Dead ipad

My ancient ipad finally gave up yesterday. I think its only the screen that doesn't work as I can still hear notifications.

Assuming it can't be resuscitated, how should I dispose of it in order to ensure no access to my information? Drill through it?

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Can you log into iCloud on a pc and remotely wipe it from there. Then take it into an Apple store for recycling and maybe a discount on a new one.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    On a different device, you can use the find my phone app to locate your iPad and then wipe it clean.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well done thinking about wiping it & hurrah apple makes that absolutely possible remotely.

Then you do actually still have a recyclable asset, so please go easy on the Black & Decker until you've checked out assorted websites - google of course but also sellmyipad?

Note that once wiped, it may recover some of its capabilities & this improves the resale value.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    but also sellmyipad?
    Hardly seems worth it for the £10-15 being offered there for a broken device:
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    My ancient ipad finally gave up yesterday.
  • https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/trade-in

They give a voucher to spend in store.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    The instructions for wiping an old iPad require it to be working. I was so bereft that despite having sworn I'd not spend 300 quid on a replacement, I did. Not very MSE. Can't believe how much better the screen is.

But ... After 48 hours of sulking the old iPad sprang back into life. So now I can wipe it and since it is working I can take it to an Apple shop for a voucher. No idea what I could spend a whole £25 on in terms of Apple prices but something will come to mind eventually.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    The instructions for wiping an old iPad require it to be working. I was so bereft that despite having sworn I'd not spend 300 quid on a replacement, I did. Not very MSE. Can't believe how much better the screen is.

But ... After 48 hours of sulking the old iPad sprang back into life. So now I can wipe it and since it is working I can take it to an Apple shop for a voucher. No idea what I could spend a whole £25 on in terms of Apple prices but something will come to mind eventually.

I suspect the GPU driver had crashed or something. When it sprung back to life had you plugged it in to charge it?
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    Stoke wrote: »
    I suspect the GPU driver had crashed or something. When it sprung back to life had you plugged it in to charge it?

Have you got some kind of ESP or is it the dark arts? I knew it was nearly fully charged but after trying various things, including several attempts at a reset, decided to put it on charge and left it. Then more in sorrow than hope tried another reset - and hey presto, it works.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Have you got some kind of ESP or is it the dark arts? I knew it was nearly fully charged but after trying various things, including several attempts at a reset, decided to put it on charge and left it. Then more in sorrow than hope tried another reset - and hey presto, it works.

Worked on lots of graphics drivers before. That and the fact the original iPad and iPad2 used an SGX graphics chipset which have always been prone to failing HW Recoveries when a lock up occurs. Once the driver is locked/unloaded you'd need to at least hard reset, but if that's not possible, then you'd need the battery to fully drain so you could hard reboot it that way. I worked on the SGX545 about 8 years ago (when it was vaguely relevant).
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,843 Forumite
    Not relevant to the OP now, but for anybody else reading....

Don't whatever you do drill a hole through one of these! You will go right through the lithium battery which is likely to cause a fire!

If you look on iFixit or similar for strip down instructions you will find (in addition to how hard they are to disassemble) that the battery covers most of the bottom of the case so you hare almost bound to hit it!

Drilling a hole through a discarded or faulty hard disk for security reasons is fine as they don't have batteries inside.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure