Free Motor Legal

Morning everyone

I was just shopping around for a cheap motor legal policy as mine is now up for renewal and came across these guys (Freemotorlegal) https://www.freemotorlegal.co.uk

Has anyone had any dealings with them? I can't really find much online.

I got stung last year by not having any legal cover with my car insurance policy (which for someone that used to work in insurance you'd think I'd know better but no, had a total brain fart moment and didn't bother with it) hence having a standalone policy now and given these guys are free I'm curious if it's worth moving over to them and saving £9.99 on my renewal! I'm all for innovative new product models and I understand how they're making money but I don't fancy getting into a mess just for trying to save a small bit of cash if they turn out to be useless.

Any feedback on them?

Comments

• Not used them but they must just be a new flavour of no-win, no-fee? They will most likely only take on cases they can easily win which is also true for the legal cover you pay for.

A lot of people suggest Motor legal cover is not worth it as it's just paid-for no-win, no-fee and ties you into one set of legal firm/claims assistance company. Why do you think you were 'stung by not having any legal cover'; are you sure it would have helped?

In my experience its a lot less hassle to deal with claims myself rather than try and make someone else do it who aren't really interested in my problem.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £9.99 is not bad. Some car insurers charge £25 or £30 for this.

I piad £20 for 4 vehicles with Memonline.
    I have never claimed with them, but they have been trading over 40 years, I have a legally binding contract with them, they are authorised and regulated by the FCA and because it's an insurance product I can use the insurance ombudsman.

If your insurer is offering you £9.99 which is a reasonable price, I'd go with them. I only changed because we wanted cover for multiple vehicles.

In my experience its a lot less hassle to deal with claims myself

This is fine if you are articulate, have the time and are capable after your accident.
    It's not great if you are incapacitated in hospital or have other issues to deal with at the time such as wokring very long hours at work.
    Personally I'd rather have people that know more about it than me on my side.

I don't think £9.99 is a rip-off.
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    It's not great if you are incapacitated in hospital
    In the above case, the 'ambulance chasers' (no-win, no fee solicitors) would be jamming the switchboard to speak to you.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Any feedback on them?

This "freebie" been posted here multiple times

The only good word for it comes from the guy that owns it

Some threads:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5339575

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5173542

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5464205
  • lisyloo
    edited 12 July 2018 at 1:36PM
    In the above case, the 'ambulance chasers' (no-win, no fee solicitors) would be jamming the switchboard to speak to you.

As stated I'd rather deal with a company that have a formal contract to provide me with a service without taking a cut.
    If their service is poor I'm covered by the ombudsman.

I don't believe you have the same protection from someone you haven't paid. Of course you can sign a contract once your in hospital. You might not be in the best position to researh it and it may cost you more than £9.99.

Each to their own though, I'm not pushing anything, merely sharing my own thoughts on the pros and cons.
  • But what happens if the legal services company you've paid an insurance for turns out to be useless or just a claims company with expensive hire cars that are only interested in spinning things out for as long as possible? Then you are back to square one; possibly worse as you will have wasted time finding out they aren't any good.
  • lisyloo
    edited 12 July 2018 at 2:32PM
    But what happens if the legal services company you've paid an insurance for turns out to be useless
    The one I've chosen has been in the industry over 40 years, but as I've said a couple of times already the insurance ombudsman is applicable and free.

or just a claims company with expensive hire cars that are only interested in spinning things out for as long as possible?
    I would probably not take a hire car at all, but if I did I would read what I was signing and certainly wouldn't sign anything that was £300 per day and committing me to taking time off work to attend court when their fees are disputed.

possibly worse as you will have wasted time finding out they aren't any good.
    There are no guarantees, but a service you haven't paid for and don't have a pre-agreed contract with is less likely IMO to provide the service than one that's been established in the business over 40 years and has given you a contract that you can read at your leisure in advance.

Which approach do you think will work best in general?
    Sign up when un-well and suffering from an accident or read the contract and reviews at your leisure in advance?

Your choice of course.
    If you prefer ambulance chasers you are free to do so, but I don't think you have any guarantee either that they will be any good.

Do you think motor insurers would use terrible companies rather than reputable ones?
    In general I don't, so if the motor insurer offers a decent policy (and £9.99 seems reasonable to me) then I'd take it (unless multiple vehicles are in play).

Do you have any arguments FOR ambulance chasers as opposed to an insurer that is regulated/authorised by FCA and has a free ombudsman (apart from saving £9.99) ??? If so let's hear them.
  • Blondetotty
    Blondetotty Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I understand the arguments as to whether to take it out or not but my decision is to have some form of motor legal policy/protection. I'm not taking out the version with my insurance company but a standalone one.

I've read all the T&C's of the free one and understand their business model, I was just asking if anyone had any feedback on them first hand.

Thank you for the links but none are feedback as such, just a version of this thread for which I apologise for starting given there are a couple of others but so far no one seems to have commented on actually using their services, just argue with the company representative and go off topic with minor point scoring in mind.

I understand people questioning why I'm taking it and whether I should be taking it out but I'm an adult, with my faculties intact and I've made the decision to take out a policy and was simply asking if anyone had heard of or used the company and if they have any feedback. I didn't need a discussion as to why I don't need insurance or where to buy any. I'm starting to understand why people don't bother using MSE any longer.

Thanks for all your replies but I'll leave this discussion now and see if I can find another way for finding feedback.
  • Good for you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport