Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    always choose great places to eat. Always tip 10%

Is that what you do, or an instruction?
  • I always tip, but agree with OP, tend to round up to the nearest note not leave a specific amount
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Flamed wrote: »
    All this could be easily sorted by including a service charge for each item on the menu and if people feel the service was above and beyond, they can add an additional tip.

I know in some countries it is considered rude to tip.

Or restaurants could just charge what it costs to run the place and pay staff properly.

Why should anyone have to depend on tips?
  • When it comes to tipping, I know a lot of people say 'it's their job, I don't get paid extra' etc, however, having worked throughout the hospitality business I slightly understand the difference.

I don't tip every time I am out and I only do so depending on the service and I don't mean the service that they require... I mean what have they done extra to enhance my experience within their establishment?

When I worked at Pizza Hut I truly enjoyed it as I loved customers and interacting throughout my day and because of this I would help them out in ways that weren't my job, for example, helping their child make their salads or ice creams, helping them with personal queries and generally making their experience better by me being there!

I feel that people do need to understand the people they are serving and respond differently when serving them and if the waiter/ waitress is able to do this without you realising then they deserve a tip.

However, if the service wasn't good, our food was continuously wrong and we have been ignored or made to feel unwelcome, I wouldn't tip and usually end up arguing with my partner who feels bad for not tipping, but I believe going out is an experience and you shouldn't leave feeling it was a bad one.

I would only ever leave around £1.50/ spare change, but if I was in a large group we would all leave our spare change which would lead to a larger tip for the waiter waitress. (please note, this is my 'average' tipping which is for bills of around £20)
  • Chrism03
    Chrism03 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nearly always tip, normally ~10% more if excellent service, less if just OK. Not very often leave no tip (but then rarely get poor service)
  • dcfc67
    dcfc67 Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I always make a point of making a cash tip if the sevice is good.

Its all to easy to add it on to your card, downside is the Management then take a cut if not all the tip.
  • if waiter is really nice, i will pay 10%, but if no... i hate when they include tips in receipt!!
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    dcfc67 wrote: »
    I always make a point of making a cash tip if the sevice is good.

Its all to easy to add it on to your card, downside is the Management then take a cut if not all the tip.

Upside is the tip is paid through the payroll, and the appropriate income tax is paid.
  • SamCo
    SamCo Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Only if there is no service charge in the bill and if they were polite
  • bishbut
    bishbut Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I always say anywhere keep the change as I cannot be bothered with small change £ coins and an odd 20 or 10 p coins are all I have with me and always want £5 notes when withdrawing cash I go into my bank or Post Office and they always oblige
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback