopefully by the end of the day they will be primrose yellow.I am trying to be money neutral with all this house prep.Back to selling stuff now.

Love to all xxx
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 18th Jul 19, 9:23 AM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 18,079 Thanks
    nic2075
    mrsinvisible - I don't know whether to react or to your Grandson's news. What did their parents say? I swear kids when one problem is over (like school) they find another one to stress their family over. At one point last year when daughter seemed settled she then acquired ans unsuitable boyfriend (18, she was 15, he wasn't working or in college, stank of weed). He ended up dumping her for another girl, who is now pregnant to him, think we dodged a bullet there! Poor dog, how sad.

nic - At 14 unfortunately there are not many jobs that your daughter can do. There are so many employment regulations surrounding them, right up until they stop being what's called CSA (compulsory school age) which is until the last Friday in June when they're in yr11. She's pretty much restricted to a paper round, unless there are any odd jobs she can do for neighbours etc. Daughter has a 'holiday' job feeding a neighbour's cat when they're away. He pays her well for it (£50 for a fortnight once!) but it's infrequent work. Are the dance school going to do fund-raising to reduce the cost? Could all or part of it be Xmas/birthday present from you/other family members? Does it run every year, is it something she could do another time giving longer to save? Daughter does drama, it's what she's going to study at college, but on the times we've dipped our toes (pardon the pun!) into the dance world the prices are incredibly extortionate. (character shoes for a production of Chicago recently for example, she was in the chorus at the very back, I'm just glad I didn't pay for heels that were a further £20 and I'm glad we already owned the leotard!)

Peppa - Thank you, yes releived it's all over. You could offer me all the money in the world and if the stipulation was I had to live these last 12 months again, I wouldn't take it.

I love this thread that you can dip in and out over months and years and you're welcomed back as though you've never been gone
    Originally posted by Spendless

The dance school will do lots of fundraising. We usually do bag packing, displays, race nights, hampers to raffle etc. But it depends on how many go, itís not decided who is all going, so the fundraising might have to be split further. It is on every year, but in dancing terms, she is getting old so really her teacher wants her to have a good chance next year. She dancing well and is fit. She is often plagued by injuryís and pains in her shins and calves. So just want to let her have this chance.
    There is a waiting list for papaerounds, but her name is on it. They do win money prizes at the Highland games. But her entry fees are more. So it kind of defeats the purpose of paying to go and win money, but then itís her money to win. So we will do some games, but Iím not entering ones far away just to try and win money back. We will spend more on dance entry, petrol and entry to the games.
    • Redredrobin
    • By Redredrobin 18th Jul 19, 11:35 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Redredrobin
    Peppapig -I have sent you PM
    Last edited by Redredrobin; 18-07-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    Finally Debt free June 2019
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 18th Jul 19, 12:00 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 12,657 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all, I donít know if itís because itís July but my mind keeps wandering to Christmas and I even watched the Gavin & Stacey Christmas special yesterday! Iíve just got to get Wiggleís birthday and party done and then Iíll be able to concentrate properly on what I need to do etc. Busy today getting a few bits ready for Wiggleís last day in Foundation tomorrow, we always make a donation to the school instead of presents but I have decided to make some brownies today with him for his teacher. I canít believe his time in Foundation is already done, I know itís a massive clich! but it really does only feel like yesterday we were taking him for settling in days etc!

Spendless sorry to hear about things with your daughter at school, Iím glad sheís through it now and hopefully a new start at college will be positive.

mrsinvisible wow thatís an unusual celebration for a 16yo! Aw your poor cousinís dog, you donít expect anything like that just playing ball!

Peppa congratulations on your new grandson, wonderful news!

Caz Iím so sorry to hear what has happened to you and your dad, that must have been a tough year for you. Fingers crossed treatment is working for your dad. Glad to hear you finally got your dream house, enjoy making it a home!

LMG good to see you again! Oh I can imagine what it must feel like with DD2 finishing primary school, itís scary how much time flies!
    • Joyfullyfestive
    • By Joyfullyfestive 18th Jul 19, 3:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Joyfullyfestive
    Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I love this thread and my love of Christmas is what I'm using to inspire me to come out of my shell and finally embrace the internet and social media!

Went into poundland today, they had Christmas fragrance airfreshener candles in: bloome indulgent vanilla for £1, airwick winter wonderland, mulled wine and winter berries for £2 each and a airwick advent calendar for £5.

Also tesco had a Yankee candle exclusive candle collection, half price at £20, great to split into several gifts.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 18th Jul 19, 5:27 PM
    • 959 Posts
    • 16,904 Thanks
    vulpix
    It's me again! I have read back properly now and caught up on everyones news.Congratulations and hugs where appropriate xxx

Nic I am so pleased you all had an amazing holiday,so very well deserved for you all. If your daughter could find a baby sitting job or lawn cutting etc it would help. It's such an awkward age for work,mine were desperate to work but found only grass cutting and paper rounds at the time.How about car boot sales? and FB selling.It all adds up.

Peppa congratulations Granny xxx

Mrs I,crumbs,your DGS is a young man who knows what he wants.My cousin was married at 17 and her husband 19,they have just celebrated their 42nd anniversary.Poor cousin.Pets are a big part of the family but I am sure the dog had a lovely life.

Spendless,onwards and upwards for your daughter now.College has been the making of DD2,she had a dreadful time at school and couldn't wait to leave.There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Caz I am so sorry to hear your news.xxx

LMG and PK time flies so fast.I wish I turn back the clock and enjoy those childhood years and milestones again.They will be off to university before you know it.xx

Thankyou joyfully festive,I will have a look for them this weekend.I was in B&Q yesterday,just for a change. They have a sale on of decorative household bits like candle holders etc.

I am off out tonight,the first time this year to visit my lovely friend. She is a complimentary therapist at a hospice. The staff have been offered a day out in August by a local company and she has asked me to be her plus one.What a lovely friend.

Better get a wriggle on Vx
    • PeonySugar
    • By PeonySugar 18th Jul 19, 5:56 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    PeonySugar
    Guys, just got waaay too excited, Hobbycraft have sent an email saying they have released Some Christmas things online 😃
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 18th Jul 19, 10:06 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Congratulations on your leap from lurkdom JOYFULLYFESTIVE, thereís no going back now

PRINCESSKITTY thereís nothing gets me in the mood for Christmas like the Gavin and Stacy Christmas special although why youíd want your chicken to taste like salmon escapes me DD1 and I spend quite a lot of time in the run up to the big day conversing in quotes from the G&S special.

Think Iíll just pop over to the Hobbycraft website and see what festive things are there, thanks for the heads up PEONYSUGAR.

Thank you for the good wishes, newest DGS is so gorgeous itís unreal. Heís coming to see us at the weekend (not on his own obviously) and I canít wait.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 18th Jul 19, 10:29 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 9,420 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Hi vulpix and nope I only changed my name here the once.
    It will be a very small present giving this year but will no doubt be stuck for ideas.
    Congratulations peppa on dgs. I think it is a lovely age gap.
    Love and thoughts to all having a rough time at the moment xx
    • Redredrobin
    • By Redredrobin 19th Jul 19, 10:33 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Redredrobin
    Does anyone else have a family member who comes up with the most impossible gift request ? This years challenge is DD's request for an Andrex puppy in a pink hat and scarf from 2008 !!! got more chance of winning the lottery i don't play !

On the Christmas front I'm doing reasonably well , we are delivering my parents gifts this Monday and hubby and DD are well under way some are even wrapped .
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 19th Jul 19, 12:56 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 19,484 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Good news here, latest (and hopefully final) grandchild has arrived! DD2 was taken in to be induced on Tuesday morning as baby was big and she was carrying too much fluid. After various interventions she finally gave birth in the early hours of Friday morning and our gorgeous new DGS arrived weighing a hefty 9lb 10ozs. His big sister is very excited (there’s nine years between them) as is DD1 who can’t wait to meet him and is very envious that I’ve already had cuddles.
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    Congratulations Peppa on your DGS - does he have a name yet? He was a little pudding though - my son Ben was 9lb 7 so I feel your daughters pain!

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.
    Went into poundland today, they had Christmas fragrance airfreshener candles in: bloome indulgent vanilla for £1, airwick winter wonderland, mulled wine and winter berries for £2 each and a airwick advent calendar for £5.

Also tesco had a Yankee candle exclusive candle collection, half price at £20, great to split into several gifts.
    Originally posted by Joyfullyfestive
    Welcome JoyFullyFestive!!! Great idea about the candles. I like to make gift bags for the women I buy for and usually include a candle of sorts so will have to go in and have a look. Home Bargains do some nice ones too.

I am back.
    Have had a busy week.
    Sunday the 14th was my daughter Holly's 9th birthday so we had some plans and then unfortunately her daddy got poorly so we had a quiet day crafting, eating cake and just generally relaxing.
    The kids had two days in school and then Wednesday the 17th was my birthday (I am 35 years young now!) and we went away camping to West Wales for the night - me , husband, 2 kids and 3 dogs. The first day it rained on and off but we still hit the beach to see all the stone, explore some caves and see the birds. We did find a washed up jelly fish too and wore the dogs out. Then went back to the tent, enjoyed a BBQ and then went on a snack run. We were all exhausted and in bed by 9pm.
    I didn't sleep very well so was up at 5.30 in the campsites power showers which were lovely and I walked about a bit, saw the horses in their stables and explored the campsite. Then we went back to the beach again but the tide was in so we couldn't do too much.
    We think we will go back over there soon again and have a day out. There is a little harbour that we didn't really get to see which has some nice walks along it and you can see heron, hummingbirds and otters there so we will go back with our cameras one day to have a proper look and husband found a boat ride that takes you out of the west coast of wales and you are 90% guaranteed to see Whales, Seals, Puffins and more so I think we might sneak away and do that at some point too! Maybe for our anniversary.

How has everyone been?
    the school summer holidays have started here officially now - 6 weeks of the kids off school and in true welsh fashion - its raining......and its torrential rain. Joy!
    Husband Owen is off for two weeks though after Sunday so we will hopefully be getting out and about to have some day trips out and the kids can do things. My father is meant to be stopping in on his way home from my grandmothers too next week so I may see him for a few hours too.
    Now all the birthdays are officially over though in my immediate little family - it is time to focus on Xmas! I have made my list of people to buy for already. Now just to start buying!

But for today I promised my daughter a film day and the little Christmas sausage has chosen - RISE OF THE GUARDIANS! I love this film!
    Last edited by sammy_kaye18; 19-07-2019 at 1:02 PM.
    Finally sorting myself out.
    Debts - £2022.18 owed. 8 lenders.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 19th Jul 19, 2:52 PM
    • 20,555 Posts
    • 34,382 Thanks
    Spendless
    Does anyone else have a family member who comes up with the most impossible gift request ? This years challenge is DD's request for an Andrex puppy in a pink hat and scarf from 2008 !!! got more chance of winning the lottery i don't play !
    Originally posted by Redredrobin
    Well that's a challenge. . How old is DD? Just wondering if she's little and it's something she's seen at someone else's house or if she's older and she's likes making hard to find requests.

A quick google, doesn't even find one in a pink hat and scarf. I found a 2008 one that was a fund raiser for teenage cancer trust, but it has blue accessories. This is currently on ebay.

owAAOSwCcZczv9 D">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANDREX-PUPPY-TOY-TEENAGE-CANCER-TRUST/392340492142?hash=item5b5950cf6e:gowAAOSwCcZczv9 D

ETA- There's several on ebay. Has daughter got the colour of the hat and scarf correct?
    Last edited by Spendless; 19-07-2019 at 2:54 PM.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 19th Jul 19, 3:32 PM
    • 20,555 Posts
    • 34,382 Thanks
    Spendless
    Ok - Think I've worked it out. In 2008 Andrex did a soft toy puppy for teenage cancer. They had a blue hat and scarf and these are on ebay.

3 years later, they did another for Clic Sargent and these had a pink hat and scarf and this is what your daughter would like. They are mentioned in this link.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/puppy-fun-to-raise-cash-for-charity-at-hampton-shops-1-2378535

My guess on this is the 2008 ones, that were given to children inc boys due to the blue colour, these children are now around Secondary school age or older and that's why you can find them on ebay pretty easily.

The 2011 had a more limited market due to the pink accessories (because people may be less likely to give to a boy) and perhaps less were made? In addition these children are younger and not ready to give up and sell their cuddly toy collection yet.
    • Joyfullyfestive
    • By Joyfullyfestive 19th Jul 19, 4:11 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Joyfullyfestive
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement I have always been very internet shy, but now I'm jumping in feet first, planning to post regularly. I have also started instagram this week, spent this morning taking some decorations out and trying out some photos, it's all new to me! Big learning curve but I need more Christmas in my life!
    Joyfullyfestive all year round. Instagram: @joyfullyfestive
    • Redredrobin
    • By Redredrobin 19th Jul 19, 4:44 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Redredrobin
    Its the clic pink one shes after ! There are plenty of the blue ones around but the pink's as rare as rocking horse s*i*

plan B is to buy one and knit a hat and scarf for it .
    • girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 19th Jul 19, 5:13 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 9,420 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement I have always been very internet shy, but now I'm jumping in feet first, planning to post regularly. I have also started instagram this week, spent this morning taking some decorations out and trying out some photos, it's all new to me! Big learning curve but I need more Christmas in my life!
    Originally posted by Joyfullyfestive

On post 4 of this thread is a list of some of our Instagram along with Pinterest if it is any help xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,626Posts Today

8,361Users online

Martin's Twitter