Loft conversion - building control sign off

Having just converted the loft of my townhouse, I've been told by building control that since the loft floor is more than 7.5 meters (7.7) above ground level, they will only sign-off the conversion if I have a sprinkler system or alternative installed (in case of fire). All townhouses in the Mews are identical and others who have converted their lofts were not required by their chosen building control to install a sprinkler system or such. A sprinkler system would cost upwards of £3500 and even if it were free, I'd be against the idea. Looks like I have been unlucky to have chosen a strict building control company.
Could I try another building control firm hoping that they're more relaxed? Must I install a sprinkler system to get sign off? Anyone here been through something similar / have any advice to offer.

Many thanks.

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Building regulations change with the times. Automatic Fire Suppression Systems (AFSS) is one such area that has seen more attention since the Grenfell tragedy. So just because other houses in the neighbourhood don't have sprinkler systems, doesn't mean that you don't.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I don't believe that you are able to change Building Control after it's been registered.

FreeBear is right. Regs change and so one can and should expect to have to do a bit more than previous houses.

We have done three houses in the same street with mist suppression systems. They too were probably the only three in the street with the system at the time.

Can you raise the ground level :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    The Building Regulations have not changed on means of escape for loft conversions above two storeys, you have always needed a protected escape route.

So either you need a fire resistant enclosed staircase escape route to an external place of safety or you need to install "sprinklers" to cover any escape route that is not within a fire resistant enclosure.

As Doozer said you cannot swap Building Control inspector once it is registered.

It seems rather bizarre that you have got to completion without anyone flagging this up, it is very basic stuff. It begs the question what was shown on the plans and what was the builder thinking?
  • tobyj
    tobyj Posts: 15 Forumite
    Thanks for all the replies.
    All doors facing the stairs are fireproof doors and are self closing. If any fire were to break out in one of the rooms, it would be contained for a period of time and safe passage to exit the house would be possible. If a fire were to break out along the stairs, that's a different matter.

If I have to install a sprinkler system which sounds inevitable, I will probably make the first floor which is where the kitchen/living room are open plan by knocking down all walls on the floor.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    tobyj wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.
    All doors facing the stairs are fireproof doors and are self closing. If any fire were to break out in one of the rooms, it would be contained for a period of time and safe passage to exit the house would be possible. If a fire were to break out along the stairs, that's a different matter.

If I have to install a sprinkler system which sounds inevitable, I will probably make the first floor which is where the kitchen/living room are open plan by knocking down all walls on the floor.

If the Building Control Officer is asking for sprinklers then part of the escape route is probably unprotected. The staircase, landings, hallway etc. all need to be separated from the rest of the house with fire resisting doors and walls.

Is it open anywhere or maybe the walls are not fire resistant?
  • Hi teneighty

The guidance to the regs in regard to means of escape are set out at Approved document B and for your property, the relevant section is 2.7 This isn't new and the requirement is for an alternative escape (eg another separate staircase) or, sprinklers throughout.

Some Building Control Bodies will accept a compromise with a fully enclosed route and a misting type system at the ground floor - open plan is never allowed under the regs where the building has a floor over 7.5m over GL

Something to remember, 300 - 500 people, die in domestic fires in the uk every year and 40,000 (seriously) suffer injuries due to fire with a very high proportion being life-changing.

Your neighbour's situation may have preceded the regulations (unlikely) or they may not have it signed off - in the event of a death or injury in those properties it is them who will face the consequences.

If a non-compliant loft has been signed off by a negligent surveyor it doesn't stop the occupant suffering a catastrophe in a fire, physics is physics and life is precious.

If you are only focussed on cost, Misting systems are way, way cheaper than even the most basic funeral. Be Safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure