Time of sick

Comments

• Thanks everyone. I had the usual stat days of over Christmas and new year. I felt ok to work generally, although I would have felt appreciated if I had time of work as usually I would been on bed rest and recovered in a somewhat normal time frame.

However as the guy next to me went to work when he had a “terrible cold” and three people around me went to work with sniffles etc, I thought it was “normal” to go to work with a cold. (Team of 7)

I don’t know if I’m getting a cold straight after each other or I have a compromised immune system. I did feel absolutely awful Friday and did have my head on the desk most of the day. Not sure if my boss saw me but the person sitting next to me did.

If you have an office job then yes it is normal to go to work with a cold. You take a box of tissues, a little bottle of hand sanitiser (for the sake of your colleagues), have some paracetamol and get on with it.

Its definitely not normal to go to work and spend the day with your head on the desk, that is utterly ridiculous.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2019 at 11:00AM
    It's harsh but I think OP needs to seriously re consider his stance here re time off and GP certification.

Having time off for ' a cold' is rarely seen in a sympathetic light nowadays and with so little employment time and an earlier period of sickness I would proceed with caution.

To me that makes it all the more important to get to see a GP, anyone will do, do you have a walk in centre for instance? A GP certificate stating something other than ' a cold' will look better when any consideration is made about future employment. I have HR experience (in the past) and a self certification for anything longer than a day, two at most for ' a cold' would trigger an automatic employment review.

I am also very concerned by the statement in the OP 'I know I won’t be sacked or anything' which either means the OP knows something else that we don't, or else OP believes (as has been mentioned) that being sick protects you from being let go.

The reality also might be that if the OP has worked alone at home for a while they may catch any little bug or cold going once they work in a modern office with others. To many of us having colds and feeling awful at work for a period each winter becomes fairly normal . I was at work on Friday with several people who had very heavy colds and who were working , topped up with lemsip and day nurse, as normal. No doubt at some point this winter I too will get a cold (although the older I get the less I seem to get) and will sit on the tube feeling very sorry for myself.

I know we are not allowed to offer medical advise but OP, look at ways to increase your resistance to common colds, or at least reduce the symptoms, different things work for different people, some swear by Vitamin C pills or other vitamins, or just make sure you eat healthily and remain fit.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hi @soolin as I said previously in the thread I don’t think I would be sacked for taking some sickness days because they wouldn’t be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm. Thank goodness you aren’t a manager as you sound like a right idiot.

So no my boss wouldn’t sack me imo for taking a few days of sick when I’ve been coming into work with my cold, couching and sneezing for the past 6 weeks and even commming n in Friday when I was feeling dreadful and had an awful dry cough.

To the other posters I also got knocked of my bike that morning and I still came into work. It was my boss who told me to seek medical help.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ^thanks.
    I’m not going to work Monday. I’m sick of being ill and I need to break the cycle.

What do you expect Monday off to do that Saturday and Sunday off will not?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • And I also didn’t say I went to work and spent the whole day with my head on the desk.
  • @theoretica rest at home, sleep to get rid of the virus because clearly it’s not going by itself. And I wouldn’t be taking one day off, until it got suddenly better.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi @soolin as I said previously in the thread I don’t think I would be sacked for taking some sickness days because they wouldn’t be able to fill my position as the director will say no. It was hard enough to get my position refilled and there is a ban on spending atm. Thank goodness you aren’t a manager as you sound like a right idiot.

Well that's me told!

Good luck then with your career, it sounds like you might need it. personally I've never found anyone that has been so important to a role that they were above all the processes and policies, but cest la vie.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    This is a really good example of glass half full/half empty thinking :D

“I’m safe in my role because the director didn’t want to fill this post in the first place so if my boss fired me he’d be a man down”

As opposed to

“I need to be squeaky clean at all times because the director thinks my role is not necessary to the business and the rest of my team have lots of capacity at the moment”
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,297 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    @theoretica rest at home, sleep to get rid of the virus because clearly it’s not going by itself. And I wouldn’t be taking one day off, until it got suddenly better.

You have presumably been doing this since Friday evening - does it feel like it working and only needs a bit more time?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Labsuper
    Labsuper Posts: 266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    And I also didn’t say I went to work and spent the whole day with my head on the desk.
    No you said you spent most of the day with your head on the desk. That's not what you are paid to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure