PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• Another few spends to report. Mr T at £15.01 for supplies over the weekend as we had relatives staying over and another £6.58 at Mr S today on some ham, milk, potatoes, cheese, biscuits and a mystery product (I can't remember what it was and I can't decipher the receipt!). Total on sig has been updated.
    :jBaby girl born 3rd October 2012:j
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    £3.45 in lidl on Friday on a cabbage and some blackforest ham - I thoroughly recommend that, btw. You only need a few slices of it to give a really strong, really delicious bacon flavour - amongst other things.

And £5.20 today on 3 x 1ltr crisp n dry and a bag of sweets for mini me in Tesco.

Dinner tonight was shredded crispy chicken (hence the oil, for frying) with fried rice.

2ypn9jq.jpg

Was quite chuffed as it was my first proper go at deep-frying.
  • thegirlintheattic
    thegirlintheattic Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2012 at 1:39AM
    I'm rubbish at this - went over budget by £100 last month although partly this was because of bulk deals and two birthdays (so baking stuff required). Hoping this month will be better, especially as we're away for part of it.

I always feel as if I'm not buying enough food and it's easy to blow the budget just buying a few bits of meat. OH, whilst realises that we should cut costs, is very fussy about brands so won't go down to the value brands, and also complains about scrimping e.g. I always take grapes and strawberries to work - no I won't just take a banana. At least this week he brought the cheaper juice and said if he liked the taste he'd buy that instead of the really expensive one :)
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • Fiasco55
    Fiasco55 Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am really pleased that the chicken, choziro and butter bean stew has went down well and included in the recipe index (my first one) :j

I also have an update on my Tesco shopping incident last month were I had been over charged for some bottled water and the store refused to refund dtd. It was a really long, ranty post as I was still so angry about it. Anyway, I got a letter from the today with a full apology, confirmation that the dtd is their refund policy and a £20 gift card.

I am so glad I did send off the letter and thank's for letting me know who to write to.

Also an update - NSD today but spend yesterday £6 in Poundland and £6.15 in Mr M. Got smoked sausage, eggs, bananas, cooked meat and cheese.

Tonight's dinner was the last of my stew with sweet potato. My lunch for the next two days are being provided by work so only need to sort out dinners. I have a friend coming over for dinner tomorrow night then to shampoo my carpets - some Valentine's night :rotfl: (yes I am single!). Thinking of making salmon with pesto.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • I've done a batch of Nigella's Breakfast Bars for DH for the mornings. I am hoping that he will like them as at the moment he grabs a packet or two of crisps for breakfast which ain't good for him.

Ooh, I made those for the first time, last week, too. They were lovely. Everyone has enjoyed them but DD2 (age 5) found them a little hard and so was taking ages eating her 'quick breakfast'! Need to think how to make them a bit 'goo-eeer'! :)
    2017 GC O-£93.46/£160; S-£136.26/£160; A-£130.55/£160; J-£47.12/£160;
    J-£106.63/£190; M-£70.29/£160; A-£197.88/£180; M-£219.35/£180; F-£294.14/£160; J-£168.67/£160
    2016 GC £2322.39/£2285; GC-2012-2015 - £9789.91/£7773!
    for 2 adults & 2 kids (13 & 11) for all food,toiletries,cleaners etc

• Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 February 2012 at 10:29AM
    To those who've made Nigella's breakfast bars, I would like to make these but we don't like shredded coconut, could you suggest a substitute? Maybe just a bit more oats, or a different dried fruit? Also did you actually use cranberries? I've found they can be both sour and pricey!

Another Q: bought 2 cartons of YS extra thick double cream yesterday cos I needed single cream for a pie filling and thought I could 'let down' the superthick stuff with milk. It did kind of work but was lumpy and hard to mix, and I thought if I whisked it too much it would end up as whipped cream. Any ideas for using the rest of it? Apart from with pud!

A glimmer of good news, have now got 'new' freezer up and running so now have space to store lots more whoopsied stuff when I can find it, and batch cook more.:j On the downside, just decided not to go away for our planned (and paid for) nights this week due to a blend of teen apathy, alleged exam work (which is not evident at the moment...) and grim weather.:( On balance not great but at least it gives me time to work on generating some income. It's all well and good trying to work to a budget but when your income doesn't even meet your bills, it can feel a bit pointless and certainly DH sees it that way :(
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    happy valentines day
    we are off to the cinema later...taking some sweets with us but will buy popcorn ...going out for tea with the kids so not that romantic but nice

im off to costco tomorrow and will buy something for our tea so my meal plan run out yesterday...will do another one tomorrow night to accomodate what i buy

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 February 2012 at 10:04AM
    Barbeduk wrote: »

I know I'm a 'reassurance' shopper. I used to live in the middle of nowhere so it made sense to have full cupboards but now I live within 5 mins walk of Horrorsons it's just silly. But it's so hard to break the habit! :o
    Same here. Just done an audit of the freezer. Half way through the week We still have at least 45 portions of meat and fish in there :eek: We shop every saturday. Why am i storing food for the SM? And i'm still thinking omg i haven't got any mince in there. still work to be done :rotfl:
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    off to c0stc0 soon run out of toilet roll , i honestly dont know what they do with it, they must eat it or something the rate it disappears :cool: i am also going to pick up some haloumi , its my favourite cheese and i dont know anywhere else that does it

this afternoon i am going to put my feet up and read the new book that DH bought me for valentines day :)
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Although i have blown this months food budget, i am going to try not to spend much more before March. I know i will have to get bread/milk/eggs etc, but i shoudnt really need anything to make a proper meal.

I am going to have a look through the first couple of posts on this thread and pick up as much advice as possible and also have a think about why i feel the need to spend.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport