PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hello and welcome to the GC looie and lynzpower - Helen will be along to add you to the front page list soon :j

some of you are doing really well with your nsd's - I'm having a lot of them just now but enforced by the weather and not necessarily from choice :D

looks like tonight will be interesting weather-wise for some of us; keep safe and warm everyone
    emot36.gif
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Spent £10 in B&MS N LIDL today on veg, fruit, shower gel, flu tabs etc, so am adding it to my total:D.Am still freeeeezing and really sick of this snow and ice:mad::mad:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Spent £11.72 today on milk, bread & toiletries. I'm doing really well on not buying stuff just cos it's on offer. I could easily last the month on just buying bread, milk & F&V. Planning on a few NSD's now as have plenty of HM soup for lunches & enough sausage casserole, bolognaise mix & storecupboard ingredients for dinners. I also feel loads healthier when I stick to the GC as I cook from fresh more often.

It's a no brainer!! :rotfl:

CP x
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • Went to Morrisons and Aldi today, as more snow predicted here. :eek: My daughter needed milk so I thought I might as well get some replacements for things we're short of. Could have done without some of them but I'm not brave enough to not buy them..... just in case we're snowed in for weeks!

Have got plenty now for at least 10 days so I won't need to go shopping again for a while. Went to Morrisons first and spent £27.26 (plus £3 for daughter's milk). They didn't have any of the frozen peas I like so we went to Aldi as well, where I got more milk (!!) and veg. Spent £12.15 in there, so I must have bought more than just milk and veg! Total spend today £39.41, so within my £50 limit. Actually, I didn't spend any of last week's grocery money as I used money left over from 2009 and only bought a few things, so I'm well within my budget.:j

I'm liking this challenge, a far cry from what I used to spend in the supermarkets!
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• Evening all,

Have updated sig from dh trip to Mr T for bits the other night, but need dog food which will come out of my grocery account so wil have to add that on when back on MSE.

Really need to get some washing powder, last bought some in summer from Netto, a huge industrial type one so it lasted a long time for about £8! Also need some other cleaning bits. Cant be bothered going out and dont really have the time, Mr A dont appear to be delivering in my area as all delivery slots crossed out for rest of the month?Wanted to top up my storecupboard as its taking a bashing lately.

Oh well, working tommorow and will be able to avoid shops as dont finish till 3.30pm, so thats good.

Am wishing this snow away but it wont leave!

Off to menu plan and have a bath now as i have my shifts for the next couple of weeks
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2010 at 10:18PM
    SilverCo wrote: »
    Hi all :hello:

Excuse my ignorance, but have been seeing that many of you order from Approved Food. Can you tell me what they're like as I'd never heard of them before?:confused:

Silver x

Ive ordered from them a couple of times and they are excellent! Even with the delivery charge which I think is reasonable you do save a fortune. However, do check the use by or sell by date on each product as a lot of it is either out of date or short-dated. Some does have good dates tho-just be careful to check the date of every item beofre you decide to order loads of it.
    Its very good also for offers of gluten free products which of course anyone can eat! These are normally very cheap-I do love their biscuits.
    They now have their own facebook group and also there are lots of videos of them with products on youtube so if you would like to find out more do take a look. They now offer a 2nd choice option so if a product you want is out of stock they can add something else which is acceptable. I will def order from them again-I just have to use up my supplies at the moment before ordering anything else.:money:

P.S. Perfectly safe to eat the out of date items as they best before dates generally and therefore are only a guide to when they are at their best.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ive ordered from them a couple of times and they are excellent! Even with the delivery charge which I think is reasonable you do save a fortune. However, do check the use by or sell by date on each product as a lot of it is either out of date or short-dated. Some does have good dates tho-just be careful to check the date of every item beofre you decide to order loads of it.

P.S. Perfectly safe to eat the out of date items as they best before dates generally and therefore are only a guide to when they are at their best.

Great advice, thank you xx

I NEARLY ordered from them a few times last year then couldn't find enough things I wanted to justify the delivery charge. However, I just went on their site to have a quick look and spotted a few good bargains, inc 12 500ml bottles of OJ for 99p, which is a lot cheaper than the value stuff I ususally get and may make it worth an order if I see anything else...
    Also, their site used to annoy me as you couldn't save your basket to come back too, but it looks like they've changed it...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Approved foods-Apply to go on their mailing list and they will keep you updated with offers.
    Just updated my sig-9 days spending totals £73 out of my weekly amount of £125 which covers all sorts of things-not just food but petrol etc etc etc for 5 adults..
    Somehow managed to walk to work on Friday bad knees or no bad knees! It was just so good to get out-Im feeling rather trapped at the moment. Half an hour walk to work so not too bad-nearly slipped near top of hill but I got my son to push me forward as I was slipping backwards-so he saved me from falling. Managed to wriggle out of working today but will have to make up for it on Monday as our deliveries have been rescheduled. Got bread milk and eggs on the way home but it will really only last until Tuesday I would think. Well Ive certainly got money over this week and Ive used up a few bits. Trying to use up any half empty packets from the freezer at present whick will save any food deteriorating. Have got out one of the chickens I bought before Christmas to use tomorrow-I just need to be brave enough to dig down further for some veg. Just hoping I can get to work Monday as Ive also cot doctora appointment.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Evening all!

Just updated my sig. Have stocked up on meat from the butcher and I have a good stock of milk, bread flour and most of the essentials. Freezer fairly full, so I'm hoping it will just be fresh vegetables and fruit that will be needed for the rest of the month:rolleyes:. Made a huge pot of winter vegetable soup in my new pressure cooker. I can't believe how quick it is! Going to try a joint of Brisket in it tomorrow, not sure how this will turn out as I'm more used to a slow cooker so it will be a bit of an experiment.

Keep warm everyone!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Evening, everyone. Just back from visiting friends and I thought I'd update my sig before bed. We popped to Tescadiddles while out visiting and picked up some veg, milk, and some desserts so I've spent another £11.76 today. Worth it, as I won't have to go shopping again until the main shop on Tuesday. Have a nice evening, everyone. :)

Kitchenbunny xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure