PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frugal in retirement

Comments

• janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I posted this on Lesson learned thread( very good thread btw!) and thought other people who are awaiting their State pension would like to see the link.

I will finally get my pension in July next year but there has been much inequality on the way 1950`s born women have been affected.

https://www.backto60.com/single-post/2018/11/30/Back-to-60-state-pension-group-wins-right-to-judicial-review

There in now going to be a judicial review on this matter so I shall watch with interest.

Also my friend told me about an organization called Utility Warehouse which covers all utilities and may be a useful tool.

Happy Christmas everyone!
  • janb5 wrote: »
    I posted this on Lesson learned thread( very good thread btw!) and thought other people who are awaiting their State pension would like to see the link.

I will finally get my pension in July next year but there has been much inequality on the way 1950`s born women have been affected.

https://www.backto60.com/single-post/2018/11/30/Back-to-60-state-pension-group-wins-right-to-judicial-review

There in now going to be a judicial review on this matter so I shall watch with interest.

!

Do please keep us posted re what happens on this - in case we don't see news of what transpires in the newspapers.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed personally. I did work out how much of my money got whipped at one point - but can't remember the figure now. I think it's probably around £15,000 of my money that is in the governments hands from this - and I could do with it myself.

Happy Christmas to everyone:beer:
  • I`m one of those women the government ripped off too, hope the review does something.
    Would love to join the thread, I`m retired but not on state pension yet.
    I find having the time to go looking for yellow sticker bargains helps my budget at lot. As most supermarkets put there stuff down in the evenings, its not something I want to do in January and Feb through brrrrr to cold.

Merry Christmas
    Save more - Travel more

`TAKE NOTHING BUT PHOTO`S - LEAVE NOTHING BUT FOOTPRINTS`
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Do please keep us posted re what happens on this - in case we don't see news of what transpires in the newspapers.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed personally. I did work out how much of my money got whipped at one point - but can't remember the figure now. I think it's probably around £15,000 of my money that is in the governments hands from this - and I could do with it myself.

Happy Christmas to everyone:beer:

Of course I will. I am keeping my fingers crossed that justice is done. There are many women who gave up their jobs to look after elderly relatives, ill children etc who came off badly financially.

You might find it useful to click on the link so you can be updated of any progress?
  • Quite agree - a lot of women have dropped their hours to part-time or given up their whole job in order to be carers to a relative (whether they be elderly relatives or grandchildren).

I can certainly understand why so many women were unaware of the State Pension implications of doing so as well - in view of the fact we weren't sent individual letters telling us about this (as we should have been).

I did know - because I'd read about it in the papers and worked out exactly how long the Government was planning to whip my pension before I even got it for - so was well aware years in advance. But it still hurts me - and I kept a full-time job till 60 and was well aware and, thankfully, avoided them coming back for another go by "raising the age again" on me.

It must have been a heck of a shock to those that didn't know and planned their lives differently - based on how they thought it was.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Good morning fellow frugallers
    Well yesterday was wonderful with youngest DS cooking his first official Christmas dinner. It was lovely. I’m so proud. I taught both my boys to cook when they were teenagers but this is the first Christmas dinner.
    We had a lovely lazy day. We spoke to all our important people at some stage and ate and drank far too much.
    We’ve far too much food leftover so I will talk DS2 through freezing portions of bubble and squeak and leftover turkey so he doesn’t waste anything. He’s buying a house this year so every penny will be important.
    I’ve joined the Grocery Challenge for 2019 to keep my food spends in check and won’t need any food shopping until the new year.
    I must confess that I did shop in the M and S sale yesterday because I got a voucher but it’s all stuff that will get loads of use.
    I hope everyone is feeling good and happy.
    Time to get on with my day.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Good morning cuddlymarm, we both took early retirement two years ago and also need to be as frugal as possible. We both had our first Christmas lunch at our ds who only moved into the house with wife and 8 month old son 3days ago. We had a brilliant day and so proud of him. Both of my girls & their families spent the day at their in laws. We only bought one present for each child/grandchild, we haven't done any xmas shopping as such. So going to town today for a walk and a bargain hunt. Merry xmas everyone.

Debt Free Aug 15 :)Mortgage Free Aug 16 :j
    Early retirement 1/10/ 2016.

• I would like to join as well. Planning to retire in a few years.
    Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb about.
  • I'd like to join in too, though I may not be a prolific poster.

I retired a couple of year ago, OH is off sick at the moment recovering from a stroke he had in October. We are still not sure if he will recover enough to return to work as he had a very physical job.
    We both have only our state pension and no private pensions. I lost my pension in an acrimonious divorce, OH has had a long period of unemployment after an industrial accident.

We live on our narrowboat and have recently sold our house as OH can no longer manage stairs.
    Living on a boat means we are very careful about what we buy as we have very little room.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • I'd like to join too, please, though again I may not post often. I'm 64 with 2 years to go to state pension entitlement. No private pension due to working in the poorly paid childcare sector for almost 30 years now - no pension option and I was stupide enough as to plough back what could have been a pension pot to keep the group running when times were tough. Fortunately OH has a good pension & the house is ours. I should be reasonably well provided for event of his death but I often find myself longing for a more frugal lifestyle. He has a long-running autoimmune condition which means quite a lot of meds & outpatients visits. A further complication is the care of my parents, both in their late eighties, with major decisions looming I fear. Sometimes I could just do with some moral support!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure