Future Energy Administration

Options
Cossack
Cossack Posts: 17 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 29 August 2018 at 9:44AM in Energy
MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Please don't include personal details of company staff in your posts. Please see our Forum Rules if you're unsure why.

Thank you.

Back to the original post...

---

I was a Future Energy customer until they went bust in January and I jumped ship to EON. I have heard nothing from them or their administrators until today when I received a letter from RSM Restructuring Advisory LLPs appointed representatives, CDS Global Ltd who claim I owe them some money as a former customer of Future Energy. The amount is not a lot (its under £50) but I am unsure whether the letter is bona fide or not. Accompanying the letter is a statement which has all the relevant information (start date, end date, tariff, unit rate etc.) so it looks genuine. Has anyone else had a similar letter and can anyone confirm if the request is genuine?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    RSM Restructuring would appear to be the appointed administrators:

https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2962544
  • totalguitar
    totalguitar Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    I also received a letter asking for £321. They have based this on an estimate of what they calculated I used. Luckily I keep accurate meter readings on a spreadsheet and know I only owe them around £18.

I have replied via email telling them I won't be paying any estimated bill and have also asked to be added to the creditors list as Future Energy still owe me money from when I changed to them with a positive balance which they promised but never repaid. I left them 2 days before they went bust.

They word the letter like they are doing you a favour, very cheeky !
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also received a letter asking for £321. They have based this on an estimate of what they calculated I used. Luckily I keep accurate meter readings on a spreadsheet and know I only owe them around £18.

I have replied via email telling them I won't be paying any estimated bill and have also asked to be added to the creditors list as Future Energy still owe me money from when I changed to them with a positive balance which they promised but never repaid. I left them 2 days before they went bust.

They word the letter like they are doing you a favour, very cheeky !

1. The "positive balance" you had when switching to Future Energy would be owed by the supplier you had before them.
    2. Future Energy administrators should only charge you up to the opening readings you gave to your new supplier - you did give readings when you switched away?
  • piesrcool
    Options
    I had the same today, a letter saying I owe £73.11 based on my estimated usage - by my calculations they owe me £22. I've emailed but as these are the debt collectors I'd imagine they will just keep sending letters, my concern is that they will just blindly pursue the money irrespective of any error. I switched a few days before they went under - how do we go about getting money owed?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    piesrcool wrote: »
    I switched a few days before they went under - how do we go about getting money owed?

This might be the issue:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2018/06/consultation_licence_changes_solr.pdf

Quote: Presently, the industry arrangements do not enable the SoLR to recover costs associated with honouring credit balances for customers who have switched away from the failing supplier at the date the supplier fails. Unquote

It would seem that Ofgem may not have thought about customers owed money after switching when they brought in the Consumer Levy. In fairness to Ofgem, the Coop did pay my GBEnergy credit even though I was with another supplier when GBEnergy failed.
  • totalguitar
    totalguitar Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    1. The "positive balance" you had when switching to Future Energy would be owed by the supplier you had before them.
    2. Future Energy administrators should only charge you up to the opening readings you gave to your new supplier - you did give readings when you switched away?

1. Future Energy said otherwise and they would sort it out.
    2. Yes I gave readings, still have the emails and have told the administrators.

My worry is how many people will receive an estimated bill and just pay up. Shouldn't be allowed.
  • Ricard00
    Options
    I didn't have a meter reading when they went bust as I was spending most of my time at the other end of the country about then.

I have a bill (estimated) for £333.75)

I did have a meter reading when I joined Future Energy.

For 237 days on the supply, they can't possibly be £333.57 out!
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    thats why you should send in regular readings and check your account regularly (and download statements regularly) so when it hits the fan you've got up-to-date accurate info that's hopefully no more than a month out of date.

Just waiting for for a quarterly estimated bill is a recipe for disaster
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cossack
    Cossack Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've kept all the details and meter readings from when I started and left Future Energy.

I was with FE for approximately 1 year and 3 weeks.

They've slightly underestimated for the electric and slightly overestimated for the gas. However, the tariffs they quoted in their statement are for the fixed rates that FE had from the period just before I switched to EON - for the majority of the time I was on their previous fix which was lower than the one CDS Global quoted in their settlement - even though they say "as a gesture of goodwill, all of your consumption has been charged at the tariff you joined on".

I have emailed them with all thses details, but noticed that their email address on their letter has the mail name as "FutureEnergy Admin" - i.e. with a space, which mail wont accept, so I withdrew the space and the email went - hopefully.
  • TC0507
    TC0507 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I also received a letter this week but when I checked the figures they had used they had overestimated by quoie a lot. They have advised I owe them £173 but based on the figures I supplied to my new energy firm they actually owe me £270.00.

I have contacted them on the email address provided and am awaiting a response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure