PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• willington68
    Options
    many thanks Tamsin
  • pinkduvetdiva
    Options
    :beer::beer: :T:T Hooray! So glad to see that you've completed at last! :j:j
    SG27 wrote: »
    Just completed! :)

Just got to wait now for the vendor to let us know they are out so we can go and collect the keys from them.
  • TickTok
    Options
    Apologies, it's been a few weeks since I've updated. Wish I had an exciting conclusion to post but the process has been ticking along painfully slow.

My original post is buried somewhere in this thread but I'm a FTB purchasing a leasehold flat in London. Mortgage lender is HSBC. Chain free on both sides (vendor is a BTL investor who has decided to sell on and retire, and the flat is vacant). We both want a quick sale. Should be simples, right?

My amended timeline so far...

Week 1
    06/07: Offer accepted
    09/07: Solicitor instructed. Memorandum of sale received from EA.
    10/07: Full application submitted to HSBC by L&C
    11/07: I submit original documents to L&C branch.

Week 2
    16/07: HSBC's valuation done.
    (Waiting for contract pack from seller)

Week 3
    23/07: L&C confirm valuation is fine.
    (...still waiting for contract pack from seller. Slightly worried/annoyed that seller is dragging his feet.)

Week 4
    02/08: Success! Mortgage approval emailed to me today.
    (....STILL waiting for contract pack from seller. I keep prompting my solicitors to chase because they seem content to wait indefinitely. Also prompting EA to tell seller to get on with it.)

Week 5:
    09/08: Contract pack received, finally!

Week 6:
    16/08: I review contract pack and send my questions to my solicitors - not many, just 5-6 points of clarification.

Week 7:
    w/c 20/08: No updates from my solicitors. I chase to find out if searches have started and when enquiries will be sent to seller's solicitors. Radio silence.

Week 8:
    w/c 27/08 Continued silence from my solicitors. I escalate to the Managing Partner, who is overseeing the trainee handling my case. I tell them to copy me on any outgoing correspondence since they are so rubbish at providing updates.
    31/08: Enquiries are sent to seller. Thankfully questions are relatively straightforward and not asking for anything that would take ages to produce. I also receive confirmation that searches are in progress.

Week 9:
    w/c 03/09: Waiting for seller's response to enquiries

Week 10:
    w/c 10/09: No updates from my solicitor but Estate Agent lets me know that responses to enquiries have been returned to my solicitors.

At this point the EA is keeping me better informed than my own solicitors. I'm hoping there are no lengthy follow up questions required and we can sign the contract and exchange soon.

We're both keen to complete by end of month. There's added pressure for me because my landlord is not renewing the lease on my rental. So if this drags on past September, I'll need to find somewhere to live temporarily and also find storage for my belongings. I hope it doesn't come to that!
  • Abi2018 wrote: »
    Any progression for you? It has even confirmed for me that the replies are back and being checked, so hopefully not long!

We've had a week of radio silence from the solicitor. Getting frustrated now!
    How about you?
  • Abi2018 wrote: »
    Ahhh they have been checked through but still missing things from the replies! :(

Blooming nightmare! :( Hope they are back this week.
  • Shellsey84
    Options
    I’ve been waiting on a report from my solicitors since 3rd August. Every time I call they are working on it and should have it finished and sent by the end of the week....... that’s happened 4 times now!
    They’ve cleared their schedule to finish it tomorrow and I should have something by the end of the week...
    I’m not holding my breath. Searches were requested back in June!
    I appreciate that as it’s a leasehold, shared ownership property that it will take a little longer and be more in-depth, but I’m getting slightly impatient now!

Housing association solicitors are on their case to exchange (I was told by my sols) but I’ve not even seen a lease pack or contract yet.

I have never done this before so not sure what I should be expecting!
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2018 at 2:29PM
    Options
    Trying to sort out the collection of keys for tomorrow and this email comes in from the estate agent - now remember we had to move the completion date as they NEEDED Tuesday morning to finish the packing.
    "Keys are slightly tricky! (not through a fault of their own!)
    They have to be in Lincolnshire for 7:30 tomorrow morning and therefore I might miss them going past the office.
    What they are suggesting if you wish to pick them up tomorrow, is to leave them with the owners of the post office, if that suits you? Otherwise, if you do not need them straight away, plan B is that they will take them to Lincolnshire, send them back to me and I can meet you either here in the office or at Cosford to hand over the keys directly? (purely thinking for security on the latter).
    Do let me know which suits you best and we can go from there."
    a) yes we need the keys tomorrow and b) where the frell is the post office or do the owners of the post office live. Strangely as we haven't moved in yet, WE DON'T KNOW. :mad::mad: How can this not be their fault - how can they only know at midday the day before that they won't be in the county to hand over the keys especially given that their removals are due to continue packing tomorrow? I really do despair.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • Roo89
    Roo89 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    TamsinC wrote: »
    Trying to sort out the collection of keys for tomorrow and this email comes in from the estate agent - now remember we had to move the completion date as they NEEDED Tuesday morning to finish the packing.
    "Keys are slightly tricky! (not through a fault of their own!)
    They have to be in Lincolnshire for 7:30 tomorrow morning and therefore I might miss them going past the office.
    What they are suggesting if you wish to pick them up tomorrow, is to leave them with the owners of the post office, if that suits you? Otherwise, if you do not need them straight away, plan B is that they will take them to Lincolnshire, send them back to me and I can meet you either here in the office or at Cosford to hand over the keys directly? (purely thinking for security on the latter).
    Do let me know which suits you best and we can go from there."
    a) yes we need the keys tomorrow and b) where the frell is the post office or do the owners of the post office live. Strangely as we haven't moved in yet, WE DON'T KNOW. :mad::mad: How can this not be their fault - how can they only know at pm the day before that they won't be in the county to hand over the keys especially given that their removals are due to continue packing tomorrow? I really do despair.

O gosh Tamsin, your vendors are complete whack-a-doodles aren't they?!

I agree with you, there's no way they can say it's not their fault. Especially when they set the date for completion!

It's the final hurdle though and you'll never have to deal with them again, hopefully the EA can sort the key situation for you so you can get in tomorrow and (finally) start to enjoy your new home
  • MarwoodS
    Options
    This is my second post and disappointing to see that very little has happened for us in the past month!

06/04/18- Put property on market
    28/06/18- Accepted offer on our property
    29/06/18- Mortgage AIP
    02/07/18- Offer accepted on new property
    04/07/18- Appointed solicitor
    06/07/18- Mortgage application made
    12/07/18- Filled in all solicitor forms and returned
    17/07/18- Buyer survey completed
    18/07/18- Mortgage offer received
    31/07/18- Draft contracts received with sellers property info form and fixtures and fittings
    01/08/18- Some searches have come back including water, 1 query on soakaways
    16/08/18- Enquires received from buyers solictior and answered
    22/08/18- Survey completed on new property
    Update
    29/08/18- Survey report returned and no issues as suspected
    31/8/18- Called estate agent to be told good news, nearly all queries are complete and just waiting for FTB at bottom of chains mortgage offer to be confirmed, due any day
    7/09/18- FTB still not received offer and the delay is caused by them changing their provider for cheaper deal, but told not to worry as paper work due any day. Also that new provider has carried out valuation survey
    14/9/18- Chased again to be told their is a delay with the lender but not to worry as everything is okay.

Starting to get concerned now as this has been ongoing for 3 weeks with the story changing slightly everytime and now holding up exchange date!
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    Roo89 wrote: »
    O gosh Tamsin, your vendors are complete whack-a-doodles aren't they?!
    Complete and utter - and yet everything is our fault :undecided apparently
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family