Help Needed! Bank Sent Threatening Letter

I have read Martin's PPI page and used the template letter to contact my bank to request clarification whether PPI was applied to my credit card.

My bank responded stating that, should they not be able to provide me with the required documents (original credit agreement) under the s78 request, this might result in my card credit limit being reduced and any renewal cards due will not be issued, and the account would be subsequently closed once expired.

Can they do this? (I know they can; they can do whatever they want; however, are they entitled to do that?) What can I do to counter?

I would appreciate your thoughts and thank you in advance.

Comments

• The bank thinks you!!!8217;re asking for a copy of the agreement to get out of having to make any more payments. Might be best to give them a call to clarify. At the same time, you could ask if you had PPI.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 April 2018 at 10:33AM
    Why did you need to ask if you had PPI on your (still active) credit card?

If you paid any ppi charges they would be clearly itemised on the monthly statement(s).

Did you specifically ask for the original credit agreement?
    Sounds like you may have set warning bells ringing.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Help Needed! Bank Sent Threatening Letter

It is not a threatening letter. It is a letter explaining the consequences of your actions.
    Can they do this? (I know they can; they can do whatever they want; however, are they entitled to do that?) What can I do to counter?

The issue is that you are the one that is acting in a more "threatening way". The bank is protecting itself. S78 requests are typically made by people who are looking to find ways to get out of paying their debts. It is not required for PPI complaints.
    I have read Martin's PPI page and used the template letter to contact my bank to request clarification whether PPI was applied to my credit card.

You get a statement month. If you had PPI, it would appear on the statement. You dont need to see the original agreement. I don't know if Martins guide actually tells you to get the agreement on a credit card or not (it shouldnt do as its only loans where it may be of use) but this is a step you do not need to take.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why did you need to ask if you had PPI on your (still active) credit card?

If you paid any ppi charges they would be clearly itemised on the monthly statement(s).

Did you specifically ask for the original credit agreement?
    Sounds like you may have set warning bells ringing.

It's possible they had PPI and cancelled it at some point (which would of course trigger time bars).

I'm not sure where on the MSE site/guide it says to request the original contract though, that sounds more like one of the money saving "tips" involving trying to get out of paying what you owe that some elements of this site support
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The MSE guide suggests those who are not sure whether they had PPI could request a copy of the Agreement. At £1, this is cheaper than a full Subject Access Request (SAR) so obviously in the spirit of money saving. Unfortunately, requesting the Agreement when the Bank can't provide it leads to the situation described in the OP.

The MSE guide should instead suggest potential complainants simply ask their lender if they had PPI. The issue is well known now and Banks do not withhold such information.
  • petesmile
    petesmile Posts: 16 Forumite
    Basically, I used the following template from this website: "I am writing to request a copy of the credit agreement for the above account under sections 77!!!8722;79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I enclose payment for £1. I would also like to request a copy of the terms and conditions that were applicable to the above account at the time I took out my agreement, as I no longer have a copy and would like to check some of the details."

I was under the impression that I needed to send the above to the bank - which I did - for them to confirm to me whether PPI was sold to me.

Let me know if I'm being a bit dim here...

Thanks.
  • petesmile
    Thanks for your response. I did get some insight from what you say - it's useful.

However, I disagree with you that I am the one who's threatening the bank. I simply requested info.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,354 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You are not being dim. Unfortunately, if the article says that then it's badly written. There is absolutely no requirement to ask that information on a credit card PPI complaint. Also, most credit card PPI was added post sale (typically over the phone when the card was activated or a later service event). So, agreements wouldnt help.

PPI, if you have it on a credit card that is still open would appear as a transaction on each monthly statement. you dont need agreements and even if you had them, they are usually of no use.
    However, I disagree with you that I am the one who's threatening the bank. I simply requested info.

On that basis, the bank simply responded by giving info and didn't threaten you.

I was just making the point that you said the bank threatening you. Yet it was you that initiated the process that is typically used by people trying to get out of paying their debts (usually without success). It is not the method used by people making a PPI complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • petesmile
    Thanks. That's very useful info.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Did you even have PPI, I wonder?

If you'd simply asked this at the outset all this palaver could have been avoided.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure