customs duty

please can someone clarify extra costs on ebay item from the use

item cost US $12.00
Approximately £9.52

postage US $14.25 (approx. £11.30) USPS First Class Mail International Parcel | See details

it seems the cost to me will be £20.82

how much extra will this cost in post office , customs etc

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,027
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    please can someone clarify extra costs on ebay item from the use

item cost US $12.00
    Approximately £9.52

postage US $14.25 (approx. £11.30) USPS First Class Mail International Parcel | See details

it seems the cost to me will be £20.82

how much extra will this cost in post office , customs etc

If caught the taxes and duty are likely to be less than £3 , the handling at £8 charged by RM is what will bump the costs up.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    thanks , yes I read about the £8 charge , but read somewhere they waived it if duty was less than £3 (or simular )?

what is the max allowed before duties?
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    thanks , yes I read about the £8 charge , but read somewhere they waived it if duty was less than £3 (or simular )?

what is the max allowed before duties?

You would need to stay below £15 to be sure of no charges, but even above that there's a chance it will just get through without charge.

I'm not aware that RM forgo their handling charge under a certain amount, where did you read that please?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • twhitehousescat
    Forumite
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/UK-Buying-USA-Import-VAT-Customs-Duty-Parcel-Force-Fees-/10000000013589137/g.html

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you’ll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less. Please note there is also an £8 Parcel Force Fee for collecting the Import VAT.

I did google before asking , but many other google answers differed to the above

that link is 2011 , hence asking
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,195
    Forumite
    You should not be charged if the declared value is under £15 (reduced from 18 quoted above). If it is liable, VAT is charged on the value plus the carriage charge. Duty only comes into play for higher value items. There is also a clearance fee of at least £8 to pay - that's RM's fee other carriers charge more.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,074
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less.
    That's talking about Duty, not VAT.

There are potentially three different charges to pay on an item being imported - (1) Import Duty, (2) VAT and (3) courier fees.
    Philip
  • twhitehousescat
    Forumite
    That's talking about Duty, not VAT.

There are potentially three different charges to pay on an item being imported - (1) Import Duty, (2) VAT and (3) courier fees.

and in the case of an item costing £20 inc carriage , there will be no import duty , or courier fees

so if the figure is £15: allowable , the item sent is £20 , so vat? os payable on £5 + a £8 handling charge by PO ,

vat would be , 20% of £5 = £1 ??

so I end up paying £9 ????
  • soolin
    Ambassador
    and in the case of an item costing £20 inc carriage , there will be no import duty , or courier fees

so if the figure is £15: allowable , the item sent is £20 , so vat? os payable on £5 + a £8 handling charge by PO ,

One of my recent (well in the past 8 months) items cost around £30 including postage. I paid £11 plus a few pence ,( 50p or thereabouts) £8 being the RM fee and the £3 odd being the charges levied by HMRC.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,195
    Forumite
    edited 18 June 2019 at 4:30PM

So is the item £20 with free postage or the total is 20?

If the value is declared at under 15 and the rest is postage there should be no charges.

If it is over 15, then you would pay VAT on the total (20% of £20 = £4) plus the clearance fee £8 with RM.

If it is sent with 'free' postage it will depend on the figure the sender declares as the value in the customs declaration. There is a cost to posting so it would be sensible that the goods are valued at less than the total figure.
  • twhitehousescat
    Forumite
    martindow wrote: »
    So is the item £20 with free postage or the total is 20?

If the value is declared at under 15 and the rest is postage there should be no charges.

If it is over 15, then you would pay VAT on the total (20% of £20 = £4) plus the clearance fee £8 with RM.

If it is sent with 'free' postage it will depend on the figure the sender declares as the value in the customs declaration. There is a cost to posting so it would be sensible that the goods are valued at less than the total figure.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75936894&postcount=1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport