urgent (child) passport renwal

Options
Hi

I need to renew my child's passport urgently (travelling in 5 days) however checking the passport website it says you can renew an adult red passport within a day or two but a child's passport will be sent within one week of appointment date?

Ill be phoning the passport office tomorrow but can someone confirm if its possible to get a child's renewed passport within a few days or not?

Thanks

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    looks like you can't get a same day / few days kid's passport - there are fair few stories online when there hasn't been enough time on child's passport and they have had trouble getting a very quick passport. There is mention that it is done for safeguarding reasons
  • Euphoria1z
    Euphoria1z Posts: 952 Forumite
    Options
    I understand if it was a first passport, but its a renewal, dont see why they cant do a 24 hour service like they do with an adult passport. its still actually valid for another 4 months but need 6 months to get a visa.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Euphoria1z wrote: »
    I understand if it was a first passport, but its a renewal, dont see why they cant do a 24 hour service like they do with an adult passport. its still actually valid for another 4 months but need 6 months to get a visa.
    It doesn't matter what you think they should or could do.
    They don't do it.

Maybe you'll have luck with the Passport Office but I wouldn't be holding my breath.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Try getting an appointment at an office that will do it by next day. We are in Beds but travelled to Peterborough (managed to get an appointment ) and paid for next day delivery. Like you, we had realised with only days to spare. We got the passport the day before we were due to go. It's worth a try.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Try getting an appointment at an office that will do it by next day. We are in Beds but travelled to Peterborough (managed to get an appointment ) and paid for next day delivery. Like you, we had realised with only days to spare. We got the passport the day before we were due to go. It's worth a try.

For a child?
  • ponytail1
    Options
    we recently done ours and it took 3 weeks as they need to write to the person signing the photos who had to sign a verification letter and send it back. The same person signed another persons child passport and had to do the same process.

These were also just simple renewal's.
  • Sib2018
    Sib2018 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Did you manage to sort this, as we are in exactly the same position passport has ran out holiday is on Thursday.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Euphoria1z wrote: »
    Hi

I need to renew my child's passport urgently (travelling in 5 days) however checking the passport website it says you can renew an adult red passport within a day or two but a child's passport will be sent within one week of appointment date?

Ill be phoning the passport office tomorrow but can someone confirm if its possible to get a child's renewed passport within a few days or not?

Thanks
    rosie383 wrote: »
    koalakoala wrote: »
    For a child?

Updates would be good
  • f4phixeruk
    Options
    Is this not a safeguard to stop a parent from taking a child out of the country, without the other parents permission ??
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sib2018 wrote: »
    Did you manage to sort this, as we are in exactly the same position passport has ran out holiday is on Thursday.

After the initial 2 posts the OP never came back to the thread so probably won't see your message.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure