Death registered, what's next?

Options
Hi, looking for some guidance. Mum died two days ago. We've registered her death and arranged the funeral, and I'm going to be using the Tell Us Once service tomorrow - that's been pretty simple but what next?

- do we need to tell the bank asap? Who else do we need to prioritise?
- we have a will, but it's got mum's old address on it - will that matter?
- mum's estate is to be divided equally between me and my brother, will it be simpler if just one of us applies for probate? (we are both executors)
- Mum's estate comprises two bank accounts with the same bank, plus 3 investment ISAs plus a SORN car (old and undriven for several years), low value house contents plus house. I estimate the whole estate to be worth c.£195k, although we're due a care home bill for around £7k and there will be some other minor bills outstanding. Does this sound DIY-able?
- If we apply for probate ouselves but find it too stressful to continue, can we get professional help to complete the process?
- Any tips on coping with managing the process and keeping stress levels manageable?

Thanks x

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Felixity wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some guidance. Mum died two days ago. We've registered her death and arranged the funeral, and I'm going to be using the Tell Us Once service tomorrow - that's been pretty simple but what next?

- do we need to tell the bank asap? Who else do we need to prioritise?
    - we have a will, but it's got mum's old address on it - will that matter?
    - mum's estate is to be divided equally between me and my brother, will it be simpler if just one of us applies for probate? (we are both executors)
    - Mum's estate comprises two bank accounts with the same bank, plus 3 investment ISAs plus a SORN car (old and undriven for several years), low value house contents plus house. I estimate the whole estate to be worth c.£195k, although we're due a care home bill for around £7k and there will be some other minor bills outstanding. Does this sound DIY-able?
    - If we apply for probate ouselves but find it too stressful to continue, can we get professional help to complete the process?
    - Any tips on coping with managing the process and keeping stress levels manageable?

Thanks x
    You could start by reading the stickies at the begining of this forum. You need to tell the bank ASAP. You will need probate nd this should not be difficult if you follow the instructions. You could as a solicitor for help but it probably is not needed. One executor can apply and the other reserve powers. Plenty of help here and don’t hesitate to ask.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Sounds a simple estate so you should be able to do it yourselves. As for one of you doing it that will be no problem. The none acting executor should hold their powers in reserve rather than renouncing them that way they can step into the breach should the other be unable to continue for any reason.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My condolences to you both.

I agree with the others, it sounds straightforward estate and you should be able to manage it yourself, plenty of advice on here and elsewhere. I hadn't a clue this time last year and quickly learnt. DIY saves time and money.

Re stress - actually you don't have to do much very quickly, you feel like you have to "dash around doing things" but you don't.

Presumably you have been handling finances if Mum was in care home? That helps as means you know what is where and how much etc .

Things like utilities / banks have bereavement teams who are very used to this sort of situation (and I found them very helpful) - they advise, produce bills which don't have to be paid until probate etc etc .
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    mum's estate is to be divided equally between me and my brother, will it be simpler if just one of us applies for probate? (we are both executors)

If it is very convenient to get together it makes very little difference as the main role is signing the documents when something needs doing.

If not it can be more convenient for one to act as the signatory(post address etc.) and each do what they can to share the load and deal with the practical day to day issue of sorting things out.

things like location and available time can help swing the choice or it may be that one of you is just more organized and will be better at keeping the paperwork in order or already has most of the info as they had LPA.

So far looks straight forward for a DIY job.

Get forms PA1 and IHT205 they are kind of self guiding and a good place to start.

Any terms you are not sure of google helps a lot.

one thing that can be a little difficult is the time scales, many feel the need to get on with the job but it does tend to be a case of do a bit send off letters then wait for replies then do the next bit.

Something simple like dealing with a utility can take a couple of weeks most of the time waiting for the postman.

Depending what the plans are for the house that can drive a few choices quite early to make something a bit easier later.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Download all the forms you will need from here. If you fill then in on your computer rather than printed copies then all the totals, b/f and c/f figure will be filled in automatically. You can save a part completed form and take as much time as you need before printing them out.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/inheritance-tax-forms

There is now a new PA1P probate form for estates where there is a Will.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You will have a house to clear. Do just the minimum for now - clear the foodstuffs and perishables.

My MIL died at home at the end of December surrounded by lots of equipment supplied by the NHS and its taken a bit of digging to find out where it all came from. The surplus prescriptions have gone back to the Chemist, the pressure bed has been collected, commodes and walkers and surplus pads go back next week. Today I am phoning around for the hearing aids - I think they have to go back to the NHS.

Then we can start and see whats what but in the meantime the house is presentable.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • wizzywilc
    Options
    I've always found the people on the HMRC probate helpline very good when I've had any queries.
    The other advantage of DIY probate is that you always know where you are and are in control of the process. For many people it's also a helpful focus at a time when you are grieving.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    You will have a house to clear. Do just the minimum for now - clear the foodstuffs and perishables.

My MIL died at home at the end of December surrounded by lots of equipment supplied by the NHS and its taken a bit of digging to find out where it all came from. The surplus prescriptions have gone back to the Chemist, the pressure bed has been collected, commodes and walkers and surplus pads go back next week. Today I am phoning around for the hearing aids - I think they have to go back to the NHS.

Then we can start and see whats what but in the meantime the house is presentable.
    Check the house insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport