Incapacity Benefit & Income Support totals

Options
I've just got a letter from the DWP about my claim for Income Support and it pays much less than I was expecting! Does money from IB count toward the limit for IS? Yet they say the law says a person can live on £67.75.

If the IS is affected by IB then by 15 April I will get just 25p per week from IS.

Could anyone please clarify?

Thanks
Waddle you do eh?

Comments

• kabie
    kabie Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    I'm just answering to give you a quick reply (I'm sure others will be along who know more than me).
    Yes IB is counted as income for calculation of IS: I've been in the same situation myself. (if you were in a situation to claim DLA this wouldn't be counted as income).
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    Probably the best thing you could do is put a claim on for disability living allowance and forget claiming IS. You can get detils of it on the web site, but you are probably best phoning up and getting a form and applying. Out of all the goverments forms I found it the easiest to fill in.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cat72 wrote:
    Probably the best thing you could do is put a claim on for disability living allowance and forget claiming IS. You can get detils of it on the web site, but you are probably best phoning up and getting a form and applying. Out of all the goverments forms I found it the easiest to fill in.

Yes IB will be taken off the IS, but it is still worth claiming IS because of premiums, free prescriptions etc. that you might need which you can only get if on IS. It is worth it even if it is only 25p more.

I am assuming the figure of £67.75 to be Higher short term rate of Incapacity Benefit from April 2005. Is the extra which entitles you to IS because you receive the Enhanced Disability Premium in IS? (If so you would already be on DLA). You would only get this premium if you claim IS so again, it is worth it.

I disagree about DLA forms being easy to fill in as you need to be careful about how you describe your condition, and they take a long time to fill in.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport