PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Jelly & Pineapple Problem

I very foolishly added some pieces of fresh pineapple to my jelly and, of course, it hasn't set.

Is there anything I can do to make it set, or will I have to throw it away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Maybe heat it gently until it melts again and add a sheet of soaked gelatine?
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I did that too, tried extra gelatine, but no success sadly
    Carolbee
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Why would you have to throw it away? Just slurp it instead, or whiz it with a blender and make it into a drink. :D

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Pineapples have bromelain in them, which is an enzyme that breaks down proteins (it's sometimes called a 'flesh-eating' enzyme and it's what makes your tongue sting if you eat too much fresh pineapple). Gelatine is basically collagen, which is a protein, so that's why you can't put fresh pineapple in a gelatine-based jelly as the bromelain destroys the proteins so it'll never set. There's probably not a lot you can do now with the jelly beyond drinking it, bromelains are supposed to be anti-inflammatory so if you've got a cold it might help soothe your sinuses …
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You appear to have an enzyme problem ;)

I'd be inclined to add evaporated milk, cream and turn it into a mouse instead (expensive option). Much cheaper would be to freeze it in ice trays to make water more interesting.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Potato flour added to hot cooked fruit will thicken it and give a clear jelly-like consistency, but I've never tried it with pineapple. (If you have potato flour, heat up your pineapple not-jelly in a saucepan, mix about 3 tbsp or half a cup of potato flour with a couple of spoonfuls of cold water to make a smooth paste, then add into your cooked fruit and keep stirring as it thickens. Then let it cool.) The joy of potato flour is that it becomes clear after cooking, unlike arrowroot which makes things cloudy.
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Many thanks to everyone that replied.

In the end I sieved the fruit from the watery jelly and just ate the fruit with yogurt. I tried the watery juice, but it was far too sweet for me, so I have thrown it away.

This is something I will never do again:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport