Time of sick

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    And I also didn’t say I went to work and spent the whole day with my head on the desk.

No, just "most of the day" which is totally fine!

:rotfl::rotfl:
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi @soolin as I said previously in the thread I don’t think I would be sacked for taking some sickness days because they wouldn’t be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm. Thank goodness you aren’t a manager as you sound like a right idiot.

So no my boss wouldn’t sack me imo for taking a few days of sick when I’ve been coming into work with my cold, couching and sneezing for the past 6 weeks and even commming n in Friday when I was feeling dreadful and had an awful dry cough.

To the other posters I also got knocked of my bike that morning and I still came into work. It was my boss who told me to seek medical help.

You really attacking a board guide like that?

As was pointed out, you can be dismissed in the first 2 years for no reason. Having a sick note does not protect you in anyway.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi @soolin as I said previously in the thread I don’t think I would be sacked for taking some sickness days because they wouldn’t be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm. Thank goodness you aren’t a manager as you sound like a right idiot.

So no my boss wouldn’t sack me imo for taking a few days of sick when I’ve been coming into work with my cold, couching and sneezing for the past 6 weeks and even commming n in Friday when I was feeling dreadful and had an awful dry cough.

To the other posters I also got knocked of my bike that morning and I still came into work. It was my boss who told me to seek medical help.
    From a company perspective which is better? A worker that they can not place any reliance on or no worker at all?

I would go for the 2nd option as that way you know exactly where you stand and be able to put solid contingencies in place to deal with it..

Your belief that you are indispensable are badly misplaced.
  • UserName123
    Options
    Once again the majority of the people on this board go on the attack mode instead of being in the real work world.

I’ve never said my role was indespensable, no ones role is. I don’t appreciate certain members of this board attacking a genuine illness and saying I’m not working within the policy and procedures of the company, which I am.

FYI the sickness policy is two incidences within a six month period triggers a sickness reviews. My boss wouldn’t sack me imo for a genuine illness. If he does, so what. My health is more important and if he’s going to go above company policy so what. I’ll just find another job.
  • UserName123
    Options
    No @JCS1 he’s placing scare tactics into me. If they weren’t happy with my work they would take measures to sack me, taking a few days of because I’m sick isn’t going to be a catylist. And so what if it is, obviously not the right job and I’m wasting my time and I’ll find something more stable.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    Options
    Wow what attitude! Calling someone an idiot for giving you good advice.

If you are indispensable then how on earth have they been managing without you during your prolonged episodes of sickness.

Siting with your head on the desk when you should be working, I bet you are popular with your colleagues. the same colleagues incidentally that are doing your work whilst you are off. Wont be long till the management realise that the work is getting done without you there and so they do not actually need you.

Just what value are you to the company?
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    Options
    No @JCS1 he’s placing scare tactics into me. If they weren’t happy with my work they would take measures to sack me, taking a few days of because I’m sick isn’t going to be a catylist. And so what if it is, obviously not the right job and I’m wasting my time and I’ll find something more stable.

Im afraid that if you think that you will find a company with stable employment that will accept your sickness record and sitting with your head on the desk acceptable then you are seriously deluded.
  • UserName123
    Options
    @theoretica that’s a hard one as I sleep until late morning Saturday from 4pm. So who knows if the sleep has helped me recover and I’ll be ok tomorrow morning. On Friday I should have gone home because I wasn’t ok being at work. I was too fatigued and aching all over. A monster 18 hour sleep shows I was ill.

Perhaps it’s worth while going to the doctor Monday and still going into work if they give me the Ok?

What do you suggest? It’s just I’m used to working from home/shared space and now I have to be physically somewhere so I’m not sure what the “norm” is.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I suggest you go to the doctor if you don't feel well enough to work on Monday - or try to, I don't know how easy it is to get appointments where you are. You have tried resting, probably quite a bit since November, and it seems like you might need something more. There is little point continuing with something that isn't really working for you, without investigating other options.

It is 'the norm' to go in to work in offices with most colds, but it is not the norm to have colds constantly for months.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’ve been in my current role for 6 months. I’ve been ill with colds since late November and Friday I felt awful and should have asked to go home as I was too ill. I’ve called 111 and they said I don’t need to see a doctor atm but I do need rest.

My department don’t seem to be keen on people taking sick days so I’m a bit worried about taking time of. The sickness policy at work is two incidences in 6 months, which I will now trigger. The other incident was when I got knocked of my bike on my way to work, so that was genuine as I did go to work and leave shortly after.

I know I won’t be sacked or anything, and can self certificate for up to a week but because of the culture of the job I don’t know if they will think my illness doesn’t warrent time of work. It’s my first job in an office, I’m used to working remotely so if I was il I would work for a few hours, rest etc.

My work colleagues won’t be under stress as it’s a really quite time of year.

Can anyone give me reassuranc or tips? No one else takes time of work in my department, they were even given extra holiday fornit having any sickness in a year.

Not sure how you know no one else takes time off - you weren't there this time last year or the year before. From your other posts you don't know what the "norm" is which makes it even more bizarre seeking tips on what to do.

If you are sick you are sick, don't be selfish and infect others. If you end up not meeting the job's requirements let someone else have a go at doing it.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure