Paperless payslips

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    I can't imagine HR, Sales, IT and the other business functions communicate using personal email addresses so surely the company must have an internal email system even if the "shopfloor" people don't use it.

The solution here is to extend company email and network access to all employees and provide a few computers with a printer for those who don't need a personal machine.

This sounds like a sensible approach. Suggest that the people approach HR and ask whether payslips can be provided on paper for those who request that format or failing that, that a computer and printer are made available to allow staff to access and print pay-slips at work.

You can then, if you want, offer to hep those individuals actually access and print their pay slips if they don't feel confident to do so
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • cool-dog
    cool-dog Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Will they actually email the payslips though, I have had electronic payslips at my current and previous employer. We get an email to what ever email address you chose saying it is ready to view, then have to log onto a secure website to obtain the payslip
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    cool-dog wrote: »
    Will they actually email the payslips though, I have had electronic payslips at my current and previous employer. We get an email to what ever email address you chose saying it is ready to view, then have to log onto a secure website to obtain the payslip

Which is the "norm" these days. Even banks and utility firms don't "email" their bills. They send an email to tell you there's a new document and you have to login to the secure website/portal to view/print them. So, no, there's probably not a security risk as they won't be emailing the payslips themselves. As said above, probably more secure than sending them by post or using pidgeon holes or internal email systems.
  • p00hsticks wrote: »
    There is also an assumption that email is secure. That is also wrong (just bear in mind the scams where e-mails to from solicitors and buiders are intercepted and payments are directed elsewhere).

Whilst personally I've been happy to receive electronic payslips in the past (viewable and printable over a secure company intranet) I wouldn't be happy to just have them e-mailed to a private unsecure e-mail address.
    Why not though? What do you think would happen if a hacker in Moldova got a copy of them?

We switched to electronic a few years ago, I receive mine in my work inbox and forward them to my Gmail one at home. I’ve no concerns at all about someone I don’t know and will never meet hacking in and having a look.
  • Op here, just a little update.
    We all had a briefing today from HR, basically what they said was, that there was no choice, paperless payslips are the only ones available after the beginning of February. We asked the question about them being emailed internally, but they said no, & reminded us that the company email system is not for personal use. What they have said is that they will be setting up a PC/printer with internet access in the corner of the HR office, that employee's can book a slot in their break/before/after work, to log into the payslip provider's website & access their payslips. They have also said that they will help those with no email accounts, getting one set up with a email provider (& have offered basic training to those with no computer skills)
    So generally most of the guys are now fine with this, with just the two outright refusing to use this, (one of them is the guy with no computer, phone, & as we found out today, doesn't even have a cashpoint card!! - he said he will hand his notice in on the 1st week of February(we are trying to talk him out of it)
    Would like to thank all the above suggestions & comments, which I passed on to the guys that were getting worried about this.
  • Thank you for the update - it's good to see that common sense has prevailed (except in the case of the technology refusnik!)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the update.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If he just ignores them and does not give them an e-mail adreess, they will have no choice but to print out a payslip for him.
    They are legally required to provide everyone with a payslip.
    If they don't have an e-mail address for him, they can't comply with that requirement.

They might start disciplinary procedures against him, or they might not.
    So he might as well just wait and see what happens, rather than resigning.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    JJishere wrote: »
    Op here, just a little update.
    We all had a briefing today from HR, basically what they said was, that there was no choice, paperless payslips are the only ones available after the beginning of February. We asked the question about them being emailed internally, but they said no, & reminded us that the company email system is not for personal use.

That seems a strange excuse. A company sending a document to an employee related to their employment is hardly "personal use". It's exactly the sort of thing that internal email should be used for.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,782 Forumite
    stator wrote: »
    If he just ignores them and does not give them an e-mail adreess, they will have no choice but to print out a payslip for him.

the email address may just be for convenience
    "log into the payslip provider's website & access their payslips" sounds like its just be an email'd link to a web portal so the dedicated PC could just use that as its home page
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure