Potentially Taking A Settlement Agreement

Options
cookie666
cookie666 Posts: 348 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 19 December 2018 at 11:06AM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Been at the company for around 20 years.

In 2015/2016 my company was looking for volunteers for VR, I put my name forward, but my line manager begged me to stay but the package at the time was very tempting, 2 years down the line we have a new CEO and my LM has left (taking a settlement) and last month in my annual review I was told that my team may be going in the new year and that my role was changing vastly (Redundancy for me was not mentioned, but I could see this route in my head) however, my new LM did say have I considered a settlement agreement (they brought it up, not me), I said yes and they've prepared a package, however, this is around 4K less than my VR package from before, does this have to be taken into account at all or are they both completely unrelated?

I'm now in the position that I think I need to leave the company as down the line redundancy may happen and I'm not motivated to stay any more. They've offered to contribute towards legal advice (a tiny amount) so want to be armed with as many questions as I can before I see a solicitor.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Totally unrelated
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That was then and this is now so they're not bound by it. You can always ask for more. If they're expecting to negotiate with you then they will start with a lower figure. Then again they might not be planning on negotiating and it might be the final offer.... see what your solicitor says and what they say.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • cookie666
    Options
    Thanks for the input, any questions that I should be asking my solicitor?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cookie666 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, any questions that I should be asking my solicitor?

You only have one question to ask. Is the settlement amount reasonable? If it exceeds what you would be entitled to as statutory redundancy the solicitor will say 'yes'.

That's pretty much all there is to it.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And whether the settlement agreement includes an agreed reference.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure