PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£45 per week housekeeping

Options

Comments

• natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I either get it from the market or if you have a proper butcher they should be able to source in a few days. Currently pay around £3 depending on size.

Interestingly one of the first dishes I cooked after leaving home was rabbit which I got from Sainsbury!!!8217;s. They sold it portions..... but no more :(

Did you know rabbit has almost no nutritional value - its very poor in nutrients and fat, though it does have lean protein content. It is much better for you if you cook it in fat, particularly a rich fat like avocado or coconut
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    natlie wrote: »
    Did you know rabbit has almost no nutritional value - its very poor in nutrients and fat, though it does have lean protein content. It is much better for you if you cook it in fat, particularly a rich fat like avocado or coconut

I can appreciate a vegan diet might benefit from extra nutritious oils. We omnivorous types tend to get plenty of fat in our diets anyway, and lean protein is just what we need!
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    natlie wrote: »
    It is much better for you if you cook it in fat, particularly a rich fat like avocado or coconut

Made me laugh..... getting rabbit cooking tips from a vegan!!

Am having lambs heart tomorrow.... any recipes or cooking advice? LOL
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to do stuffed lambs heart for my endless children.cheap..very timeconsuming...removing all those pipes...
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Personally I would split off about £10 per month for cleaning/toiletries.

That would then give you £42.50pw for food.

Earmark £10 pm for bread/milk/butter.

Leaves £40 pw for food.

You want staples in your cupboards.

Buy a big bag of pasta for about £4 in tesco, couple of packets of rice from aldi/lidl and that should last you a month.

Cheap pita breads are about 30p for 6.

Big bag of spuds about £3.

Bag of red lentils is max £1.50.

The rest you can spend on meat/fish and fresh veg.

Keep an eye on the reduced price section and you can potentially fill your freezer with meat for a month.

It is do able :)
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Eyeore
    Eyeore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    OP you have come to the right place and will get great advice here!

I have managed to reduce my food bill considerably over the last couple of months since unexpectedly become a household of 1. What I have found works is using the freezer properly to stop those !!!8216;popping to the shops!!!8217; moments! So I go to the butcher once a month and buy say 4 chicken breasts or a whole chicken to chop up, 4 pork chops, lamb chops etc. I then go to the big supermarket and buy a bag of salmon fillets, cod or haddock and a big bag of prawns, I also buy frozen peas, sweet corn, sliced peppers, a pack of steam ready mixed veg packs, sweet potato mash and normal mash. This means I have absolutely no excuse not to say to myself I have nothing to eat! I am usually out of the house for 12 hours and can put together a dinner usually in 20mins. I just think the night before what protein I want and get that out to defrost. I also buy frozen and tinned fruit to make sure I have some each day.

I know some people may criticise me for using what is seen as an expensive way of buying veg however due to getting back late and lack of oomph I found I was wasting fruit and veg and that really bothers me. This way I have no waste and if I see some fresh veg I really fancy then I just get enough for a couple of meals and I know I can always use it with whatever is in the freezer or cupboard. Weekends I have time to cook more so that is when I will do a proper recipe, week days just need to be filling and nutritious.

Sorry for the long post....... I should add I always have pasta and rice in the cupboard and milk and bread in the freezer. Hope this helps!
    2019, move forward with positivity! I am the opposite of Eyeore :rotfl:
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made me laugh..... getting rabbit cooking tips from a vegan!!

Am having lambs heart tomorrow.... any recipes or cooking advice? LOL

Well I am a trained chef and have a nutrition diploma - the veganism came later
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP is that amount all you have or is it what you or ANother think you should spend?

I spend a similar amount, maybe a bit less on just me. I could spend less - I'm pretty frugal most of the time but I don't stop myself from being extravagant once or twice every couple of weeks.

When on a limited budget, Lidl and Aldi are your friends. So are yellow stickers and veggie meals. Tell us the type of stuff you like to eat, what your storage facilities are (freezer? Useful cupboard space?) and equipment ( slow cooker? Multi Cooker? Pressure cooker?) and you will get plenty of advice.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 August 2018 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Mr Singleton, a casserole of 1 lamb heart plus 1 lamb kidney both chopped up, mixed with some seasoned flour and lots of herbs and some stock = fake steak and kidney. Way nicer than the traditional stuffed lamb heart.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I would hate the OP's thread get derailed on the subject of 'proper' meat versus 'pretend' meat.
    Back on topic, please.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport