'The new new MSE Masthead – your thoughts please' poll

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• 2sides2everystory
    2sides2everystory Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2012 at 2:32PM
    I think the little slogan sign with another behind it is a neat idea.

Can I make a plea, so big business doesn't forget where you came from, Martin? Just for those of us that know, can you swap what is visible of the slogan on the sign behind so we know it might have said 'Consumer Revenge' - that is when moneysaving is really tops even if you don't want to shout it anymore :money:

You could do it by repositioning the back sign to the rear left of the front one and simply showing enough to make out the bold initials

C
    R

except what can be seen of the R might mean they can equally well be taken as

C
    F

as in the bolded parts of your more recent slogan ;)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think the little slogan sign with another behind it is a neat idea.

Can I make a plea, so big business doesn't forget where you came from, Martin? Just for those of us that know, can you swap what is visible of the slogan on the sign behind so we know it might have said 'Consumer Revenge' - that is when moneysaving is really tops even if you don't want to shout it anymore :money:

You could do it by repositioning the back sign to the rear left of the front one and simply showing enough to make out the bold initials

C
    R

except what can be seen of the R might mean they can equally well be taken as

C
    F

as in the bolded parts of your more recent slogan ;)

Will consider it as a later tweak (for now we want to get it out :) )
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2012 at 2:44PM
    Martin, you said in your blog:

I’ve been reducing my head size gradually over the years and would love to get to the stage where it’s not there anymore

I'm not sure I like the idea of your masthead without a head. So I knocked one up in photoshop...

mastheadfinalblog-3.jpg

Yep, I definitely prefer it with the head there!
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • Will really miss the green masthead, especially on the weekly email. You can recognise it straight away - even at some distance! Hope it makes a comeback and we don't lose the green on the forums. If the masthead must change at least get rid of the cartoon placards.
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    That really reminds me of Money Supermarkets page headers. You are using different colours for each subject than they do.

I'm not saying its bad though.
  • stagey_2
    stagey_2 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Why has everything been centred - very odd - hate it - but maybe others think it's OK - ??
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    vg3rd1.jpg

can I ask what is that small border for the grey doing there - it might look better if it were clear without shadows

I thought the colored text is better than the colored boxes but then when I tried a makeover, it looks like it might become bland if the header is going to be soft gray. The actual thing we've to come to terms with is that dark tone of grey on top. It feels like we have two headers. I think I prefer the existing one. Or at least it should be made a little thinner, something like this (not that thin, I couldn't make it little more wide because I simply did it on top of yours instead of creating another one):

wv7ar9.jpg

and instead of the dim grey, may be it should be the skin color of the forum you'd choose so that it would look like it is part of the forum

the search box, please see if you could keep the corners straigh instead of curvy ones

the placcard idea is ok although it looks like a doodle
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    stagey wrote: »
    Why has everything been centred - very odd - hate it - but maybe others think it's OK - ??

According to this post:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=50343575&postcount=18
    The centering of the text in the forum is a temporary glitch unrelated to the new masthead and will be fixed soon. Thank Christ!
    Only happening for people using Internet Explorer.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I like Meher's revision of a thinner top masthead line (grey or not grey, don't mind). Looks less imposing.

Still not sure about the shirt and the chest-hair ...
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    nzseries1 wrote: »
    Martin, you said in your blog:

I’ve been reducing my head size gradually over the years and would love to get to the stage where it’s not there anymore

I'm not sure I like the idea of your masthead without a head. So I knocked one up in photoshop...

mastheadfinalblog-3.jpg

Yep, I definitely prefer it with the head there!

But at least this version does away with the chest hair. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport