Unreadable paperwork

Options
Looking for any advice if anyone has had a similar experience.

I've had a negative decision from the FOS adjudicator on a PPI claim that dates from 2002. They have based their decision on the original application 'clearly' showing acceptance of the scheme. The problem I have is the paperwork on which they rely is literally an unreadable scan that has no discernible text on it no matter how you zoom in. Only the large handwritten name, address & signature can be made out.

Their logic is that it looks like others they have seen before and the signature looks to be in the same place so it must be legit!

Surely this can't be binding?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It surely can, unless you have evidence that your agreement was different to the other hundred of thousands that were printed.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely this can't be binding?

Why not.?
    Their logic is that it looks like others they have seen before and the signature looks to be in the same place so it must be legit!

That seems reasonable.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Seems completely reasonable... if lender had been unable to locate the original then they and FOS would’ve relied solely on a sample copy so same outcome.

You of course do not have to accept the decision and may take your case to court - I would not advise this though.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The rules on a SAR and indeed, copies of old data for these purposes, mean the paperwork does not have to be clear and comprehensible if there is no better copy available. They have provided a copy of their old form which you apparently signed to say you wanted PPI, hence the evidence is that you agreed to it. What evidence did you provide you did not want it that could counter that? If you did not want it, why did you sign or it or not cancel it immediately?

Remember the burden of proof is on you, you need to show this was not the right paperwork or that you didn't agree to it.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It was binding in 2002 when you signed it. If you couldn't read it then, why didn't you say something?
    Are you suggesting the bank have made up a new illegible copy and have forged your name and signature on it?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure