PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 January 2019 at 2:57PM
    Options
    I have plans to make myself dungarees this year using a pair I already own as the pattern
    My mind says this should be simple enough - they're not fitted style but still the very idea of even starting scared me to death.

Might invite more able,qualified and knowledgeable mum to help me out and ' make a day of it' LOL

I've been avoiding all shops which means no money or coupons spent LOL
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My first purchase of 2019 - an impulse buy! :o
    A pair of brushed cotton pyjama bottoms I spotted on a sale rail while in a supermarket - with colder weather/nights forecast over the next couple of weeks I couldn’t resist.
    A pair of pyjamas would have been 8 coupons but these are only the bottom half so I’m counting them as 1/2 a pair, so 4 coupons :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Lindyloublack
    Options
    Really not sure what I'm doing as not really competent with this type of tech... This challenge is a really good idea. I have seriously culled my wardrobe using the turned round hangers, and Konmari, and have even folded stuff so I can see what I have...and it's still loads. Charity shops are great places and I look there first except for the undies and shoes. My weakness is fabric as I do patchwork and quilting. Lucky I already have a stash to make my grand daughter's quilt or that would be me finished already.
    Loved reading all the posts, but I am too slow knitting, but thought the pics were gorgeous
  • BabyStepper
    Options
    I have a few things coming up that I need to look smart for. This challenge is helping me see how tatty my things get so quickly, as I usually buy cheap rubbish. The trousers I mentioned were further reduced in the sale so I snapped them up , 6 coupons. 25.5/66 spent now but these trousers are such good quality, thick and heavy, well made, beautiful and flattering. I am hopeful they will last a very long time. I also feel inspired to take better care of them.
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Oooh, lots of new people - hullo! Welcome!

And plenty of people off to a great start - 2018 was my first try at this and I made such a mess of it. I lost count completely, and ended up starting over again in the summer with half-a-year's coupons, and even so I still ran out, and then ended up (oh, the shame, the shame!) buying from spivs on the black market... I'm determined this year NOT to give my money to spivs again!

I was thinking of buying some fabric to make a new dark-neutral skirt, as I do need on, but then in looking for other things I found a box my partner had helpfully packed away, with some forgotten dark-green cotton. It's too thin for an all-purpose skirt, so I thought of the old practice of "underlining" where you back a fabric with another fabric to strengthen and insulate it (used to be done with silk frocks, for example), a bit different from just lining a garment. so then I thought about buying some fabric to do that, but checked my fabric boxes once more, just in case...

Hey presto - my serviceable and muted dark-green cotton skirt for everyday wear will have an inside of white cotton with big polka-dotty spots of yellow, red, green and blue! That should be jolly and cheerful on a windy day! :)

And... NO COUPONS!

50546862_10158141924039606_1276826509323010048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-1.fna&oh=2ab8a5c7fccc17ada40a260939044bde&oe=5CFB1F6A
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Please may I join you as I desperately need to curb my clothes spending. I have already bought trousers and shoes in the sales this year. My OH is buying the dress I ordered (if it fits) online, for my birthday so I am hoping that's coming off his coupons not mine. Can't think of anything else that been ordered and not sent back. Oh yes I can I have just remembered I bought a coat as well. Wonder if I can pinch more coupons from my OH.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    Please may I join you as I desperately need to curb my clothes spending. I have already bought trousers and shoes in the sales this year. My OH is buying the dress I ordered (if it fits) online, for my birthday so I am hoping that's coming off his coupons not mine. Can't think of anything else that been ordered and not sent back. Oh yes I can I have just remembered I bought a coat as well. Wonder if I can pinch more coupons from my OH.

Well... you can pinch all his coupons BUT he then can't have any new clothes or shoes this year, which might be a problem!

**PipneyJane** - would you okay this idea? Your thread, after all!

Since you weren't doing this from Jan 1st, I suppose you could draw a line and start on Feb 1st with 11/12 of the annual coupon count? I did that last year after getting hopelessly lost and muddled and having no idea at all where I was, just drew a line and started again with 6 months to go and 50% of the coupons.

I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to rely on doing it, and certainly I don't think anyone should do it repeatedly! - but you hadn't started when you spent those coupons, so you could go for starting on Feb 1st with sixty and a half coupons, and be firm with yourself from then on?
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Laura that is a fabulous colour combination! So effectively you just layer the two bits together and treat as one, rather than sewing up the lining as a separate garment?looks lovely. My sewing mojo is somewhere in the cupboard of UFOs in the spare room at the moment ... too many things going on and not enough time to concentrate.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Polly, yep, you sew double-layers, so the lining becomes a structural element, rather then only being a lining.
    I was all set to buy sensible black lining fabric, and then thought "ooh, what if..." and now I shall have a sensible, no-nonsense everyday green skirt - with a gloriously frivolous inside to it!

And you should see the list of sewing projects yet to start, cut but not sewn, half-sewn... Once I finish the pockets and hem on the green stealth-spot skirt, I have red culotte-type trousers to sew, cut out last summer, and a pale pink satin dressing-gown cut out in 2017 form fabric bought specifically for it in 2015!

• vintagegal
    Options
    Hello everyone

Welcome to all the new joiners! Wishing you lots of imagination and willpower this year!

I have spent MORE coupons on a pair of shoes and on a skirt. I do find January difficult, I think it's the anticlimax of Christmas, the dark mornings and evenings, the feeling that you should be doing something to improve yourself, and the pesky sales calling my name.

I need to stop seeing things. I don't go shopping really, except a couple of trips a year to Bicester. It is online that is my danger zone. I've been unsubscribing from emails every day, but I think I am going to have to unfollow everything I like on Instagram, including 'influencers' because they influence me :rotfl:

I think I might limit my phone usage as well, using an app that forces you off.

I really don't need anything, so I need to think about why I am still looking.
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport