Pay mortgage using a 0% credit card

2»

Comments

• hugheskevi wrote: »
    The 0% credit balances are spread across 9 cards at the moment - that is typical, although the number varies over time. The average credit limit is about £9,000 but is quite variable, ranging from £3,000 to £18,000. It can be frustrating to be offered a low limit, as by then you have the application on credit file so may as well take it, so I focus attention on lenders with a reputation for giving larger limits.

Due to being spread over a number of cards, they all mature at different times. It is undesirable for a high amount of credit to all mature at one time as then you need to keep back a big chunk of capital to meet the potential repayment demand if you don't get another offer, but it often happens that way as I usually go through 2 or 3 rounds of applications each year and the offers are often for 12, 15 or 21 months so the longer offers can sometimes inadvertently coincide with shorter offers.

One thing to note is that once you have large amounts of credit available, lenders may be reluctant to offer more, or if they do it isn't much. That might require repayment of some cards as they fall due and then later rebuilding the amount borrowed by taking out more offers. Obviously that isn't an ideal set of timings. My outstanding credit card debt typically ranges between about £50-£80K.

As there are a large number of cards to meet monthly repayments on, plus a reasonable sized amount of capital held to meet potential demand, I also have quite a few banks accounts to take advantage of interest and other rewards from the bank accounts, paying the credit cards from those accounts to meet direct debit requirements.

The £50K is not needed as security against not getting more offers, as I can rely on the £21,818 plus future income to meet credit card repayments if necessary. So the £50K can be used for anything. If used for a pension it is out of the picture as it cannot be accessed. If used to reduce mortgage it is then unavailable for anything else but has reduced the mortgage balance. If used for ISA it is then available if required, providing another buffer if everything else goes wrong.

As credit cards are paid down I am constantly replacing them with new offers, updating the cashflows, and releasing money for investment/mortgage repayment such that I can always pay off the credit cards from cash savings plus income if necessary.

Think of the strategy not so much as using 0% credit cards to pay down a mortgage, rather that it is using 0% credit cards to costlessly borrow against future income to enable you to pay down mortgage now.

There is going to come a time in the next few years where I have invested as much into pensions as I want, my mortgage is paid off and I can make full ISA contributions each year for my wife and I. At that point I'll start winding down the 0% cards as I'll have limited use for extra money.

That's much clearer, thank you. I completely understand your strategy now.

The only one hole I see this is if you stop getting 0% offers from all lenders & you start eating into your ~£22k pot. Then, you'll soon need to pay off all 9 cards (say within the next 24 months) but if you have used the £50k to reduce your mortgage, where will you get the money to pay off all cards? Because it's now in your house & not in your easy access account?
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Then, you'll soon need to pay off all 9 cards (say within the next 24 months) but if you have used the £50k to reduce your mortgage, where will you get the money to pay off all cards? Because it's now in your house & not in your easy access account?
    The funding in that scenario comes primarily from expected future income.

The total balance due across all cards of £72K is paid from a combination of the £22,818 savings kept back, plus the difference between future income and expenditure over the period during which all the cards will fall due.

In that scenario, I would not have any spare cash for many months, until all the cards were fully paid off, but I could meet the monthly and final payments for all cards.
  • That’s incredible, thank you!
  • Then, you'll soon need to pay off all 9 cards (say within the next 24 months) but if you have used the £50k to reduce your mortgage, where will you get the money to pay off all cards? Because it's now in your house & not in your easy access account?

The total balance due across all cards of £72K is paid from a combination of the £22,818 savings kept back, plus the difference between future income and expenditure over the period during which all the cards will fall due.

In that scenario, I would not have any spare cash for many months, until all the cards were fully paid off, but I could meet the monthly and final payments for all cards.
    Hugeskevi, my partner and I are looking for some advice on this. What do you use to get the money off the credit card e.g. Skrill? What's the best way to do it? And are you aware at the moment of the best 0% purchase credit cards? Many thanks in advance. 
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 24 May 2020 at 11:51AM
    akemikat said:
    Then, you'll soon need to pay off all 9 cards (say within the next 24 months) but if you have used the £50k to reduce your mortgage, where will you get the money to pay off all cards? Because it's now in your house & not in your easy access account?

Hugeskevi, my partner and I are looking for some advice on this. What do you use to get the money off the credit card e.g. Skrill? What's the best way to do it? And are you aware at the moment of the best 0% purchase credit cards? Many thanks in advance. 
    I used an old MBNA credit card which permitted free money transfers. That closed to new customers several years ago, and to existing customers a few months ago. It used to be easy to open a credit card offering a nil-fee, 0% interest balance transfer and then balance transfer from the MBNA card to the new card, and finally move the cash from the MBNA card to bank account, all without any fees or interest.
    As I've reached the point where I don't have any particular need for more cash for pension or ISA contributions and I have just paid off mortgage last month (I refinanced all 0% borrowing ahead of COVID19 hitting, in anticipation market disruption/change, so took £70K of 0% balance transfers which is all payable in 2021), I haven't explored the best way to get money from a balance transfer into cash in a bank account at minimum cost. So now I'm just moving debt around using 0% balance transfers as the balances diminish over time.
    I'm not following things very closely, but it does look like there has been a big withdrawal of nil fee 0% balance transfer cards. Unless things change, I don't think the offers can be abused to anything like the extent possible over the last decade.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm not following things very closely, but it does look like there has been a big withdrawal of nil fee 0% balance transfer cards. Unless things change, I don't think the offers can be abused to anything like the extent possible over the last decade.
    They seem to be all but extinct. The main site lists 3: Natwest (+RBS & Ulster bank), Santander and Sainsury's. Despite meeting all criteria and having AFAIK a totally unblemished history the eligibility calculator gives me 0% chance for Natwest, confirmed by Natwest's own calculator. My suspicion is the Natwest card is being wound right down - or maybe they know there is no money to be made from me?! If you follow the link to Sainsbury's no 0 fee cards are available so that just leaves Santander (which I have just taken out).

I have been happily bouncing money round on 0% cards for the last 6 years or so but fear the end may be nigh. There are still low fee 0% cards around which would still be profitable which has me wondering what the trend is with these. I have a 0% deal expiring in January and I'm not sure if I should move it onto a 26month card on a 1% fee now or wait it out to maximise the deal I'm on, at the moment MBNA are offering this and Halifax 26months with 1.2% fee. This is from the deals on the main site, if there are better places to look I am all ears!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback