Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the mouse is staying under the floor, what's the problem?

Mice are quite partial to the insulation on electrical cables, and without the insulation you might get a short-circuit which can cause a fire, so you definitely don't want mice anywhere in the house. This is not a time to live and let live.

If you put down mousetraps baited with peanut butter, the mouse/mice will find their way to them. You can use live (humane) traps if you like, but make sure you drive out into the countryside before releasing the mouse.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I don't disagree with trying to catch the mouse, but it's an HA property, so the OP probably isn't going to spend much on this and I have doubts that the HA will act either.

No harm in trying.
  • roger-w5
    roger-w5 Posts: 70 Forumite
    David.973
    have you actually seen a rodent or is there any evidence like droppings (look in your kitchen cupboards) unpleasant rodent smell,nests,chewed wires or furniture,rodent run's,burrows etc.
    Usually its the tenants responsibility to deal with rodents and reduce the chance of rodents in the first place.Check with your landlord in writing,ask your neighbours if they have possible rodent activity.
    Your local environmental health department could offer advice,different rules apply for different properties.
    good luck.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    If you put down mousetraps baited with peanut butter, the mouse/mice will find their way to them.

if you use a mousetrap, try to identify their main "run" - Look for where the droppings are - Then place the trap along the run. Position it so that the "snap" is against the wall, so when the little darling dashes along its run, the trap will get it.

vp_mousetrap_M210.jpg

Alternatively, get a cat and enjoy a fur coated hot water bottle substitute in the winter months.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This is the second time in a year my cat has brought a mouse into the house and let it go (alive). It caused £100's damage before so i need to catch this now!
    This morning i was already at work and OH was just leaving for work when the cat brought in a mouse and let it go. It ran behind the sofa. He had no time so he closed the living room door and went to work. I will get home later (before him) and assuming the mouse is still there - how can i catch it?? It should be easier than last time (which was the kitchen and full of lovely food for the mouse) as there is no food in here
    I was thinking setting up a corral to split the living room in half and then once i've worked out which end he is in, move the corral in to make the space smaller.
    The get some peanut butter and a cardboard box and just wait??
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    I wouldn't bank on him still be in the living room. They can get through very small gaps indeed.
    Personally I'd set some traps.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Spender£
    Spender£ Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    It will head for kitchen in search of food when it get's hungry, leave the doors open when your in to allow it to escape, i used to have a pet rat which used to kill mice which were in my shed.
    Time Is The Enemy!
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The humane traps are pretty good; I've used these a few times:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Cleaning+%26+Pest+Control/d260/Pest+Control/sd3217

I recommend peanut butter.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    It will head for kitchen in search of food when it get's hungry, leave the doors open when your in to allow it to escape, i used to have a pet rat which used to kill mice which were in my shed.
    The last mouse lived for 3 months in my kitchen, snacking on cat biscuits, doubling in size, eating my cables, eating into the back of my fridge.
    Eventually was killed by a rat trap as it was too big for a mouse trap.
    Humane is not on my agenda i am afraid - i cant afford it.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    New cat? You appear to have a dud. :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback