Commuting to Holborn from Beaconsfield

Options
Hi guys
wondering if you could advise on the best option for commuting on a daily basis from/to Beaconfield to Holborn. I'm looking for the best value for the shorter trip... had too many years of commuting to/from the city and I know how painful it gets special with the tube in peak hours.. so from what I see I've 2 options:

1) park my car Beaconsfield train station (either through justpark or just on the train station park) -> train to west ruislip/south ruislip -> direct tube to Holborn.

2) drive to west ruislip (or south ruislip) and park at the train station park (or justpark) -> direct tube to Holborn

From a cost perspective I came up with some draft figures for both scenarios (PCM):

1) park 100, petrol 100, tube+train 340

2) park 150, petrol 200, tube 220

Any thoughts, recommendations?

Many thanks

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How far is the station from your home and how much do you carry?

Spending £200 a month on parking and petrol plus wear and tear etc you might as well look at bus or even a bike
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's a heck of an expense just to avoid the tube from Marylebone to Holborn.
  • nrmm
    nrmm Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    How far is the station from your home and how much do you carry?

Spending £200 a month on parking and petrol plus wear and tear etc you might as well look at bus or even a bike

well depends on the scenario:

1) home to station is 2 miles

2) home to west ruislip is 14 miles

Biking is a no-no to me...
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried driving from Beaconsfield to Ruislip at your likely commuting times? It could be very busy and take ages which would make the decision for you.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »

You might think I’m joking but I’m being deadly serious when I say think about the ‘wear & tear’ on your mental health when using public transport.
  • nrmm
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Have you tried driving from Beaconsfield to Ruislip at your likely commuting times? It could be very busy and take ages which would make the decision for you.

Yeah... I only did outside peak times and it was OK so I imagine that during peak times it can be a little bit busy...
  • nrmm
    Options
    You might think I’m joking but I’m being deadly serious when I say think about the ‘wear & tear’ on your mental health when using public transport.

would you feel inclined to option 1 ?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

2 miles takes maybe 10 minutes on a bike even slow riding, lot better than driving the car 2 miles every day both for your health and the engine health / car wear and tear.

If OP is going to use train/tube anyway that's public transport
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't like the idea of the tube from Holborn to Marylebone in the evening peak, then having to squeeze onto a Central line train probably won't be much more fun.

Personally I'd do folding bike to Beaconsfield, train to Marylebone, folding bike to the office. Or walk. The bike bit that is :)
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would definitely avoid the central line if possible! Especially when summer comes around, it's hotter than a sauna in summer!

To reduce costs there's a bus from Euston Road (short walk from Holborn) to Marylebone, or when the weather is better a nice walk to Marylebone will reduce costs and get some exercise. I used to walk from Waterloo to Camden Town (an hours walk) which reduced my costs as it was not zone 1 and I travelled off peak, I also got more exercise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure