Money raising ideas for local football club.

Hi

I help run a local youth football club, age ranges from U7's - U16's.

We are looking for ideas for events that we can hold in our club house to help raise much needed funds for our club.

Does anybody have any ideas of what events we could organised to help raise the money.

Events can be held outside or in our club house, day times or evenings.

Thanks in advance.

:beer:

Comments

• borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Last year OH and I ran a quiz for the local athletics club. They provided chilli and we the questions. It was open to all, if I remember correctly the event raised about £500. We don't charge but ask for a small donation to a charity of our choice. They've asked us back to do another in the autumn so they must have been happy with work vs income ratio.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Should be a few ways you can raise some money.

Summer fun day comes to mind, get a few local makers to set up a stall (soap makers, local produce, plants and flowers, books etc) Get a food stall in and then things like raffles, pick a lolly, wet sponge, bouncy castles.

A general raffle, ask for prizes from friends and family, think outside the box too so things like one of the mothers runs a beauty salon ask if theyll give a treatment as a prize. Also speak to local businesses for prizes.

Sponsorships. Speak to local businesses about shirt sponsors, match day sponsors, club sponsors, corner flag sponsors, anything you can add a logo to really.

Lastly ive always found it a lot easier getting donations and giving myself if its clear what the money is going towards. As an example id try and avoid saying 'general running costs' but be more specific with say new nets, posts and balls. Or a new team bus etc.
  • cfre
    cfre Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for those ideas. :)
  • Brodiebobs
    Brodiebobs Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We do quite a few for our teams.

-tuck shop-this brings quite alot of income tea/coffee soft drinks and sweets.

-fun day, have a dad vs lads match, tombola, raffle, sponge the coach (very popular!) food/drinks.

-Tournaments are good if you have the space/patience to organise. Charge per team and then you'll also make on sales in the clubhouse.

-Sponsorship is a great one, we e-mailed load of local businesses asking for between £50-250 for advertising. £50 was a trophy up to £250 for a pitch side banner.

-we do a 'bonus ball' £1 a week for a number and half goes to winner half to club.

-our local supermarket allowed the kids to do a bag pack on a Saturday, and we had buckets for change, this was great people threw in pennies but after 4x shifts of kids we had over £700.

-boot/kit stall. Parents donate outgrown stuff, dual purposes as we have a scheme to fund kids who cant afford the subs and can also supply kit, and then at events we put a stall out to sell them.

-not so much sponsorship but we have feelers out for things we might need, and advertise a list in the club house, a friend of a parent donated a ride on mower, we've also had a tea urn, commercial bags of tea/sugar, and boxes of grass seed given.

Most important i think is to get parents on board, if you explain whats needed, why, cost and why its for their child's benefit they're more likely to support it where they can and also be on the look out for freebies or sponsorship. We reiterate the more we can raise as a club the more likely it is subs wont increase.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Some good ideas there. My girlfriend sponsors the shirts of my women's team even though she hates football!

It helps if you have your own premises but at our grassroots level many teams use council facilities so tend to be a bit restricted. We had a stand at our local village show with a football skills contest with small football related prizes, which is also good for publicity.

We did a long charity walk in fancy dress and shared the proceeds with a local charity: both sponsored and shaking the cans. Juniors, seniors, parents and coaching staff can all join in. Amazing what a smile can collect in small change alone and how it mounts up!
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you thought about a 'charity car wash' like organisations like the Scouts do ?
  • Schoolworker
    Schoolworker Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You could do a car boot sale with a table of tombola and another table of sweets. You get the profit from the 2 stasls as well as cars paid a fee to sell stuff.

Also I hear that a family Racenight is a good moneymaker
    Our church did a curry quiz night which was great and raised over £500 I believe. People paid a fee to enter and got a supper of curry or chilli. We took nibbles and bring your own bottle as held in a church hall. You could set up a bar but get a liquor licence for that night or just sell fizzy drinks and sweets on the night if folk want it.
  • engineer_amy
    engineer_amy Posts: 803 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    We have run a few charity quiz nights and rolled a few of the ideas already mentioned all into one night.

so over the course of the night

4 rounds of a quiz including music and pictures (prize not monetary but a cheap plastic trophy and the glory of being crowned the smartest team!)

Tombola - 5 tickets for £1, any tickets that end in a 0 or 5 win a prize (get parents to donate unwanted gifts/choccies/wine)
    Pitch and Toss - set up a bottle of vodka/whiskey in the centre of the floor, people take turns tossing a £1 coin and the closest coin will win the booze (this gets really competitive! and can raise a lot Keep one impartial bystander to remove any £1 coins that are not close and save them in a bucket, and also to resolve any disputes)

Raffle - if local businesses or restaurants can donate items/vouchers and sell raffle tickets

Auction - any really good donated items can raise quite a bit of money here.

Heads or tails game - silly but easy to do. Everyone who wants to play pays 50p. Host asks everyone to place their hands on either their head or their bum. Then tosses a coin. If its heads, anyone who has their hands on their heads stays standing, hands on bums sit down. Anyone left standing chooses heads or bums again and coin is tossed. Continues until last person standing. Prize can be a free drink at the bar etc

the last one we had in our local bowling club was in aid of cash for kids mission Christmas appeal (big in northern Ireland). we raised close to £5k as everyone was aware of what it was for and we had really good prizes donated to us like hotel stays
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport