Prom Dress

My d.d will (hopefully) be going to her school prom. The American hype wasn't around when I left school in the 80s, we signed shirts,egged and floured a few kids and went home!

I know not to give suggestions on style, colours etc but as o.h and I will be forking out for it we will have a say in cost. Can anyone offer advice? When to get it? Where from? Any other tips,

Thanks.
Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I've seen enough posts to suggest you don't get it from a Chinese website (or from a website that purports to be UK based but isn't).
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 September 2018 at 5:35PM
    My GCSE prom dress came from Debenhams, my A level prom dress was made by Mom.

ASOS have quite a good range, quite a few bridal shops carry prom dresses (or bridesmaid dresses which can be worn to prom) but typically anything wedding related has a few £ added to the price.

I was in a Debenhams store yesterday and they had quite a few dresses which would be prom-suitable on the sale rail. I got one of my formal dresses from a Phase Eight outlet, which you tend to find at the designer outlet villages, and the second is a Coast dress that I bought on eBay. Phase Eight and Coast are both pretty pricey, I think Lipsy runs cheaper. You can typically find these stores in the big shopping centres - the Trafford Centre definitely has all four, plus Monsoon and Quiz which are also good bets. Oh and TK Maxx often has dresses in, either in the run up to Christmas (for NYE I guess?) or the run up to prom season.

If you can talk your daughter into something classic she can buy it any time, but I think 2019 prom dresses will start appearing in the Spring 2019 collections - so March/April.

It's worth noting that a cheap item of clothing can look a lot more expensive (and more flattering) if it's properly tailored. Dress alterations don't have to cost much, but if the prom is July I'd try and get the dress booked in for alterations 3-4 weeks before on the assumption that there'll be a lot of bridal bookings. As an example, I had my heavily beaded Phase Eight dress lifted at the shoulders, and that only cost £30. Mom could've done it for free, but she hates working with dark fabric and it's navy so I thought best not to ask. ;)
  • Usually online retailers like ASOS, boohoo, missguided etc have a specific section for prom to save you time browsing through the whole site and you can even filter the search for new in. They even have reviews to explain how well the outfit fits/looks if you're apprehensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure