Outdoor Weddings- what happened?!

Just before the budget, there was an announcement about changes to allow couples to marry outdoors and not just in premises with a licence. Then the budget came and went with no further news.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
I have my heart set on a cheap and cheerful outdoors wedding so this would really have made a difference to me!

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2019 at 7:45PM
    Why would it anything to do with the budget?

It seems it didn't...

http://www.lawandreligionuk.com/2018/10/30/marriage-law-civil-partnership-and-budget-2018/
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Why would it anything to do with the budget?

Because a review of the law was to be announced in the Budget

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46003532

But like many others, they were bound by restrictions on where couples can marry in England and Wales, meaning they had to attend a legal ceremony at a register office before their dream day.

Such restrictions could come to an end soon, after it was revealed a shake-up of the law will feature in Monday's Budget.

The review will look at giving couples more choice on where they hold their wedding and could mean restrictions are lifted on al fresco locations, from gardens to beaches.
  • Gloomendoom
    bettylou wrote: »
    Just before the budget, there was an announcement about changes to allow couples to marry outdoors and not just in premises with a licence. Then the budget came and went with no further news.
    Can anyone shed any light on this?
    I have my heart set on a cheap and cheerful outdoors wedding so this would really have made a difference to me!

It might still. It wasn't part of the Budget speech but buried in the associated documentation is this...

"The government has asked the Law Commission to propose options for a simpler and fairer system to give modern couples meaningful choice. This will include looking at reducing unnecessary red tape and lowering the cost of wedding venues for couples."
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Depends upon what you mean about "outdoor weddings". DS No 3 married outside at the local vineyard in 2015. As long as the venue is licenced for weddings and a Registrar is present, they have been legal for some years x
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    sheramber wrote: »
    Because a review of the law was to be announced in the Budget

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46003532

But like many others, they were bound by restrictions on where couples can marry in England and Wales,......

The review will look at giving couples more choice on where they hold their wedding and could mean restrictions are lifted on al fresco locations, from gardens to beaches.

I just glanced at this and thought "who the hell wants to get married in a Tesco"

Memo to self, get glasses checked.........
  • thorsoak
    kangoora wrote: »
    i just glanced at this and thought "who the hell wants to get married in a tesco"

memo to self, get glasses checked.........

:-d :-d :-d :-d
  • if you got married in one of the big Tes*o's you could hire their caf! for the reception, and anyone who wanted could do a bit of shopping before they left...… Tes*co could be on to something here.
  • Gloomendoom
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Depends upon what you mean about "outdoor weddings". DS No 3 married outside at the local vineyard in 2015. As long as the venue is licenced for weddings and a Registrar is present, they have been legal for some years x

The place has to be a permanent structure with a roof over it.

It can't be in the open air.
  • thorsoak

This was September 2015 - the Registrar is between bride and groom

P1020053.JPG
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite

Currently for outdoor weddings the structure does have to be permanent, with a fixed roof and a solid floor but not necessarily walls, which is why many licensed venues will have some sort of stone gazebo or "Greek temple" style structure in the grounds for the ceremony to take place in.

It has to be big enough for the two parties, with two registrars (and a table to put the register on) and two witness. The guests can be in the open air.

The proposed changes, when (if) they finally happen are not just about being outdoors, but about relaxing quite a number of rules. The effect should be that there will be many more options available .... which will increase choice and should drive down costs.

Many current venues are getting quite worried and may struggle to survive with their current business model.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure