Am I entitled to any benefits? (Average income earner)

Comments

• Autumn86
    Autumn86 Posts: 275 Forumite
    OP lives in hope that a drop in hours and house prices would suit their life. Unfortunately yes it would, but after this, I doubt they’d get a mortgaging their hoped for crash?

Why would having a spotlessly clean credit-record with zero history of ever needing to rely on loans/or getting into debt have an adverse impact on me getting a mortgage? :huh:

I had the opportunity in 2008 to withdraw around £10,500 onto cash from various credit cards, and so I chose to take that opportunity and then use the statute-barring method to get the debt written off.

But so whilst yes for 6 years (until 2014) my credit-record showed those debts,
    Since 2014 (so for over 5+ years now) my credit record has been spotless, with no trace or record of any loans or debts whatsoever. :beer:
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Nope. Your savings are the business of the government, HMRC among others, and as soon as you try to claim from the taxpayer then all of your income and savings are the business of the government.
  • Autumn86
    Autumn86 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Loanranger wrote: »
    Nope. Your savings are the business of the government, HMRC among others, and as soon as you try to claim from the taxpayer then all of your income and savings are the business of the government.

Yes, but I am legally perfectly entitled to spend my money however I want, as 'recklessly' as I want, and to not keep a single record or trace of that spending whilst I am not claiming any benefits... :cool2:

If I choose to withdraw all my money into cash, and then to gamble all of it away (without keeping any record or trace even), well I'm perfectly entitled to do that.

And then if in the future I choose to put in a claim for benefits, well all I need to do is present the local council with a copy of my most recent bank statement showing that I have only a few £100 in there, and that's that. :beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Autumn86 wrote: »
    Yes, but I am legally perfectly entitled to spend my money however I want, as 'recklessly' as I want, and to not keep a single record or trace of that spending whilst I am not claiming any benefits... :cool2:

If I choose to withdraw all my money into cash, and then to gamble all of it away (without keeping any record or trace even), well I'm perfectly entitled to do that.

And then if in the future I choose to put in a claim for benefits, well all I need to do is present the local council with a copy of my most recent bank statement showing that I have only a few £100 in there, and that's that. :beer:

No actually that wouldn't be that. Once your bank statements aka more than one, are seen an the recent disappearance of a substantial amount of money is seen you are expected to prove it's not deprivation of assets. Aka receipts for essential goods or you get nothing on the basis you spent your money in order to maximise benefits.
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You seem to have a very skewed version of how this works.... I don’t mean that to sound harsh but actually don’t think you fully understand the way you are portraying yourself.

UC will make you jump through hoops for your money, you have no genuine reason to drop your hours at work and would very much be sanctioned for doing so. If they have any reason to suspect you have deliberately deprived yourself of income and assets you will be sanctioned....

UC for us is only to help pay for childcare costs, we don’t get any other help and are under what you earn a month alone. The benefits system very much has its faults but it is designed to help those most financially vulnerable for health reasons, low incomes etc and you do not appear to fit in either of the categories
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Try and play the system if you wish, blow all your savings, try and claim benefits and see where that gets you.

Personally, I think this thread is a wind up...well I hope so anyway.

As an oldie, it reminds me of the lyrics to Wham Rap, ... basically, live on the dole, have fun, jobs are for fools!!!

"Hey everybody take a look at me,
    I've got street credibility,
    I may not have a job,
    But I have a good time,
    With the boys that I meet "down on the line"
    I said, I, don't, need, you
    So you don't approve,
    Well who asked you to?
    Hey, jerk, you, work
    This boy's got better things to do
    Hell,
    I ain't never gonna work, get down in the dirt,
    I choose, to cruise.
    Gonna live my life, sharp as a knife,
    I've found my groove and I just can't lose.
    A.1. style from head to toe,
    Cool cat flash gonna let you know,
    I'm a soul boy, I'm a dole boy,
    Take pleasure in leisure, I believe in joy!"
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Personally, I think this thread is a wind up...
    Yes, troll comes to my mind too. The OP that is.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Yes, troll comes to my mind too. The OP that is.

Or a very deluded individual.

Take your pick.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

No you are not.
    If you (for example) gave your home away to your son/daughter knowing you needed to claim benefits then it would be taken back.
    It called deliberate deprivation of assets.
    Of course if you’ve spent it on horses then it can’t be rolled back but your benefits could be stopped or you could be prosecuted.

There are ways of hiding cash under the mattress without it being noticed, but the typical scenario of giving a house to a son or daughter is easily traceable.

Regardless of the practicalities you are wrong.
    If you know you have a need for state benefits then you cannot deliberately deprive yourself of assets.

If you are wanting to play the system then you need to get a lot more savvy and acquaint yourself with the facts.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why would having a spotlessly clean credit-record with zero history of ever needing to rely on loans/or getting into debt have an adverse impact on me getting a mortgage? :huh:

I had the opportunity in 2008 to withdraw around £10,500 onto cash from various credit cards, and so I chose to take that opportunity and then use the statute-barring method to get the debt written off.

But so whilst yes for 6 years (until 2014) my credit-record showed those debts,
    Since 2014 (so for over 5+ years now) my credit record has been spotless, with no trace or record of any loans or debts whatsoever. :beer:

You're a nurse. You're suggesting something that runs close to the edge of benefit fraud. If you get found out, your job will likely end and the NMC may be involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure