Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    +1 for the correct use of 'precision'!
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    it should be MPH anyway ..................roll on Brexit :rotfl:
  • arciere wrote: »
    Apologies, Italian here.
    No need to apologise. It could be either gender but we are just being forced to show some form of "equality" by forcing us all to use the feminine forms. I always say "he/him" as I am male.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Pretty difficult question for 10 year olds
  • Pretty difficult question for 10 year olds
    Basic multiplication and division of integers, or "whole numbers" as we called them when I was that age at the end of the 1970s. Given I remember we were doing long multiplication and division at the same age, I'd go for it being a pretty straightforward question for a 10 year old.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Basic multiplication and division of integers, or "whole numbers" as we called them when I was that age at the end of the 1970s. Given I remember we were doing long multiplication and division at the same age, I'd go for it being a pretty straightforward question for a 10 year old.

Really - long division at primary school? Cant honestly remember what we were doing at that age. This question involves deeper understanding than the basic arithmetic to know what to do i suppose. Anyway Im impressed that 10 year olds could tackle it.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2018 at 6:56AM
    Pretty difficult question for 10 year olds
    Not really
    Basic multiplication and division of integers, or "whole numbers" as we called them when I was that age at the end of the 1970s. Given I remember we were doing long multiplication and division at the same age, I'd go for it being a pretty straightforward question for a 10 year old.
    Yep, me too
    Really - long division at primary school? Cant honestly remember what we were doing at that age. This question involves deeper understanding than the basic arithmetic to know what to do i suppose. Anyway Im impressed that 10 year olds could tackle it.
    An 10 year old of average ability would be expected to recognise that 35 is a factor of 70.

Upper key stage 2 - years 5 and 6
    The principal focus of mathematics teaching in upper key stage 2 is to ensure that pupils extend their understanding of the number system and place value to include larger integers. This should develop the connections that pupils make between multiplication and division with fractions, decimals, percentages and ratio.

At this stage, pupils should develop their ability to solve a wider range of problems, including increasingly complex properties of numbers and arithmetic, and problems demanding efficient written and mental methods of calculation. With this foundation in arithmetic, pupils are introduced to the language of algebra as a means for solving a variety of problems. Teaching in geometry and measures should consolidate and extend knowledge developed in number. Teaching should also ensure that pupils classify shapes with increasingly complex geometric properties and that they learn the vocabulary they need to describe them.

By the end of year 6, pupils should be fluent in written methods for all 4 operations, including long multiplication and division, and in working with fractions, decimals
    and percentages.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-mathematics-programmes-of-study/national-curriculum-in-england-mathematics-programmes-of-study#year-6-programme-of-study
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Would have been a mental arithmetic question in 1952 at my primary school.

Could you pass the 11-plus? Exam papers first used in the 1950s

ARITHMETIC
    Read the following:

1. 3,755 is multiplied by 25 and the result is divided by 125. Write down the answer.

2. A motorist leaves home at 10.15am and drives at 32 miles per hour. He stops for lunch from noon to 1.45pm and then continues his journey at 30 miles per hour. How many miles has he travelled by 5pm?

3. An aeroplane uses 100 gallons of petrol for a flight of 150 miles. How far could it fly using 40 gallons?

4. Write in figures: twelve thousand and twelve.

5. A race started at 23 minutes past three and finished at 23 minutes to four. How long did it take?

6. Simplify:

a) 1,000 - 10

b) 25 x 12

c) 615 divided by 3

d) 0.5 + 0.75

e) The fractions 4/5 - 7/10

7. Of 800 people living in a village, half are men and half women. A quarter of the men leave the village to join the army. How many more women then men now remain?

8. Multiply 7,296 by 479.

9. Which of these numbers is divisible by 4 without any remainder: 214, 230, 226, 224, 218?

10. Add all the odd numbers between 12 and 20.

NO CALCULATORS ALLOWED
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    (35 / 70) x 60

ie. 35/70 =miles per minute, then x60 for miles per hour.
  • Not really

Yep, me too

An 10 year old of average ability would be expected to recognise that 35 is a factor of 70.

Not sure why 35 being a factor of 70 would help with that calc? Well i take your point that this would be within the syllabus but to be honest i doubt that every average 20- or 30-year-old would know how to tackle it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure