pillow for neck pain

I have a lot of neck pain at night. I am looking for a pillow that will help with this and give me neck support when i sleep
There are a lot to choose from bur all quite pricy so i dont want to shell out for one and find it is no good.
Not keen on the memory foam type.
Any help apprieciated.

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    aloise wrote: »
    I have a lot of neck pain at night. I am looking for a pillow that will help with this and give me neck support when i sleep
    There are a lot to choose from bur all quite pricy so i dont want to shell out for one and find it is no good.
    Not keen on the memory foam type.
    Any help apprieciated.

Before buying a pillow which might do more harm than good, can you ask your doctor to refer you for MRI and physio? I had just a few twinges a while ago which I just happened to mention when he asked "anything else I can help with". He sent me for an MRI when I was diagnosed with some arthritis in the neck, then I had follow ups with a physio who has given me a series of exercises which have helped considerably. The physio will be the best person to advise on a pillow.
  • aloise
    aloise Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Before buying a pillow which might do more harm than good, can you ask your doctor to refer you for MRI and physio? I had just a few twinges a while ago which I just happened to mention when he asked "anything else I can help with". He sent me for an MRI when I was diagnosed with some arthritis in the neck, then I had follow ups with a physio who has given me a series of exercises which have helped considerably. The physio will be the best person to advise on a pillow.

Thank you for that. My doctor will only dicuss one problem at a time so wouldnt dicuss my neck problem at all, said i had to make another appointment to discuss this.I hatr going there as it is 2 buses and i am not very mobile at the moment.
    I know i should go but looking foe an easier option
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you for that. My doctor will only dicuss one problem at a time so wouldnt dicuss my neck problem at all, said i had to make another appointment to discuss this.I hatr going there as it is 2 buses and i am not very mobile at the moment.

You don't need a pillow, you need to change doctor.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You don't need a referral from your GP to see a private physio - and it does sound as if that might be a good investment.
  • I’ve debated long and hard before replying to your post as I don’t want to sound deluded. I can’t help with a pillow recommendation but I have a friend who was in tremendous neck pain from arthritis. She read about the anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric and started drinking one cup of turmeric tea a day. I saw her some time later and the difference was amazing.

I was suffering with hip pain to the point it was keeping me awake at night and I was going upstairs on all fours. I’m not a great believer in these sort of things but decided to give it a go. I couldn’t believe it. After four days I could notice a real difference and three months later I woke up for the first time in five years pain free. I mentioned it to another friend who suffered with neck pain and it worked for her.

We use Pukka Turmeric Gold teabags. They cost around £2.50 for 40 at Boots, Holland & Barratt, Tesco, Sainsbury etc. I would say it’s worth a try for £2.50.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OP you should be able to book a "double appointment" with your surgery, that way you can talk about two things in one appointment. Take a written down note to yourself on what exactly you want to mention and what results you are hoping for (eg a referral, medication, a scan...etc) and if those don't happen, ask your GP why they have decided to do or not do what was on the list.

The way things like this work (and my GP explained this to me in person) are that initially the minimal step or steps is/are done, with the expectation that you will return for help if this does not work.
    Then the next level up is offered/given and if this doesn't work they expect you back...etc until you have an answer. But no one ever explains this, so many times people try the first step offered, don't get results and think nothing can help them and give up, and live grumpily in agony. Don't forget to keep going back until they have given you a conclusive answer you are satisfied with; nothing vague or guessed but an actual end conclusion.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ...but bear in mind that 'end conclusion' does sometimes have to be that nothing further can be done (at least not on the NHS).
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pun wrote: »
    ...but bear in mind that 'end conclusion' does sometimes have to be that nothing further can be done (at least not on the NHS).
    Yes I agree- but at least then you know there is nothing more that can be done or offered. It's until you are told that you can keep asking and getting help or info which can then lead to more suitable help/support but no one ever tells you that you are expected to keep asking for help until you have some sort of answer. Basicly if you don't go back your GP assumes you have recovered.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Apx £40 to see a Osteopath, well worth it.
  • [QUOTE=jenniewb;7354654

The way things like this work (and my GP explained this to me in person) are that initially the minimal step or steps is/are done, with the expectation that you will return for help if this does not work..[/QUOTE]

This certainly wasn't my experience. When I presented with a very painful neck, my GP examined me and subsequently booked me an appointment for a course of acupuncture with another GP in our Practice. The acupuncture really helped and I would certainly say it might be worth 'giving it a go' :). I've also received physio for the same problem and was advised by the physio to sleep on one pillow only - she didn't advocate using one designed for neck problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure