Possible IN10

Hi all, just looking for some advice/information from people who may have been in a similar situation

I had a small bump in October (my fault) and got home later the same day to a letter from the insurance company that they’d ended my policy a few days before.

I’m looking at an IN10 for no insurance (not counting out due care and attention either)

I have a couple of queries as I’ve never been in this situation before and I’m getting anxious of timescales, to be honest I just want it done and out of the way as soon as possible.

First question is, how long does in normally take for the Police to issue paperwork? I received and returned the request to identify the driver (myself) mid December and have yet to hear anything back as I was expecting either an FPN or summons through the door first week of January.

Next question, in light of having been at fault for the bump, am I likely to get an FPN or something more severe?

Final one is, does any conviction apply from the date of the offence or the date it was actually confirmed? This is really where I’d like to get it sorted as obviously the longer it takes the longer I’m going to have it on my records

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You're likely to get a summon/postal charge as there's been an accident.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Insurance co. can end the policy before they tell you?
  • Thanks for the response Andy, any idea what punishment they might impose for it?

@DoaM There’s no grace period to account for the 3 days or so between them cancelling it and issuing the letter and me actually getting the letter. Just got to suck it up given the cost of me trying to fight it versus the potential penalty and rise in insurance for a couple of years
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MikeyB1987 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response Andy, any idea what punishment they might impose for it?

@DoaM There’s no grace period to account for the 3 days or so between them cancelling it and issuing the letter and me actually getting the letter. Just got to suck it up given the cost of me trying to fight it versus the potential penalty and rise in insurance for a couple of years

If it goes to court the fine is unlimited and there is possibility of being disqualified.

The starting point however is six points and a fine of £300.
  • Cheers. Hoping for the 6 points and £300 but braced for worse!
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MikeyB1987 wrote: »
    Cheers. Hoping for the 6 points and £300 but braced for worse!

That's a fixed penalty and without victim surcharge and court costs.

It's be a percentage of your weekly pay and a third off for an early guilty plea if you go to court.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    To answer the first question, the police have six months to start court proceedings, and usually take most of that.
    Any points count from the date of offence, not of conviction.
  • Thanks for the info
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DoaM wrote: »
    Insurance co. can end the policy before they tell you?

They shouldn't. They are supposed to give you written notice before they cancel the policy.

If they don't tell you, then you have a potential argument that you were insured, even if the insurance company subsequently say you weren't. That's the sort of thing where you need a good lawyer, not just a bunch of people on an internet forum.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ectophile wrote: »
    They shouldn't. They are supposed to give you written notice before they cancel the policy.

If they don't tell you, then you have a potential argument that you were insured, even if the insurance company subsequently say you weren't. That's the sort of thing where you need a good lawyer, not just a bunch of people on an internet forum.
    This.

My understanding has always been that the insurance company HAS to give you notice, or at least attempt to give you reasonable notice that they are cancelling the policy.

Sending the letter out the same day they decide to cancel, or even worse sending it out after the date they've decided to cancel it on, without any other notification would, I should hope be an instant loss at the insurance ombudsman,for them as they've done it in such a way you have no way to know that you are no longer covered.

This assumes no emails, text messages, or phone conversations were had where the end of cover was reported, or that there was no warning that it would be stopped on such and such date unless payment made or documentation presented (IE behind on payment, or didn't send copies of driving licence/proof of no claims).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure