How to find work when long term unemployed?

Honestly, I'm at my wits end now with job searching. I have been trying to find something for months and all to no avail. My problem is because I've been out of work for so long, I lack any references and work experience. Both of which is negatives for finding work.

I've applied for god knows how many jobs online, I've called up quite a few local restaurants to find out if they have any kitchen vacancies available, and I have visited a handful of agencies to enquire about vacancies for warehouse/factory work. I don't know what else to do.

I am pretty low on money to begin with as I'm on Universal Credit. I genuinely thought a couple of the agencies I went to would have work available as they usually do, but nothing. Either no jobs or they require experience in warehouse work.

It's kind of frustrating. I have considered volunteering, but working for free for god knows how long just to be able to say I've done something isn't particularly appealing because I am desperate for money tbh. I think I may have to keep phoning around places to ask if they have work available. I applied for a leaflet distribution job yesterday, but I don't have a car.

Not sure what other choices I have. Any advice?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Volunteer work will give you a reference and will show willing.
    Worth it for that, if nothing else. You do need to show that you've done something while unemployed.
    What about pub work? Or calling in to places in person rather than phoning? Face to face sometimes gets you a better response.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Have you tried the likes of KFC/McDonalds? Local pubs?

Put together an email with a CV and explain why you have 2 years off and just be honest, people appreciate honesty. Send it to businesses. I know a few people who have got jobs that were not advertised on the back of sending them an email. I actually took a lad on once who emailed me asking for a job, I appreciated he was being pro-active and it clearly was not just to show the job centre.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,835
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why would being unemployed for a longer period of time devoid you of references? (which you seem to imply)?

You will need to find a creative way to portray the gap in your employment history and address this in your CV as it's likely prospective employers are putting it straight in the bin when they notice (I would).

Some ways this could be done would be just putting the year you worked at places (2018 - Job A XXXX, 2016 - Job B XXXX). This wouldn't rule you out but you would be questioned about dates when you interview and at least this gives you an opportunity to speak to the employer. Also, you need to be justifying the gap, if you said you've had trouble finding work, that would trigger alarm bells as they'd wonder why. Have you been on any holidays? You could say you took a small break for a long holiday whilst you were still young for example or maybe cared for someone?

Lastly, it is a fair reason but you need to be sure it IS the break in job history that is the only reason you're not getting jobs. If you're not getting interviews, consider having a trusted friend/relative check your CV. If you are getting interviews but not jobs, consider having a trusted friend/relative help with mock interviews.
    ACG wrote: »
    explain why you have 2 years off

Wait, is it two years??
    Know what you don't
  • Enigma16
    Enigma16 Posts: 48 Forumite
    ACG wrote: »
    Have you tried the likes of KFC/McDonalds? Local pubs?

Put together an email with a CV and explain why you have 2 years off and just be honest, people appreciate honesty. Send it to businesses. I know a few people who have got jobs that were not advertised on the back of sending them an email. I actually took a lad on once who emailed me asking for a job, I appreciated he was being pro-active and it clearly was not just to show the job centre.

Yes the sending of an email explaining my unemployment and why I would appreciate the job would be a good idea. What businesses would you recommend I sent to?
  • Enigma16 wrote: »
    Yes the sending of an email explaining my unemployment and why I would appreciate the job would be a good idea. What businesses would you recommend I sent to?
    Those you are interested in working for and that you consider you can offer something.

I think you need to be a little more proactive. How many agencies have you signed up with? I also think that you need to reconsider voluntary work; it will show you are willing and they'll be able to give you a reference. Being a volunteer doesn't stop you applying for a full time, paid post. You can still do that in the meantime. If it takes 3 months to find something that is three months solid experience. Not only in work, but in forming good, work related habits, such as adhering to a schedule.
  • MissPickle
    MissPickle Posts: 2,294 Forumite
    Try not to get disheartened. Things will perk up :j
    It's a difficult time of year, January can be a bit of a crummy month.
    Keep your confidence high & believe in yourself. Go get em tiger.
    You could work for yourself & go self employed. Just choose something you are passionate about & go for it.
    Universal credit will give you a 12 month start up break from the minimum income floor.
    They will help you set it up & give you advice.
    It's gotta be worth a shot :)
    It's at least an option to think about.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 January 2019 at 1:35PM
    Any local pubs not part of a chain, they may not advertise but do it via word of mouth, give it a try, same with restaurants.

Can you drive or ride a moped/scooter ?

Takeaway driver.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,201
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    what do the job centre suggest?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Enigma16
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Any local pubs not part of a chain, they may not advertise but do it via word of mouth, give it a try, same with restaurants.

Can you drive or ride a moped/scooter ?

Takeaway driver.

I don't drive, no. I am seriously considering ringing around more pubs/restaurants and seeing if they have kitchen work such as a washer up for e.g, something just a few hours a week if needs be. I just need money at the moment tbh.

I have tried applying to chain restaurants/pubs like Wetherspoons, Harvester etc for kitchen porter roles, but haven't gotten a reply so thinking outside the box. I was considering Indian, Chinese etc restaurants, but they usually have their own people working those kitchen jobs.
  • Enigma16
    Those you are interested in working for and that you consider you can offer something.

I think you need to be a little more proactive. How many agencies have you signed up with? I also think that you need to reconsider voluntary work; it will show you are willing and they'll be able to give you a reference. Being a volunteer doesn't stop you applying for a full time, paid post. You can still do that in the meantime. If it takes 3 months to find something that is three months solid experience. Not only in work, but in forming good, work related habits, such as adhering to a schedule.

I've signed up with 4 agencies in my town. They are the 4 agencies which are aimed more at minimum wage jobs and probably give me a better chance to find something. A couple of those agencies are Jark Recruitment, Quattro Recruitment and Adecco.

The problem I have is due to long term unemployment, suffering from mental health and taking care of my dad, It's difficult to explain away my absence from work, and for the agents to understand fully without being a little negatively judgmental. At the end of the day, agency workers are there to get people into work, so once I say I don't have experience in warehousing like picking or packing (can't get it without working as a warehouse worker) and also call centre.

I used to work in a supermarket when I was younger, but no chance of getting reference/s because the guy I used to work for is no longer there. My work history is a bit inconsistent and my last job was working as a general building assistant/labourer with a family member.

It's kind of frustrating because I'd be happy to work for free for a day if it meant the chance to work for a company on a more permanent basis, but not sure many, if any employers would be willing to give that chance. I am going to have to seriously consider volunteering if nothing comes about soon. The only thing I don't like about volunteering is starting work there and then finding a job, then having to quit. I don't like committing to a place and then needing to take off when I find paid work. I know it's inevitable, but still doesn't feel comfortable.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback