Can you spot the European oddity? poll discussion

Poll between 12-19 Jan 2009:

How well do you know Europe?

The UK has been a member of the European Union (well, EEC) since 1973. It means people from the UK have rights to work in other EU countries and much greater freedoms of import and export.

Yet how well do you know which countries are EU? In the list below, one country isn’t a member of the EU, can you spot which?

Which of these countries ISN’T a member of the EU?

A. Estonia - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]6% (677 votes)[/FONT]
B. France - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]0% (22 votes)[/FONT]
C. Greece - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]4% (435 votes)[/FONT]
D. Italy - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1% (57 votes)[/FONT]
E. Latvia - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]5% (594 votes)[/FONT]
F. Lithuania - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]6% (688 votes)[/FONT]
G. Norway - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]48% (5479 votes)[/FONT]
H. Poland - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1% (165 votes)[/FONT]
I. Romania - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]8% (930 votes)[/FONT]
J. Slovak Republic - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]19% (2200 votes)[/FONT]
K. Spain - [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]1% (73 votes)[/FONT]

Voting has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi folks,

For the moment I've deleted the posts that give the answer away - as its makes it a little too easy to come from the poll and check.

The aim of the discussion is more the general concept and how the votes going.

Martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ooh! Ooh!! ME! I can finally answer a question here hyper_fast.gif

Norway
    :D
  • MikeH99
    MikeH99 Posts: 25 Forumite

How well do you know Europe? The UK has been a member of the European Union (well, EEC) since 1973. It means people from the UK have rights to work in other EU countries and much greater freedoms of import and export.

A somewhat one-sided sense what what EU membership means, wouldn't you say?

You could equally say "It means a lot of decisions that directly affect the amount of money in your pocket and your quality of life are made by people in Brussels over whom you have next to no democratic control".

Or ... "It means Britain has to pay £6bn (net) cash to the EU every year plus carry the costs of implementing endless regulations when we could enjoy the exact same trading benefits via a simple free trade agreement with the EU - like Mexico or many other countries have."

There are many better ways to achieve free movement, free trade and broad co-operation than the political centralisation that characterises the EU. Such structures of power with little accountability suit only the politicians.
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    I thought it was a trickery as I thought Czechoslavakia (sp) was the Czech Republic + Slovakia not "Slovak Republic".

I was in fact wrong...and upon checking with the trusty Wikipedia I'm quite suprised by the correct answer

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    MikeH99 wrote: »
    A somewhat one-sided sense what what EU membership means, wouldn't you say?

You could equally say "It means a lot of decisions that directly affect the amount of money in your pocket and your quality of life are made by people in Brussels over whom you have next to no democratic control".

You could same the same about national government. It means that life here in Surrey is dictated by people in Whitehall over whom I have next to no democratic control. When Labour got in a decade or so ago, they were voted in by a minority!!!
  • mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Like the current majority of voters on this poll I was pleased to see I got it right
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think it's Norway ?? I'm sure one of my AQA answers I gave recently said that..........I could be wrong, my geographical and political knowledge is appalling....
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mymatebob wrote: »
    Like the current majority of voters on this poll I was pleased to see I got it right

Actually the majority of people have got it wrong... less than fifty percent have picked the correct answer ;)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • IggyB
    IggyB Posts: 24 Forumite
    From the look of the responses I think some people may actually be answering a different question that would no doubt stimulate further debate if it were formally posted.

The question being (insert tongue in cheek) "which country(s) act as if the EU was formed predominantly to serve their own self interests rather than the benefit of all members?"

Poster now exits stage left due to previous engagement!
  • Rodski
    Rodski Posts: 13 Forumite
    IggyB wrote: »
    From the look of the responses I think some people may actually be answering a different question that would no doubt stimulate further debate if it were formally posted.

The question being (insert tongue in cheek) "which country(s) act as if the EU was formed predominantly to serve their own self interests rather than the benefit of all members?"

Poster now exits stage left due to previous engagement!

That's easier than the original question - France!
    Of course another question would be if we weren't paying for them how would all these East European countries become wealthier and where would all their inhabitants go if they couldn't come here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure