Money Moral Dilemma: Should I go back and pay for my train ticket?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
When catching a train there was no time for me to buy a ticket. The lady at the station said not to worry, I could buy one at my destination. However, when I arrived, the ticket office was closed, so I left without paying.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: Everyone who doesn't pay for their ticket causes the rest of us to pay more in the long run.

Suggestion: go back to a ticket office, explain situation, offer to pay and see what they say.
  • marich
    marich Posts: 125 Forumite
    Dilemma , what dilemma ?

This is another"What can we dream up next ?" from the back office in MSE Towers...

Does nobody actually write in ?
  • Hodgie
    Hodgie Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If the train companies won't employ sufficient staff to man a station when it''s open......
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Should you? Yes.
    Will you? Probably not.
    Would I? Nope.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you got away with it .... no. :)

You didn't intend to defraud when you set out on your journey, you were just "lucky" that day.

They won't go bankrupt due to your actions once. They don't know, so can't come after you.

Got away with it .... end of. :)

It'll never happen again, so it's not like your next trip and future trips will be embarked with an intent to defraud. It's just how the cookie crumbled this time.
  • How can you sleep at night?
  • _nate
    _nate Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I am with the people who suggest that if you want to charge people money for something then you might try having staff available at a minimum. It's kind of polite. And also ask, how often do you bother claiming refunds for delayed trains? The process is tedious. The rail companies are terrible and probably owe you more than you owe them overall. Life goes on.
  • Erica51
    Erica51 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I should just set it against all the times you could have claimed delay repay and didn't bother. I usually travel on London Northwest Railway and it happens all the time.
  • It's not a moral dilemma because failing to pay - to me - seems obvious theft.
    However the station staff allowed you to travel with no ticket & then failed to provide the facility to pay after the journey, so that's on them.

Logically, if it bothers you then pay for the ticket either whenever you next travel by rail or if you happen to be passing the station. I think making a special trip back just to pay for the ticket doesn't make sense.

In point of fact, I don't think I would pay but I also wouldn't claim to be a good example, morally speaking.
    You didn't have a "permit to travel" (do they still even do those?), I would assume that if there'd been a conductor you would have been in trouble, thus you "got away with it" based on the railway (presumably) "saving money" by not having appropriate levels of staff so my opinion is that occasional missed fares will be an inevitable price they'll pay for that.
  • kazt2006
    kazt2006 Posts: 54 Forumite
    As long as you had the means to pay during your journey, if no one checked your ticket and there happened to be no one at your destination then take it as a freebie! Happened to me on a tram recently, I had a £10 in my hand all journey the conductor ignored me - £2.80 saved!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure