Refused boarding on Virgin Atlantic as credit card was not present

2»

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What happens if your card has been stolen and the credit card issuers have given you a new number?

You should contact the airline.
  • Nettan
    Nettan Posts: 5 Forumite
    Booking made on their web site, yes.
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Definitely does happen - I’ve had this when booking flights for other people. Get a photocopy of both sides of the card when flying and present that. In every instance (in my experience) this has been enough. Get your office to fax the airline desk, or send a scan to your phone.

Checking in online before hand would have flagged the issue and probably made you call and find out.

If it was a flight for work (I assume) I would have just rebooked and claimed back (although we all have individual corp CCs).

Sorry - nasty experience, but it does happen.
    Legal team on standby
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,775
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jpsartre wrote: »
    You should contact the airline.
    I have been warned to have the same card with me (not virgin Atlantic) but have never yet been asked to show it at the airport. I wonder how it works if the card used to book then expires and is replaced by a new card before the flight.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,196
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Could you claim compensation for denied boarding under EU261 in these circumstances? After all the ticket has been paid for and ID is in place, a requirement to have a particular credit card in the small doesn't seem to justify refusing to honour the ticket.

In the OP's case it is clouded by being a business trip but it does seem to be based on unreasonable clauses in the terms and conditions that would not be considered enforceable for retail customers.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Nettan wrote: »
    The new flight cost me £399,32 + 27500 miles. These are airmiles I was saving up for a special trip. And now they’re gone.

Seriously out of pocket - really annoyed and willing to pursue this to the end of the earth to get some *&^^%$%$£ justice here!

I don't understand why you would have used personal airmiles or made yourself out of pocket for a business trip?.

I would have rang the office and spoken to the appropriate person explaining what had happened and said i need authorisation to book these flights for £1000 or i can't go on the trip.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Takmon wrote: »
    I don't understand why you would have used personal airmiles or made yourself out of pocket for a business trip?.

I would have rang the office and spoken to the appropriate person explaining what had happened and said i need authorisation to book these flights for £1000 or i can't go on the trip.

Many people are self-employed or partners in their businesses...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure