Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 6
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 18th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    • 6,597 Posts
    • 10,696 Thanks
    Malthusian
    No, I would like them to benefit from the property in whatever way they choose (aside from selling it) before its passed down to the next generation. Renting it out is fine if that is what they choose to do.
    So they can benefit from the property in whatever way they choose as long as it's the way you choose?

That's not how choice works, other than Hobson's choices.

It's my choice, I don't see why others are getting so exercised about it.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Because you asked an open forum for opinions on whether your choice was the right thing to do. If you just wanted someone to say "what a lovely idea, I'm sure you know best" then I suggest asking a family member or friend with little interest or experience in financial affairs for their opinion.

Your objective of having a Will that is easy to execute and your objective of preventing the living from doing what they wish with their property from beyond the grave are incompatible.

If they are happy to "take it on" then there is no need for stipulations in the Will or complicated trust arrangements. If what you want is for them to be forced to take it on even if they are no longer happy to do so then I have nothing to say.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 18th Jan 17, 2:48 PM
    • 5,396 Posts
    • 4,560 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Exactly. It's an idea from a very narrow portion of society, where primogeniture was regarded as right and proper. Houses were passed down the line of first-born males, with ad hoc solutions when there were no direct male heirs, and everyone else just lumped it. And this applied to a minute number of people, loosely the "upper classes". As home ownership developed before (for the middle classes) and after (for everyone else) the war, there were other social changes which meant that primogeniture wasn't a plausible solution. And without primogeniture, what do people want: progressively smaller and smaller shares of houses as children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren further sub-divide your former house? What?
    Originally posted by securityguy
    I would add that since the wholesale change in property laws in 1925 and 1926 the concept of a family home has just disappeared in many cases. The removal of estates entailed means that continuity is much more difficult to achieve though complex trusts offer a possible solution. However as SG has said it only ever really was applicable to large and very wealthy estates of the upper classes.
    • securityguy
    • By securityguy 18th Jan 17, 3:25 PM
    • 2,414 Posts
    • 3,682 Thanks
    securityguy
    "The removal of estates entailed means that continuity is much more difficult to achieve"

And the rise in higher education, marriage outside local communities and job mobility means that it's also much more difficult to see the point.

Country estates had moral, if not legal, obligations to staff and tenants, obligations which the majority of the landed gentry took seriously. If mad cousin Mad McMad sold the estate and spent the proceeds on drugs, it wasn't just the family that were affected. Large estates also provided housing for spinster aunts, the infirm, the elderly and so on. They housed art collections, large libraries, furniture: they were a cultural storehouse.

Little of that is true of your three-bed semi in Pinner.
    Last edited by securityguy; 18-01-2017 at 3:27 PM.
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 13th Feb 19, 3:42 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Thanks so much for all your feedback so far. Please keep adding to this thread to share your experiences and tips.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

769Posts Today

7,117Users online

Martin's Twitter