PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving my fence to the edge of my boundary?

Comments

• Alan2020
    Alan2020 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The reason it’s planted is to prevent using your fence as a graffiti board and vaulting over it. If you remove it and move fence, your garden will get bigger adding value. However it will cost to move fence, and what will you do if people graffiti rude, racist and sexist words on your fence. Who will buy your house at market value? What if teenagers sit against fence smoking pot in the evenings?? I cannot see how much value you will gain net.

Personally I will plant a dense hedge making breaking in, graffiti or sitting against it impossible. Thorny hedges, roses are ideal.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sinking posts for a fence right next to an asphalt/ tarmac footpath could very well damage the footpath. You would be charged for any repair: at council rates that could be pricey.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    It looks like this has been done for reasons of security, to prevent people climbing directly on the fence.

Make sure you read your legal transfer TP1 that you signed and your contract. There is probably a restrictive covenant preventing you from moving your fence.
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Another way of looking at it would be to decide to leave bushes/shrubs/etc on this part of your garden, but make them ones of your choice.

So, take out the existing bushes/shrubs and plant ones you have chosen and like the look of and/or can get some use from (eg fruit-growing ones that are unusual enough that hopefully no-one else will know they are edible and nick your fruit as they walk past).

That way you get some use from that part of your garden, but aren't putting your fence at risk.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    One word - Pyracantha

But in any case for sure I'd let the bushes grow and would not extend.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There also may be some sort of service running down there as well.
  • Mpayne87
    Mpayne87 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Yeah I totally get what all you are saying about keeping bushes there for security reasons, i really never thought of that. Now looking at it as we have fields at the back they put double the width of prickly bushes along the back of all the garden fences.
    if someone graffiti the fence I’d paint it but I get where your coming from.
    I’m going to take a look through all my documents. Thanks
    I wouldn’t be so bothered about it, if I didn’t need a log cabin with a shed side store in the garden, which is for the wife to do her work in, when we have the little bambino’s. ����

Thanks for all your advise.
  • Mpayne87
    Thanks for sorting the photos out ::beer:
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you want prickles with a bonus, go for gooseberry bushes. Distinctly unfriendly to visitors, but a couple of handfuls of the fruit chucked into almost any jam pretty much guarantees it'll set.
    Oh you may well get strangers picking & birds etc but since you know they're there, you get first dibs.
  • Mpayne87
    Thanks for sorting the photos out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills