MSE News: Apply now for winter fuel payments

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Most people aged over 60 can get help towards their winter energy costs ..."

Comments

• ed123_2
    ed123_2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options
    ......I've read/heard conflicting reports today re proposed changes in conditions for receipt of wfp...the Mirror reported the qualifying age will go up to 70 while LBC radio stated earnings limits will be introduced......anyone else heard of changes proposed???.......ed
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think its far to late for any changes this year,however i think that next year they will raise the age limit from 60 to 70,this being far cheaper than means testing
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the qualifing age for winter fuel has actually started to rise from this year due to the rise in woman's age

Changes to the qualifying age

The qualifying age for Winter Fuel Payment for both men and women is rising in line with the increase in women’s State Pension age.
    To have reached the qualifying age for a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2010/11 you will need to be born on or before 5 July 1950.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    anmarj wrote: »
    the qualifing age for winter fuel has actually started to rise from this year due to the rise in woman's age

The qualifying age for Winter Fuel Payment for both men and women is rising in line with the increase in women’s State Pension age.
    To have reached the qualifying age for a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2010/11 you will need to be born on or before 5 July 1950.

anyone born before 5/7/1950 will now be at least 60 so no change there
  • Fuf
    Fuf Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    anmarj wrote: »

I will be 60 on 5th December 2010. When (if ever) will I be able to claim WFA :(
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fuf wrote: »
    I will be 60 on 5th December 2010. When (if ever) will I be able to claim WFA :(

from november 2011, which would of happened under the old rules anyway, as you had to be 60 on or before the qualifing week in september.

the new rules mean that anyone born between july and september Q week this year, are not going to get a payment this year, in previous years they would of done
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    after seing this we chased a back dated payment and guess what we have received it thanks you lovely people at MSM...:j
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • Bakewell54
    Options
    THANK YOU!
    In November I read about claiming for back payments and thought I may as well have a go for my parents. Mum 87 has been in care since 2009. Dad 84 lives at home. The forms were filled in, as dad could not remember we filled in page 5 saying the allowance had NOT been rec'd. This week I phoned to chase the reply (10-11 weeks having passed) and they said it could take 12 weeks. The woman also said that if my parents rec'd State Pension then they would have been paid automatically, direct from Pension Authority. I phoned on Wednesday and by amazing coincidence dad rec'd a reply dated .....WEDNESDAY! Hmmm! This said that each of my parents was due £50 for 1999/2000, £10 for 1998/1999 and the same £10 for 1997/1998. £70 each! Without this claim and your heads-up they would NOT have got this. Wrong wrong wrong, why do they have to ask? This forum has helped dad to get back £1200 tax which he overpaid and now this. Thank you.
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Bakewell54 wrote: »
    This said that each of my parents was due £50 for 1999/2000, £10 for 1998/1999 and the same £10 for 1997/1998. £70 each!
    Erm why are their winter fuel payment so low? Something no right here!
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    DX2 wrote: »
    Erm why are their winter fuel payment so low? Something no right here!

Could it be the cold weather payment? People often confuse them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure