retired and due to constraints need some ideas for stimulating work from home

Options
As the title I am 55 and retired from property with in private and commercial letting sector.

The stress and uncertainty has made my decision but now find myself bored to tears

I've tried to find something that I can do home based and all I can come up with is surveys etc ...I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas or websites that they have found useful for some kind of home based work that is interesting.

I'm not looking for high financial awards but really need something productive.

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have posted before that you make candles. I would have thought trying to make a bit of money through that would be more interesting than surveys which are absolutely mind numbing so hardly 'stimulating work'

I know you said you can't sell the current ones you make, but could you not adapt them to make them saleable? Wax melts seem to be the 'in thing' (at least people on Fb talk about them)
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You have posted before that you make candles. I would have thought trying to make a bit of money through that would be more interesting than surveys which are absolutely mind numbing so hardly 'stimulating work'

I know you said you can't sell the current ones you make, but could you not adapt them to make them saleable? Wax melts seem to be the 'in thing' (at least people on Fb talk about them)

The problem with candles is that there are so many restrictions and very open to contravening laws. You have to list exact measurements for any colour or scent and get it wrong and you are right up the creek

I see so many people doing it and know that they are breaking the law.. if anyone has an allergy or a fire caused by one if they don't adhere to current safety guidelines then you are in deep trouble . If you go overboard with the scent it then can become volatile so it's a bit of a science

The legislation is too restrictive and although I do make quite.a few it's mostly for my own use and my daughters .. she makes them as well but again for hers and my self only

It's a shame as it is a great hobby and making candles to look like food items is really fun and so many people like them but again we aren't allowed to sell without a licence in case someone does actually mistake them for the really thing !!

I was looking more at something PC based ...
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Can you drive?

I know someone that took up part time patient transport with the ambulance service

They got compensated enough to run their car requirements.

Got out and met interesting people.
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    unfortunately being remote my car is full of mud and straw !!! oh and it smells of chickens... or it would be something to consider thank you
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How about some other sort of volunteering?

I am at my local CAB and love it,. Very stimulating as people present with all different types of problems and it is rewarding as you are genuinely helping.
    Plus you get to meet lovely folk - both those who work/volunteer there and the clients.

We get travel expenses.

I'd echo the suggestion of getting out. I retired at the same age as you and I made sure that I joined a few organisations. With me it was CAB, the gym and the chess club. Eleven years later still at the first two and have made firm friends from both. I live on my own and I know if I get stuck in for any length of time it isn't good for me. A day with a bottle of wine is a different matter, though!
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Have you thought about matched betting? Not as lucrative as it used to be, but still makes money and is intellectually stimulating. See the board on here.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How about project management? Don't know why I thought of that - maybe because I think it would be a very rewarding thing to do. Taking on one project at a time, very internet based now with sourcing materials, pricing and scheduling, co-ordinating tasks with suppliers, architects and builders etc., trips to site maybe a couple of times a week.

If you want to alleviate boredom rather than a new career, then perhaps fund-raising for a local/favourite charity, volunteer at a local hospital. Take an Open University course.

Locally we have a scheme whereby you can trade skills - maybe offer to teach somebody English in exchange for child-sitting if you want to go out. Offer to teach somebody how to cook in exchange for doing the ironing or painting a ceiling. Check out the notice boards at local colleges.

A search of the leaflets in the local library would be a good place to start to find areas of interest that might appeal to you.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you thought about matched betting? Not as lucrative as it used to be, but still makes money and is intellectually stimulating. See the board on here.

+1 for matched betting. I've showed ~14 people now, about half to took to it (compared to surveys and such, the returns are in a different league). At my peak, I was making about £1,000 a month doing it (about 1-2 hours a day). Even though it is simple to do (people often think it's harder than it is) my fore-warnings are;

1) You will need a sum of money to start with (I typically recommend £200).
    2) You will need reasonable numeracy skills.
    3) You must have no gambling tendancies and strong willpower!!! Matched Betting is risk free HOWEVER I know of a few people that fell into bad habits.
    4) You must give it a chance. Some people I've shown became disheartened right at the start and gave up. Those that are able to stick at it for a month usually continue doing it.
    5) Set reasonable expectations. People I've shown were aware of the money I was making and expected to be making mountains of money for little effort. I got to that peak from learning the intricacies thoroughly and having a constant bankroll of £5,000+. Aim to make a couple of hundred pounds a month at the start.

Just to mention, the reason I'm not matched betting currently is because I've applied for a mortgage and was aware they'd probably have a heart attack if they saw my statements.

Lastly, you may have a knee jerk reaction, as many do, to matched betting. Done properly, it is entirely risk free. I often get people insinuate I've not come to terms with my 'gambling problem' and that 'everyone loses' - hence I don't talk about it much in person anymore!
    Know what you don't
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Exodi wrote: »
    +1 for matched betting. I've showed ~14 people now, about half to took to it (compared to surveys and such, the returns are in a different league). At my peak, I was making about £1,000 a month doing it (about 1-2 hours a day). Even though it is simple to do (people often think it's harder than it is)

Exodi,

Can I PM you about this. As I have tried so many times to get my head around this. It could be because I don't have a mathematical mind.

You are more than welcome to tell me to bog off and I wont be offended.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Actually you are welcome to PM me as well if you like......(as is anyone, preferably not all at once!)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure