Economy 7 meter

Can someone please help me figure out if everything is okay with my meter. I can’t seem to get the help that I need from my supplier Utilita.
I moved in to my flat in September 2018, it’s a massive flat 2 bedroom, fairly large living room, kitchen and a massive bathroom.
When I initially moved I started off on a prepay smart meter in which after 6 weeks my husband who works abroard started telling me that I’m using way too much for someone who is currently living alone and who is mostly at work during the day.

I started to notice that I would spend £20 is 3 days which seems like quite a lot and mostly I’m not at home. I called out an electrician who made sure that my storage heaters are setup correctly at the right peak times.
However that seems like nothing changed so I then changed over to DD and they said I can start off at £90 a month.
What is worrying me the most now is that fact that I have been staying at my parents house since last week Tuesday and everything I mean everything is switched off except for my refrigerator.

So the usage they are telling me is since last Wednesday up to now 25kwh, Thurs - 30kwh, Fri - 25kwh, Sat - 24kwh, Sun - 35kwh, Mon - 25kwh and Tue - 30kwh.
This is whilst no one is in the property. Last week I spoke to 2 people from Utilita and they both said definitely something is not right I must have something in the flat which is causing this extreme usage. Personally I don’t know what else I can do as everything is off in the house.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If you are in a flat you really need to make sure that the meter you are reading is yours - it's not unheard of for the meters in flats to be connected to the wrong flat. Even your In Home Device might be reading the wrong meter.

You can check that it's your meter by turning everything off (including the fridge and freezer - ten minutes to a couple of hours wont cause a problem - and ensure that the meter does not increment at all. Then turn on an electric kettle and make sure that your meter starts to record whilst the kettle is on.

Where is your fuseboard in relation to the meter - if it's accessible try turning it off at the main switch to check as well.

Likewise check that the bills and statements refer to your meter (check the serial number on the meter and on the bill)
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Ok yes I think I will try that. My fuse box is in the flax and it’s accessible I will have to do that because I was also starting to think that I will need to make sure that the meter is definitely mine and not someone else’s.
  • SChae wrote: »
    Ok yes I think I will try that. My fuse box is in the flax and it’s accessible I will have to do that because I was also starting to think that I will need to make sure that the meter is definitely mine and not someone else’s.
    Watch for the small flashing red light on the meter increase quite a lot when say, a kettle is switched on, then decreases when its off.someone at the other end on a mobile to you to tell you when its on and off is needed.
    If Utilita have a working smart meter it should nt get the day/night readings mixed up but if its a dumb meter its common for suppliers to mix them
  • Once I run the checks I hope I find the issue. I also was thinking that might what they have done but it is a smart meter whic they installed in September. They keep on insisting that I have something in the house that is causing this however I am not even in my flat and everything is switched off. So definitely something is wrong somewhere.

I’m just confused as to how much I should be paying because nothing seems right anyways. Even when I was topping up I would top up something like £120 a month even when I had the heaters switched off in the house at one point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure