Regular Savings Accounts Article Discussion

Comments

• lazza1973
    lazza1973 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    1.You CANNOT open a new regular account with N& P if you have just had one and it has matured i.e only one of the product - ever it would seem

2.Barclays is a disaster of Customer Service when you say 'open in branch';

-managed to open 7 regular savings account in last 10 years with 5 different banksb soc generally not going into branch e.g. N&p, saffron, nationwide , etc

-their branches do not open until 10.00 in this day and age

-went to branch one - Kirkham - and was told needed an appointment with financial advisor and they only came Tuesday

-went to branch in Lytham and told didn't have a financial advisor in branch but St Annes did

-went to St Annes and was told could have an appointment in a few weeks as the staff were tied up on new Isa year

What a mess - I was only wanting a regular monthly account - good grief is i wanted anything important .
    I also had a significant cash ISA to transfer but would never go back - and advantage gained by the extra 0.25% per year on savings was spent on petrol and car park fees o these trips

So yes you could open in branch but give up your life!
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite

Yes, either that or phone in advance to book an appointment.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    1.You CANNOT open a new regular account with N& P if you have just had one and it has matured i.e only one of the product - ever it would seem.

I noticed that, which is a little disappointing, though I haven't opened one yet. I assume you tried to open a new one? Their Gold Classic account gives 5%, which is the second best I know of at the moment after FD.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well, only if you go in the first branch and find that you need an appointment, but then go to two more, despite knowing you won't be seen.
  • lazza1973
    lazza1973 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was n't told need an appointment in advance when referred on - yes an appointment to open a regular saver account -good grief its usually one web form .The difference in the rates - say £12 annually after tax on max savings - just doesnt pay for the chase .
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Now that the interest rates are all dropping the Nationwide Regular Saver @ 4% is looking very attractive especially as you can pay in £1000 per month. £12000 in total.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • chamelion
    chamelion Posts: 473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Now that the interest rates are all dropping the Nationwide Regular Saver @ 4% is looking very attractive especially as you can pay in £1000 per month. £12000 in total.

4%?? I see 2% tops.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/savings/instant_access/regularsavings/introduction.htm
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    chamelion wrote: »

It was 4% but that rate got pulled for new money a few months ago. I've got it but as far as I'm aware £250 per month was the maximum contribution.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Nationwide Regular Saver @ 4% is looking very attractive especially as you can pay in £1000 per month. £12000 in total.

Nationwide Regular Saver is currently paying 2.5% if you pay in at least £500pm.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have never seen that Nationwide Regular Saver pay 4%. There could be a mix up with the Flexclusive Regular Saver but that was never 4% either (and is no longer open for new applications).

You can check for yourself: http://www.nationwide.co.uk/savings/all_accounts/all_accounts.htm
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback