To hand in notice?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Will your new employer not want a reference from your current role?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    toffee_pie wrote: »
    Question guys - my notice is done but what is killing me is my notice period, I dont really want to work there anymore and the traffic is horrendous (one of the reasons i am leaving) - 2.5 hours in the car each day for nothing, can I leave this job sooner without doing all the notice period?

Think i would have been better off to have got fired, then I would have been paid a month without needing to attend?

If you are fired you either leave immediately and don't get paid (if fired for gross misconduct) or have to work out your notice. Your employer could put you on gardening leave (i.e. pay you to stay at home) but unless your role is very sensitive or they have reason not to trust you to be professional, it isn't something that happens automatically.

You could ask whether they would agree to you working a shorter notice period,so you don't have to go to work, but of course the cost would be that you wouldn't get paid either.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • elsien wrote: »
    Will your new employer not want a reference from your current role?
    no reference asked, i probably would not give a ref anyway due to the short length of the job - I have plenty more ones to give
  • TBagpuss wrote: »
    If you are fired you either leave immediately and don't get paid (if fired for gross misconduct) or have to work out your notice. Your employer could put you on gardening leave (i.e. pay you to stay at home) but unless your role is very sensitive or they have reason not to trust you to be professional, it isn't something that happens automatically.

You could ask whether they would agree to you working a shorter notice period,so you don't have to go to work, but of course the cost would be that you wouldn't get paid either.

there was no gross misconduct, it would have been most likely pay in lieu of notice - so a better outcome than where I am basically.

"Probationary review meeting dismissal

The trial period is all about testing the recruit for long enough to decide whether they can fulfil their role, and whether they fit into your company culture. If you choose to fail their probation review, this will often precede dismissal.

You must still give the staff member their notice period, as well as any remaining accrued pro-rata holiday pay.

An employee on probation will normally have a shorter notice period in their contract than an employee who has passed.

There are certain requirements for notice periods that you must know. For example, staff who have worked for you for at least one month are entitled to at least one week's notice."

oh well, I can chat with HR and see can I leave sooner, with or without pay as twiddling my thumbs and stuck in traffic 13 hours a week is not much fun for either of us
  • All,

Quick update - this is done, I handed in my notice last Wed and Thursday I was told i could leave with no need to work for the notice period (its a 1 hour+ commute and not going to be involved in new projects so pointless going to work) - my last pay will be end of February (to include the January month plus the notice period and holidays) - is this normal? why not just pay everything at the end of January?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    All,

Quick update - this is done, I handed in my notice last Wed and Thursday I was told i could leave with no need to work for the notice period (its a 1 hour+ commute and not going to be involved in new projects so pointless going to work) - my last pay will be end of February (to include the January month plus the notice period and holidays) - is this normal? why not just pay everything at the end of January?

Because they don't want to?

Given how lucky you are, do you really want to rock the boat?

The employer could always demand you turn up and sit at your desk with no work to do for the next 4 weeks.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    All,

Sorry but you really do want jam on it don't you! The company is probably just as pleased to see the back of you as you are of them which is why they don't want you to work your notice period.

Every company has their cut off date for payroll and it you only handed your notice in a few days ago you probably missed cut off.

Irrespective of whether you work the notice period or not, your official end of employment will be a month from when you handed in your notice, so that is when your final pay becomes due.

May I suggest you look back at your post made at 10:19 on 15th Jan and reflect on the fact that you seem to be blaming all the problems on other people, and none of it on your own decisions? If you go into a new job with that attitude you are likely to find that job just as unsuited to your expectations.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    why not just pay everything at the end of January?

They've almost certainly completed January's payroll by now. From their perspective why put themselves out for someone who's leaving?

Good luck with the new job!
  • Rule 24

Also, let them get rid of you!
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pmduk wrote: »
    They've almost certainly completed January's payroll by now. From their perspective why put themselves out for someone who's leaving?

Good luck with the new job!

Just about to say the same, January payroll is probably complete by now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family