Paying for 25 year old child

Comments

• svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I am confused, how do those two statements sit together?

The difference being i would not of promised funding in the first place, but had I of done, I would see it through to completion (assuming affordable)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you look at outgoings there'd be nothing to stop parents remortgaging or taking on large loans so that their children would get higher finance. Outgoings are never taken into account, quite rightly, when claiming public money.

You're right. It's similar to the need for rules on deprivation of assets. Otherwise we'd have the elderly trying to make the government pay for care when they'd given their money away.

Personally I don't agree with government policy ( on care or student fees) but while it's the law it should apply to everyone.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Should have asked him to move to Scotland or Germany
    No idea about Germany, but I believe Scotland doesn't have tuition fees. The amount to live on (maintenance loans) is also worked out on the household income- someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Spendless
    I was at university in the 70s with someone in that situation - he and his sister had to work for 3 years before starting university so they would be classified as independent - it wasn't the end of the world, just annoying.
    Out of interest, how is being independent for 3 years defined? Is it working in a f-time job for 3 years and after you are 18? I've just been reading thru the OP's posts on here and this is her DDs 4th year at Uni, so wondering if she didn't meet the criteria or just missed it?
  • Spendless wrote: »
    No idea about Germany, but I believe Scotland doesn't have tuition fees. The amount to live on (maintenance loans) is also worked out on the household income- someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't only if a Scottish student studies in a Scottish university. I think welsh students get a subsidy regardless of where they study.

So potentially (I believe) you could have a student from Scotland, Wales & England studying at a Scottish university, on the same course but all paying different tuition fees.

Hardly a United Kingdom is it?
  • Spendless
    Isn't only if a Scottish student studies in a Scottish university. I think welsh students get a subsidy regardless of where they study.

So potentially (I believe) you could have a student from Scotland, Wales & England studying at a Scottish university, on the same course but all paying different tuition fees.

Hardly a United Kingdom is it?
    Yes, sorry I should have put if studying at a Scottish university.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Spendless wrote: »
    Out of interest, how is being independent for 3 years defined? Is it working in a f-time job for 3 years and after you are 18? I've just been reading thru the OP's posts on here and this is her DDs 4th year at Uni, so wondering if she didn't meet the criteria or just missed it?

It is defined as being financially independent for 3 tax years prior to the start of the course. I think it requires showing an income of about £14,000.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Spendless
    silvercar wrote: »
    It is defined as being financially independent for 3 tax years prior to the start of the course. I think it requires showing an income of about £14,000.
    I've just looked up nmw for 18-20 year olds and working on a 37.5 week that comes out at £11.5K, so not enough to meet that criteria.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 September 2018 at 8:05AM
    I was totally financially independent from 2 weeks before my 17th Birthday (I joined the Forces).

I clearly joined the wrong queue...

I cannot imagine having been financially dependent on my parents 8 years after that!!

Having said that my kids are currently 16 & 18 & I suppose it would depend on the course being done... If they were doing a course that required a longer than usual timescale (? law / medicine) then perhaps..... but if it was an airy fairy course without any concrete job prospects at the end then I'm afraid I would likely go down the tough love route.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you look at outgoings there'd be nothing to stop parents remortgaging or taking on large loans so that their children would get higher finance. Outgoings are never taken into account, quite rightly, when claiming public money.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

You believe that instead of paying towards their children's uni expenses people would rather pay a higher mortgage or for a loan they don't need? So they'd end up paying more than if they made a contribution? Really?

To make the system fair all that needs to be changes is for the maintenance loan to allow all students to pay rent and live a very modest existence with a top-up based on income for students from poorer families. That at least puts everyone nearer the same starting position.

Or even better regulate rents for halls to be affordable on a maintenance loan. At the moment we have the ridiculous situation where a student living in London receives a larger maintenance loan and is comfortably able to afford halls and food even if their parents are earning a decent wage while the same student studying in the rest of the country would not receive enough to even cover their rent.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure