Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Comments

• hi everyone,

I am so annoyed, i havent caught any mice for over a week had the trap out.
    Sitting here watch tv & dog keeps pricking his ears. i mute tv & can hear something scratching, go into the kitchen quite but dog going mad (jack russel) he's now sitting by the radiator pipe whinning because he knows there is something down there!

Now how do i find out how they are getting under my floors?

I live in a modern terrace, 7 yrs old. I have checked outside previously & filled holes with expanding foam, this is still intact & hasnt been touched.

Now if they are getting in somewhere around the gutters would they still be able to get under the floors?

I am so fed up with this now, every winter for the past 3 yrs. I have put all the food in glass jars so there is minimal for them to eat & i have never noticed anything getting eaten & rarely see droppings.

Anyone able to offer advice?

BB
    :money:
  • Mr_Yoda
    Mr_Yoda Posts: 147 Forumite
    hi everyone,

I am so annoyed, i havent caught any mice for over a week had the trap out.
    Sitting here watch tv & dog keeps pricking his ears. i mute tv & can hear something scratching, go into the kitchen quite but dog going mad (jack russel) he's now sitting by the radiator pipe whinning because he knows there is something down there!

Now how do i find out how they are getting under my floors?

I live in a modern terrace, 7 yrs old. I have checked outside previously & filled holes with expanding foam, this is still intact & hasnt been touched.

Now if they are getting in somewhere around the gutters would they still be able to get under the floors?

I am so fed up with this now, every winter for the past 3 yrs. I have put all the food in glass jars so there is minimal for them to eat & i have never noticed anything getting eaten & rarely see droppings.

Anyone able to offer advice?

BB

Have you checked around in the inside of your house? You need to have a look at floorboards and walls and look for any holes that they might be able to climb through. Our whole area has problems with mice and in the past I've killed a few in traps (snap-traps and the electric shock traps) but since I've filled in the holes in the floorboards I've not had any.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Hey all,

I was lying in my bed last night when the undeniable sound of a little moose (mouse for the non scots, as opposed to great big brown horned beastie) eating its way through my cables, beams or such like came filtering down.

Now we have had mice before, it seems to come with the area (i'm just glad they're not rats!) but this one appeared (if my ears aren't deceiving me) to be in the loft. Fine I understand they can make their way round the in side of walls and the like but we had cavity wall insulation installed about 3 months ago and my understanding of this was that the whole cavity was filled so there would be no feasible way the moose could get anywhere other than the ground floor since it's probably coming in from the garden through the foundations or something.

Could it be that the company providing the cavity wall insulation have skimped a bit or is this perfectly normal?

Why the mouse is interested in my christmas decs as opposed to the food in the kitchen I am intrigued by unless it's sole purpose was to freak me out.

Traps are set and one unlucky moose got caught last night....:T Sounds cruel but we reckon they are causing the dog to poop and pee in the kitchen overnight to protect her territory since she can't actually get to them.....:eek:
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They can go up the outside of the house and then into loft through very small gaps - if you can fit a biro through a hole a mouse can get in.
    Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
    (Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Moneybot wrote: »
    They can go up the outside of the house and then into loft through very small gaps - if you can fit a biro through a hole a mouse can get in.
    One of the most horrible sights I have seen is a mouse that had started to go through such a hole in an air vent plate. It had put its front legs through, kicked away with its back legs and was caught - nothing left to grab on to to pull itself through or back. When Mrs Shadow found it, it must have been there for about a month at least.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Tucker
    Tucker Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I had cavity insulation blown in and I'd be surprised if it's filled all of your cavity evenly.

I extended last year and knocked a wall out. Before hand I removed the patio doors and could see into the cavity. The insulation was patchy to say the least.

It gathers up on bits of motar and wall ties which stops it finding it's way evenly through the wall.

I got them back out for a second go on the rest of the house, free of charge. It still won't be perfect but they blew in another bulk bag, so there was clearly plenty of room!!

Besides, mice could probably channel through it all and created little runs within in. It probably also makes great nesting material!
  • emcwill
    emcwill Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have mice but it isn't the dealing with the live ones I'm posting about since one of our cats does a vague job of keeping the down, our main problem right now is dead ones! We were away over Christmas for 9 days and have come home to the most hideous smell in the kitchen. Eventually we traced it to the back of the fridge-freezer and found long-dead mice stuck to the cooling element and in other inaccessible places in the fridge back. The OH attached it with an old toothbrush and anti-bac spray and removed the bodies as well as he could, but if anything this has made the smell worse. I'm not talking a bit unpleasant here, I'm talking completely vomit-inducing, can't bear to be in the kitchen! Is there anything we can spray aside from vile chemical-smelling air fresheners? We have no idea what to do since cleaning attempts seem to have resoundly failed! Thanks for any ideas!
    'In penguins and pearls we'll drink and we'll dance, 'til the end of our days, 'cause it ain't left to chance that we win...'
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Under my ground floor are multiple central heating pipes. Microbore pipes, with to/from feeding each radiator individually. As there are air vents, it's pretty cold/draughty down there. So, I insulate them.

Trouble is, field mice come in each winter and tear the insulation to bits! Whether they use the foam for nesting or to eat it I have no idea. So every two years or so I have to replace the insulation.

Anyone know of a proprietory pipe insulation that's designed to repel mice? Or something I can paint on the foam to do the same job? Otherwise next week's carpet/floorboard lifting operation will be yet another temporary fix!

Cheers!
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it were me in your shoes then id put bait down and be done, the little !!!!!!5 do exactly the same in my loft so thats what ive done. Nice tasty rodenticide and small pieces of chocolate, normally only hear em nibbling for a day or so then they goto sleep.....permanently :p
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Field mice are lovely, they only come inside for a short time when it is very cold, because as the name suggests, they like to live in fields.
    I wouldn't poison them at all. House mice on the other hand I would.
    Could you maybe offer an alternative for them use for bedding, then maybe they will leave your pipe insulation alone.
    Or possibly block the entrance they are using (once they have left) with wire wool and expanding foam.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback