Add your feedback on energy supplier So Energy

Comments

• All lock in exit fees make a non sense of the so called 'competative market' in many sectors. If you are locked in with little or no gain from switching after the fees what is the point. OVO started out with no exit fees which is why I joined, they changed the contract towards the end of my fixed with them and now I can switch fee free. Low rates and little or no exit fee is a beacon to me, as a lower risk switch. Thanks to all who have posted here, it's helping me make the leap!
    Peace.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I've just switched on a cost basis as my current supplier, Green Star Energy (fix ending soon), has been great, absolutely no complaints. So energy estimates my monthly payments should be £20 per month less than it is now, but this has been built up by lower rates and standing charges and my estimate of the reduction of use for having replaced the 29 year old boiler and the presence of Hive, which I'll enjoy using!

So, I can't be as certain that I'm right in my estimate of usage for next year (I've reduced it by 10%, our previous boiler was very inefficient). However, I will review it each month as I always do and raise or further lower the monthly dd as needed.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • lisa110rry
    Forumite
    Today (as expected and pre-warned) I received an email from So Energy asking for meter readings, which I supplied. There was a little "flash" on screen so I did telephone and spoke with a lovely lady just to confirm they had received them - she read them out to me. Then I tried to put the same readings in to my account screen for Green Star and it would take my gas reading, but not my electricity reading. Tried using the automated system, failed, held the line (not long and free call) to give the reading verbally but the operative said that as my switch was in progress the reading would have to come from the new supplier. Okay, but Green Star did an estimated reading on 1st September which was a slight over-estimation. No matter, I keep a spreadsheet and record at least monthly readings.

My calculations show that I have underpaid by £7.51 over the past 12 months, pretty good estimating, eh?

When chatting to the new supplier operative, I mentioned our new boiler fitted in June to replace the 29-year-old one and the fact that I had under-estimated our usage for next year by 10% on that basis, but really I had no idea and she said that was okay because they review payments after six months.

We shall see...so far very good customer service.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • Switched mid August and got an email next day confirming the switch from EON would be on the 9th September. Got a welcome pack in the post and was asked for meter readings on the 8th September. Switch took place on the 9th and a week later I had an email from EON with closing account details and promise to refund £200 credit within 10 days.

This could not have been simpler. So far - BRILLIANT.
  • Things seem to be going well here. On the 14th September, So Energy took a payment as I had been warned they would, that's fine. The really good thing is that the previous supplier, Green Star, have not taken a payment (yet!) on the 26th September (today). If they did, it wouldn't put me into hardship but would be annoying.
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • lisa110rry
    Forumite
    Things are still looking good! Just back from a week's leave, and picked up my first monthly energy statement by email from So Energy. The usage is estimated, but this is because the one-month portal opened on 13th October but I was travelling abroad that day early in the morning so could not supply readings. The estimates are very slightly high, but to be fair we really have no way of predicting our gas usage this year as we replaced the 29 year old boiler in June, so I just took last year's total and reduced it by a notional 10%.

There's a lovely visual graph showing usage of fuel, both electricity and gas, on the website, I do like that!

To top it off, I emailed So Energy through the website portal to ask if the statements were monthly and got a response within 30 minutes!
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • lisa110rry
    Forumite
    Yep, still absolutely delighted with So Energy. They send a "statement" each month, and as long as you read the meter regularly, everything is very smooth. I emailed So Energy to say how pleased I was and within minutes got a reply informing me that so long as I read the meters on the 13th of each month there will be no estimating at all.

Because they send a monthly statement, my energy usage spreadsheet can be even more accurate than before as I know the calorific value they are using for each month. Excellent!
    ― Julian of Norwich
  • GOOD

I moved my mum & dad to SO earlier in the year. The charging was competitive, but for them there was the issue of a good rating on customer service. They are in their 80's and I didn't want any sharp practices.

We had an initial blip when setting up the account, I emailed in and they sorted it out fully understanding my invovlment.

Wished I'd gone with them as well instead of GBenergy who are a shambles.
  • AndyJ52
    AndyJ52 Posts: 77
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anyone got anything more recent to add to the positive reviews posted here. Just weighing up whether to switch to Avro Energy or So Energy because my current deal, MSE's BG Collective Fix Feb 2017, is coming to an end and would like the latest picture of So Energy's customer service ratings.

Thanks in advance for any info that you'd care to share.
    Cheers! AJ
  • lisa110rry
    Forumite
    I'm still happy. Every month on the 13th I record a meter reading and every month on the 14th I get a statement of account. All's well. I am, however, hovering some 30-35% lower than estimated because of the new boiler (honestly, it's astonishing) so my monthly payment will no doubt be lowered in another two months' time.
    ― Julian of Norwich
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport