Which sofa shop would you recommend?

Not sure if this is the right section to post but please move if not. Sorry if this turns out long!

Been to one of the retails parks where they have 5/6 sofa stores and liked one in Sofology and another in SCS. Need to go back to visit the last 2 stores. Not looking for leather but looking for a darkish grey fabric or that suede-y material they have nowadays.

Now a search brought me to mse again re Sofology and it being on watchdog as they are so awful so that was off putting! However when everyone was hating on DFS a few years ago we had a decent sofa so always wondered if it's just down to bad luck getting a bad sofa as you can clearly see sofas which sink in showrooms so we actively avoided those.

Not looking for anything fancy or bulky. Just a nice and simple family sofa. More around the region of £500-£650 (saw a few in this price range) and if cheaper then even better! Something more firm than soft.

It's already so daunting finding the right sofa and we still haven't decided but maybe your expert will help me go to the right shop. When you buy it you're stuck for it for ages as we can't really keep replacing every few years.

Thanks in advance!
Cup of Tea? :coffee:

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can you get to an IKEA? You aren't paying sales commission, they test for durability and quality, offer guarantees. Popular lines you can replace bits for many years.

My IKEA sofabed (clic clac) was £500 maybe and lasted over 10 years, Would have been longer had I not sat in the same spot for a chunk of that! The frame had a choice of several matresses and I went for, suitable for sleeping 'everyday'. Covers fit snugly but unzipped to cram into the washing machine.

Had I gone to IKEA a year earlier I could have had a new mattress for a few hundred and easily another five years plus. Would have too! Miss being able to machine wash the covers as well as the throws.

This SCS sofabed (clic clac) I bought last year and a similar price. Firm as with many clic clac sofabeds. The delivery drivers were on a crazy schedule so threw it together, left a little pot of random bits ....

It has some rickety bits that badly need tightening, has settled quite a bit all along the seat, I fall asleep here too often! :p But nothing horrifying or disappointing. So far the quality I expected for the price point.

Child free household, just me and the cat. Cannot imagine multiple people dodging drink or food spills!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Look at DFS. Also are you either near a branch of SofaSofa or willing to buy on line as i would recommend them on past experience?

https://www.sofasofa.co.uk/
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    We like SCS - got a 3 seater a couple of years from them and because we like the sofa so much, just ordered a matching 2 seater to go with it.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    None of them. I'd rather buy secondhand. Sofas are bulky things which people often find hard to sell, so locating a good pair last time we looked was fairly easy.
  • I would also recommend sofasofa, they offer very good value for money :j
    The transaction was smooth and easy and their quality very good, I've recommended them to many others and no negative experiences yet !

I bought 2 of these Madrid sofa's 18 years ago and am still using them :j
    https://www.sofasofa.co.uk/2-seater-sofas/madrid-2-seater-sofa.html
  • rachpid
    rachpid Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We got ours in Sofology nearly two years ago and it's still in great condition, no sagging or fading. It's survived two moves in that time with the arms having to come off to get through doors too.
  • CupofTea
    CupofTea Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you for sharing your detailed experience.

I like IKEA for a lot of stuff but I just can't deal with their sofas. I find them too low and too soft too or for other reasons. I live next door to one so I've been there regularly but it's always one I just don't consider for sofas unfortunately. Although I do like the look of a few of them but sitting on them disappoints me.

We used to have their sofa bed and it was so comfy. It didn't have an armrest though which is something I do want in a sofa.
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Can you get to an IKEA? You aren't paying sales commission, they test for durability and quality, offer guarantees. Popular lines you can replace bits for many years.

My IKEA sofabed (clic clac) was £500 maybe and lasted over 10 years, Would have been longer had I not sat in the same spot for a chunk of that! The frame had a choice of several matresses and I went for, suitable for sleeping 'everyday'. Covers fit snugly but unzipped to cram into the washing machine.

Had I gone to IKEA a year earlier I could have had a new mattress for a few hundred and easily another five years plus. Would have too! Miss being able to machine wash the covers as well as the throws.

This SCS sofabed (clic clac) I bought last year and a similar price. Firm as with many clic clac sofabeds. The delivery drivers were on a crazy schedule so threw it together, left a little pot of random bits ....

It has some rickety bits that badly need tightening, has settled quite a bit all along the seat, I fall asleep here too often! :p But nothing horrifying or disappointing. So far the quality I expected for the price point.

Child free household, just me and the cat. Cannot imagine multiple people dodging drink or food spills!
  • CupofTea
    harz99 wrote: »
    Look at DFS. Also are you either near a branch of SofaSofa or willing to buy on line as i would recommend them on past experience?

Quite far away for a round trip but thank you.
  • CupofTea
    harz99 wrote: »

We like SCS - got a 3 seater a couple of years from them and because we like the sofa so much, just ordered a matching 2 seater to go with it.

Thank you for your recommendation. I couldn't buy online without trying but also it's too far away but I do like the look of a few of their sofas.
  • CupofTea
    Davesnave wrote: »
    None of them. I'd rather buy secondhand. Sofas are bulky things which people often find hard to sell, so locating a good pair last time we looked was fairly easy.

That's true. They don't have a resale value really but we'd keep ours for years which is why I don't mind buying new.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport